Just ordered my Bal

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by cssweeney, Aug 9, 2014.

1. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

I should be getting it any day. Is it pretty easy to use? Any tips would he helpful. I say this cause I usually camp by myself.

Candy,
    1989 Coleman Newport

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I found it easy to use. Depending on how off level you are you may need to do a lot of cranking. Keep the screw lubed and clean.

3. rcguy

rcguy New Member

You are going to like it. You ma g have to crank some unless the site is fairly level but it sure beats driving back and forth on blocks.
    It chocks the wheel securely also. I would not want to be without one.

4. zendecat

zendecat Member

Bal levelers are wonderful! Like Tom said, keep the screw lubed for easier cranking. I just crank it up while DW watches the levels. I still have mine in it's original box for transport. I keep it just inside the doorway...first thing to come out when we get to the campsite. :)

5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Very easy to use. Does get tough to crank if you're near the top of the jack screw. If I have to go that high, which is rare, I usually throw a couple of 3/4" pieces of plywood under the BAL before I start using it. I sometimes use a 18v drill with a universal joing and 3/4" socket to speed things up. Still go slow but easier because all you have to do is brace the drill. YMMV.

6. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

Best pop up accessory that I've purchased. I do the same as zendecat. I even set my grill on the box to eliminate the grill from sliding on and scratching the linoleum flooring.

7. kstephens

kstephens Member

I'm glad to hear this. I just ordered one as well. Thank goodness for this site. Being new to the camper world, I had no clue how to properly level a trailer. I am just two weeks in to the camper, and have a level driveway, so it hasn't been needed. I am taking it out for the first time this coming weekend to a local campground with the family and I will try out the Bal. Luckily, I live in an area surrounded by campgrounds to get the hang of it before we venture to florida in october.

8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

When the Bal is shipped it has a small amount of grease on the threads that is only to protect the metal. DO NOT USE until liberally coating the entire threaded shaft with grease. Many have made the mistake of thinking it was ready to use and destroyed the threaded shaft and socket in only one use!

9. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

KStephens, the BAL is a real nuisance reducer. In return for money and some weight and bulk you get a device that allows you to precisely adjust to side to side level, and re-adjust easily if things have settled a bit after a day. We really like that feature, for many of our stops are not in formal campgrounds.

We currently stow ours wrapped in a piece of old canvas tarp, but will shortly acquire a pizza deivery bag or sew somthing up out of vinyl fabric. The screw has been greased with wheel bearing grease, and goes in a heavy plastic bag to keep the grease where it belongs. Most any grease will do- Lubriplate (tm) can be bought in a convenient tube and is good for other things that need help sliding around.

10. Strut

Strut Member

I just got one and it is great! Probably the best $80 spent on the PUP yet. My stabilizer jacks also use a 3/4" socket so my factory hand crank and/or 18v power drill make quick work of leveling her out.

Mine stores perfectly on top of the water heater box in the front storage compartment with just a couple of Velcro straps to keep it in place.

11. banks412

banks412 New Member

Can I ask where you guys are ordering your levelers from? Any place have a better deal than another?

12. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

I ordered our BAL from Adventure RV on eBay. Free shipping, and no sales tax (if I remember correctly).

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Keep a close watch on the lift screw and trunnion threads. The first time I used ours with the supplied ratchet wrench, the threads got razor sharp. No problem, I contacted Norco Industries customer support via email. Told them what happened and they sent a free replacement immediately, no questions asked.

Use plenty of high pressure grease on the screw threads and they'll last.

Storing the BAL without getting grease all over everything is a problem a lot of owners solve by storing it in a 24"x24" pizza delivery bag.

I modded mine so the greasy parts store conveniently in an ABS tube that attaches with Velcro then added some homemade clips to hold the frame together while stored.

You can check out my BAL mod here:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=76590.msg705287

I use a 1/2" cordless impact wrench with a 3/4" socket and universal joint to crank the BAL up and down in seconds. Some would recommend against it but I've done it all season without any problems. Again, proper lubrication is key.