Just put a down payment on a Grand Design Imagine 2800BH

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by mpking, Jul 20, 2020.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

We'd decided to upgrade about 2 weeks ago, and had pretty much settled on Hybrids. But we spent many hours discussing our needs and wants, and the things we wanted to do for the next 5 years, and a Hybrid wouldn't check EVERY single box. (It got all the important ones).

I think the straw that broke the camel's back was that I could buy a Travel Trailer cheaper than I could by a Hybrid, and have more space / features.

I still figured we'd buy at the end of this season when the glut of campers comes onto the market.

We went to camping world, not to buy a trailer, but to become familiar with the floor plans.
    There is only so much the walkthru videos, 360 views, and stock photos can tell you.

They had a 2017 Grand Design come in for trade yesterday. We toured it, a Coleman (with an identical floor plan) and a Cougar, (with a slightly different floor plan (Kitchen on the slide out)

We the first of 6 people to tour it, and at 19k, we decided to jump. It's a decent price I think based on research. (I see a 2015 for 18k, and a 2018 for 30k, so who's to judge)

[​IMG]

Downside to buying from a dealer, no extras. :-(

Since I'm graduating from a popup to a Massive (to me) trailer, I got a lot of research.

Any tips on a Weight Distribution Hitch? (GVWR 7,495 lbs. Hitch Weight 580 lbs, towed by a 2012 Tundra.)

What other things will I need short term?
    Sewer hose?

(I have water hoses and extension cords, plus all our normal camping gear, I'm just thinking TT specific)

2. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

32 feet long!! that is wayyyy to long for me LOL. Congratulations and hope you have many great trips in it. you will find that it will be easier to back into a site than the popup was - or you may just go for the pull through more often :).
    There is not alot of new stuff you "need" when you go from a popup to a TT - other than the sewer stuff. So, yes - you will need a sewer hose (or as we like to call them - the stinky slinky). I also like a clear elbow connection when we dump, i put it on the camper outlet and then attach the slinky - i can see when the black tank is drained so i can switch to dumping the gray (gray will be the hose flush). The clear elbow also works when i get the chance to flush/rinse the black tank - once it runs clear, the tank is pretty well flushed. Keep separate your clean water (drinking) hose and the hose you use for the black tank flush.
    If you have a site with sewer hookup, keep the black tank closed and then dump when 2/3 full - otherwise - you risk the dreaded poo tower of doom....

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

- fold flat step stool
    - a 12V USB charging port with voltage readout
    - Fantastic fan or Maxxair vent fan
    - small vacuum cleaner
    - Metal lanyard for camper keys to go on beltloop when TT is locked
    - Extra TP, black tank chemicals, and a tank wash wand (unless built in flushing)
    - A Rhino Blaster Pro for tank flushing (unless built in flashing)
    - A check to make sure TV jack and lug wrench fits TT lug nuts and can lift axles
    - An in-fridge battery operated fridge fan
    - In-line water pressure regulator (inline filter if so inclined)
    - Surge protector of some sort
    - TPMS
    - Remote Rear Trailer Camera

Congrats! Nice rig!

pandpcamper, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new trailer !

I would guess the tongue weight on that 'ready to camp' will be closer to 950 lbs. Purchase a hitch accordingly.

Some accessory suggestions in the short term... sewer hose, sewer hose support, some type of leveling blocks (or chocks), leveling blocks or similar for under the stabilizing jacks, and wheel chocks.

Post us some pics when you pick it up. [:D]

Toedtoes and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

^^x2

Also, a few more leveling blocks. If it didn't come with a weight distributing hitch, I highly recommend one. Way more comfortable.

Toedtoes likes this.
  6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Im jealous...how i long for the day my pop up is in the rear view mirror.
    Congrats on the new rig.

