...just passing through

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Kampus, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Are you one of those that finds joy in walking right through others campsites?
    Tired of the dirty looks, comments, and confrontations?
    Why not just drive through instead? Its fast, reckless, and there are multiple obstacles to dodge for your touring pleasure.

This past weekend while breaking down camp a car came barreling down the old washed out trail to the bathrooms behind our site (which is clearly not a road). They only slowed down to narrowly avoid hitting the camper while running over my power cord and almost my generator. The DW luckily grabbed the dog because he would have ran out in front of them. They drove partially through the woods to get around my truck.....just staring at us the whole time....even after I called them out....and out the actual entrance they went...:mad:

Had the camera recording our take down...watch under my right bunk

J Starsky likes this.
  2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I wish I could say that surprised me but as inconsiderate as people have become in campgrounds anymore nothing really surprises me anymore.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Wow! That's just plain sh!**y. People need to smarten up... or go away....

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Comparing your movements to the vehicle I didn't see any "barreling". It looked like the vehicle was moving quite slowly. Perhaps you saw something the video didn't show.

Minimalist likes this.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

You can see that they came up fairly fast, but the video doesn't show that they almost hit the camper - just that they slowed down when they came up to the camper.

I try to let stuff like this roll off. It's not worth the aggravation.

I will say this is a good reminder to always have your dog on a leash. Stuff like this can happen at any time for any reason and it's better to be safe.

6. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

I didn't notice the vehicle until he was entering the site....that's how quick they came in. If you notice, my wife came running out of the camper to grab the dog, when she heard them spinning tires...its a bog....i was pretty much clueless until that point. They slowed down to a crawl after running over my power cord and entering the site since they had to drive through brush, stumps and rocks to exit the site. I don't care if they were pushing the car. It was reckless and uncalled for...and I am not sure why you feel the need to question it....unless you were the one driving...the car did have Jersey plates....is this normal for you guys? [:D]

Seriously....doing 15 mph down this trail is "barreling". The fact remains, how would you feel if someone straight up drove through your campsite?
    20190825_125420.jpg

7. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

The dog was leashed to the camper.... but had enough slack to get into the path.

The car had about 2 feet of clearance to clear the camper. You can see the ruts they dug in spinning tires...had they grabbed traction, they would have smacked the camper. Its difficult to tell from the pics and video. Cleared the truck by about a foot.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  8. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

I tend to agree, a simple "oh sh*t, we're sorry" would have made all the difference in the world...instead we got a dirty look, like it was our fault. No one has any manners anymore.

Arlyn Aronson and neighbormike like this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

How do you think they ended up on that road? Looks like they got in over their heads and were probably glad to have found an exit.

Toedtoes likes this.
  10. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I would be aggravated and use foul language.
    DW would tell me to calm down and watch my mouth.
    Then we would get back to work packing up the camper.

Kampus likes this.
  11. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Was it young people driving that auto? Old and lost? Hummmmm maybe you need to try camping off grid. [8D]

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

They most likely drive like that on the roads too.

13. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

My wife has a look, and a shoulder grab, that stops me dead in my tracks.
    It is what has kept me from being incarcerated many times.
    It would have been deployed on this day in history...

You are fair game to toss firewood at these yohos and let the ranger figure it out after.

neighbormike likes this.
  14. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Actually, we were 'off-grid' a few years ago when a vehicle zoomed into our campsite and halted abruptly. No one got out. The site is at the end of a quarter mile dirt track and it's clearly visible as the end from the road. We were startled and a bit angry. Then a woman almost stumbled out and apologized, saying they had an emergency at their campsite and this was the only spot that she knew with cell phone reception. An apology or at least an explanation makes a big difference.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. penny

penny Well-Known Member

There is something so invasive about someone driving through one's campsite. very annoying!

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I learned a long time ago that you can't control how other people react. I never expect or insist on an apology. Instead, I respond in a way that reduces the other's guilt and therefore their instinct to become defensive.

If this had happened to me, I would have just let it go. Or I would have wandered over to them with a smile and said something like "sorry for staring, I just got a bit startled as I was focused on my take down. Is everything OK?". No accusations, no threats - just a diffusing of tension and a question of well-being. No suppositions of error on their part which means no need for them to go on offense. Turn it onto MY reaction rather than theirs.

They might have responded abruptly - that's OK. We all get frustrated at times. Or they might have commented about having taken a wrong turn or a bathroom emergency or something else. Either way, I didn't do anything that would escalate any tension.

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Just curious if it was/is an old forest road? Maybe they could have been following the GPS- it can take you places that you should not go. Once you get going on some back roads, you don't dare slow down until you get into a safe area.

We were camped at Indian Creek Campground on site #2. We had to drive through site #1 to get in and out. I'm sure from the right angle, it would look like we were driving through their site. Well, because we were.

18. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Doubt it. Its a privately owned campground and the trail is only about 100 feet long. From the top of it you could see our camper through the trees. There are a few other "shortcut" trails that are off the main road that lead directly to the bathrooms, trash, or around the entry gates. The others are marked for golf carts, bikes, or foot traffic only. This one is not. I always assumed it was one of them. I guess based on appearance they assumed no one would dare attempt it in a car or truck.

I tend to think they were on the hunt for left behind firewood. We passed them on our way out at another campsite unloading. My wife was upset enough to mention it to the owners, they were sitting out as we left. They said vehicles have no business on that trail, let alone on someone else's campsite. He couldn't believe they even fit. He was also familiar with the individual and wasn't too happy about it. They apologized...didn't need to. They are good people. We have been camping at this place for over 15 years. The old owners were, near the end were terrible at managing the place and just plain grumpy. They stopped taking care of the place. The new owners have probably been there 4 or 5 years now and do a good job a organizing events and dealing with BS.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  19. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

You must either have; A: more training in this field or, B: Lower blood pressure than me. [:)C]

tfischer and Kampus like this.
  20. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Truth