Just ordered a new Propane tank (4.25 Lb)

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by silvermickey2002, Sep 4, 2016.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

After our trip to Acadia and New Hampshire we came home and I realized that I ended up with 8 empty green propane bottles (1 lb). That's a collection over the last 2 years. We paid about $4.50 each.

So, I finally decided to purchase a small refillable propane tank. I purchased a 4.25 Lb tank from Home Depot. I paid $52.97 +tax and got free shipping to the house. I figure it cost me $18 to fill a 20 Lb tank, so it should cost about $4.00 - $5.00 to fill this one. This should pay for itself within two years.

I do not want to refill the green bottles. I figure if I run out of propane while we are camping I can always get the tank refilled since most of the campgrounds we have been to refill tanks. We will use this for our stoves and Coleman HWOD unit.

This is the one I just purchased:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthington-Pro-Grade-4-25-lb-Empty-Propane-Tank-281149/202034835

2. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

Nice, I really like the small tanks. They are super useful.
    Remember also that your supposed to have them pressure tested every few years. I think it's every 10... Might be 12.

3. silvermickey2002

Yup, every 12 years. Just got rid of a 20 Lb tank a few years ago. It was an old tank, about 15-16 years old. Did not bother getting it re-certified. Was having a problem with the valve so just turned it in to the propane dealer to be recycled. Looking forward to having this small tank that is equal to 4 of the small green bottles!!

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Gary,
    Keep in mind Jersey doesn't refill by the pound. It's usually 20 dollars or so to fill a 20 but I am not sure they will even fill what you have. They can fill it but will they?
    Let us know.

5. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

Really, I would think Jersey of all places would require fill by volume not fixed price.
    I have a few friends from NPGA that work up that way, I'll have to ask them what's up.

6. tombiasi

We can't even pump our own gas in Jersey.

7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I just finished a 16 day trip out to Acadia from MN. I took 4 refilled green bottles with. I used two of them on the trip and that was grilling every night of one sort or another. When I refill my bottles, I put them in the freezer overnight first and they get pretty full, not as full as the new bottles I'm sure, but pretty full just the same. I bought the bottle filling adapter on ebay for $9.95. For me, it is nice to just refill my bottles at my house when they get empty and know that I am set for camping.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here the re-certification is every 10 years.. At $52 could have bought a 30lb tank for the same price...lol I know a few folks who got some of the 10lb tanks that were available up here a few years ago and they swear they will pay to re-certify them as those same tanks if you can find one costs more then a 30lb'er ...

I gave up using those green 1lb bombs years ago and got the adapter hose and just use a 20lb tank for the stoves and bbq..

9. tombiasi

I get about three days out of a 1 pound bottle. I make coffee and breakfast. Dinner is on the campfire, lunch is usually a sandwich.
    I have an adapter and hose but most of the time I don't bring the tank.

10. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

In Michigan, New Lp tanks are good for 12 years from stamped date on tank which is usually on valve guard of tank. When tank certifaction expires they need to be re certified and re stamped or marked with viibripen that has a code and date it took place. This Recert is good for 7 years. cost is about $4 for recert. Be sure they purge the tank before they fill it for the first time. Legally Lp dealers are not suppose to refill tanks that are over expiration date. Usually a refill will be 3 to 5 dollars cheaper than an exchange IE, Blue Rino. Around here Blue Rino is 20 exchange Ace Hardware is 14 refill your tank. Also be aware that when you refill it usually is 80 to 85% of capacity. to allow for expansion and gassification of the LP fuel. At 80 degrees, Tank pressure is about 108 PSI and will very as temp drops or rises.

11. tombiasi

There is no regulation requiring them to do so with 20 pound tanks. Motor homes or propane vehicles are metered.
    I think it's just what the re-fillers want to do.
    My point was it may not be easy to find someone to refill a 4.5 pound tank and charge by the pound. If you bring a 1/2 full tank for refill it is still 20 bucks. No law involved, just they way they do it.

12. silvermickey2002

Friend of ours has a motorhome and he brings it to a local propane dealer to get his two 30 lb tanks filled. They charge him by the liquid gallon.

When we camp we either use 1 or 2 stoves depending on what our menus are. We also have a Coleman HWOD unit. I can go thru 2-3 bottles of propane unless I bring a 2nd 20 lb tank with my adapters and hoses. That's why I want the 4.25 tank. Easy to handle and store.

And yes, I know it will have to be purged because it's brand new. No problem!

Some campgrounds we have been to charge by the pound to refill a tank.

13. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Recertify is a national standard, not a state standard. For the smaller tanks, 30# and less it is 10 yrs. For the 100# and more, it is 12 yrs. Typically when they recertify a tank, the valve is removed and replaced with a new one. These valves are normally around $15-20. The tanks are then pressure tested in a big bathtub to make sure there are no leaks and then cleaned and repainted.There are not a lot of places thatare licensed to recertify the tanks. That is why most people just junk them and buy new. If someone is charging you $4 to revert them I would ask for a copy of their licence to revert. You are putting your life and your families life at stake if not done properly.

14. tombiasi

FYI:
    The big bathtub is a hydro test well. The tank is filled with water and then pressurized. The purpose is to note the percentage of expansion of the tank not to check for leaks.

15. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Tom, you are correct on the water test! I was typing faster than my mind could keep up!

16. tombiasi

I never have that problem. Not because my mind is so fast but because my typing is so slow. :)

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I just take my tanks to Dollar General and they swap the tank out for a good one but I check the cert. dates and get the latest date , I also get the tanks filled at my local feed store for $12.00. The little green bottles I fill myself and have for years, I have an adapter that screws on the large tank and fills the green tanks, trick is to put the green tanks (empty of course) in the freezer for awhile first and they fill up quicker .