Ductape, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

What's the ladder for? (Seriously)
    Never thought of the keys. I've never locked the Popup. (Why, when you can unvelcro the door faster than put the key in the lock)
    Do you really still need the Fridge fan? I have one from my Popup, but I was hoping the bigger fridge worked better.
    Thanks for the surge protector. I would have forgotten about that. (I never use one with the Popup, since I was looking for an excuse to replace the powercenter)
    Now your just trying to make me spend money... :)

Speaking of spending money, price checking surge protectors, I ran across this thing:
    https://rvwhisper.com/

Think of it as a home automation hub, designed for a camper. (It ties into one of the surge protectors that showed up on my google search)

8. firepit

A turd toter and maybe a couple water containers to top off water tank.
    My brother has discovered the more water u have the faster u use it.
    He gave up on telling the wife and kids to take shorter showeres..lol

kcsa75, jmkay1 and Ductape like this.
  9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Rear camera really is awesome... especially when you are “solo” like I am! Congratulations!!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok , i will say this , i hate you! That TT is nice and i should have it instead. [:D]
    Ok , on to the new. Yes a gray water flush hose. And , a wye for the water conection, so you can connect both. Really cool idea( yes thats because i have it) are the expandable hoses with shut offs at the tip. Now you can hook up the hose, turn it on , and walk it to the washing port, or use it for a rinse without having to walk back and forth. Good to have some extra hose also.
    Next up, the stinky slinky, get the one as stated with a clear elbow. Get the bigger hose or the 2 peice one. ( you may need more depending on where you go).
    Gloves and disinfectent ( if you dont allready have this from the corona virus) to connect and disinfect the ends. I ware disposable gloves and spray the ends with disinfectant when im done.
    Levelers, the weges are good for tandem or single axel leveling, get them. The chepo campco ones are good.
    A bigger outside mat. So needed.
    Awning lights, if you dont have a killer set of these you are nothing!
    Spare keys ( make another set!)
    More stuff, you can carry more and your way of orginizing will be diffent.
    I use milk crates in the wardrobes for clothing.
    Some kind of sticky pads so stuff dosent move around ( think rug things for the shelves).
    A tolet brush, and chemicals. Needed!
    A sink strainer.
    Command hooks, baskets to hang on them.
    A real broom.
    I got the sure protecters with usb ports.
    New bedding.
    Velcro, keeps the tv remote in place.
    Tv. Dvd player.
    How much do i have to spend? [}:)]

Ductape and neighbormike like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Oh , get extra sewer hose washers just incase.
    And i forgot, i like the equalizer wdh. Expensive, but supost to be the best.

12. Ductape

Ladder is for making sure no branches or anything (acorns) have fallen on the top of the slide... it may damage your slide seals if you close the slide and something is up there. Consider a slide awning if the trailer doesn't have one already.

I don't have fridge fans and my fridge will freeze drinks if you let it. You should try yours before adding fans. It's not like we are in Texas.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  13. Sjm9911

Fridge will work great. No mods needed. I had mine on for 4 months now with covid for overflow stuff and have done teips inbetween. If you need a ladder check out my fding one and the storage on the bumper. Not cheap, but for like 300$ bucks done and it dosen't take up space.

neighbormike likes this.
  14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

No fridge fan needs in my TT fridge, either.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

Congrats, I am a big fan of Grand Design and that will be my next one. I scour market place for items for my TT. I just picked up a 50 foot extension cord for $35 bucks and a 30 gallon Turd tote that is like new for 20 bucks. The guy had it listed for 50 and I would gladly pay that but when I got there we struck up a conversation about camping and after twenty minutes of talking he said just give me 20. I would just see what you need after a trip or two and go from there. I think you did good for what you got and what you paid. I really like the floor plan.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. Ductape

What's funny is, everything that has been mentioned is something you will end up 'needing'. I have most of this stuff and then some. You will also need dual golf cart batteries, a couple hundred watts of solar, an inverter generator, and on and on. [:D]

I keep complaining to my wife about us having to haul a crockpot with us, but I have yet to remove it from the camper. :cool:

pandpcamper, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Sjm9911

If you own it , its no longer a need[:D]

Steveo4090 and Ductape like this.
  18. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I'm putting my immediate (before the first trip needs)
    • WD Hitch
    • Sewer hose
    • Clean up hose (non drinking water hose)
    • Spare keys
    • Leveling solution (I have a BAL now, won't work on a dual axle, might do Andersons)
    • Wheel Chocks
    • Surge Protector
    Short list (Scour for deals)
    • Turd Toter (like the name)
    • Good Potable water carrier
    • X-Chocks (Just found out they aren't supposed to replace regular wheel chocks)
    Then we have my wife's Needs. (She doesn't have wants :) )

Ductape, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  19. Sjm9911

The cameos wedges wored fine for me, only used them like 4 times now, but they work and are easy. And stronger then i thought. Cheaper then the anderson.

20. firepit

Dont forget some way of watching husker football games and a husker camp flag for game day!!!