Just put a down payment on a Grand Design Imagine 2800BH

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by mpking, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Booooo! Lol. Whats fooball?

kcsa75 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

AMC likes this.
  3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Progressive Industries hardwired EMS.

I've found that web based gadgets are useless unless you camp close to cities or somewhere that has 100% strong cell coverage all the time. Door monitoring? For something that has a 1-1/2" thick wall made of 1/8" ply and foam. I can get in any RV in 10 seconds with a medium size screwdriver.

IMO simpler is better.

Congrats....good floorplan/layout. Youll be glad the fridge is not in the slide.

RockyRoo and kcsa75 like this.
  4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I'll take a look. I'm not sure I'm up to doing a hardwired unit at this point. 100F temps at 90% humidity is making me think the inline model might be for me. :)

Yea. But sometimes we do things because we find them fun, not because they make sense. Kinda Like Sneezer's tagline on his signature, "I pay a lot a money to sit in the woods by myself"

Actually you brought up a great point though, so I looked it up.
    https://rvwhisper.com/faq/
    Our cloud-hosted services are optional and always use secure, encrypted connections between your RV Whisper® computer and our cloud infrastructure. The cloud services are only used to enable remote communication to or from the RV Whisper® computer using your local WiFi. None of the sensor data are stored in the cloud.
    The RV Whisper® Monitor Station has its own “local WiFi” network enabling nearby users to access their RV Whisper® sensor data when they are unable to connect to the cloud interface.

Why? I was actually looking at that floorplan as well.

5. Old_Geezer

Absorbtion fridges rarely work well in a slide because of the venting. A roof vent for the top is much better than a sidewall vent as used when its in a slide. These manufacturers are all morons and seldom build the cavity behind the fridge per the fridge manufacturers guidelines, so you start out at a deficit to begin with.

I installed my hardwired EMS in the Roo using rated male and female plugs. When I sell it just pull the plugs, plug the feed and supply together, and move it to the new one.

6. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

A fridge in a slide is vented through the wall of the slide instead of through the roof, which makes them much less efficient. If it were in a slide it would be more likely you would need to rig up fans to help vent it.

Edit: OG beat me to it

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Aaah, that makes sense!

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Does your rig have overhead cabinets, or a pantry cabinet over the fridge? Do you have someone in the rig that is a tad bit shorter than you?

upload_2020-7-21_7-23-39.png

Folds flat and stores between the otherwise useless 2" space between my vanity and shower stall.

As far as the rear view camera... I went many, many years without one, but I will go no more years further! I thought it would be helpful backing in to spots, but in all honesty, it is most helpful just driving as a rear view mirror.

20200626_100541.jpg
    In all honesty, I don't have a trailer TPMS yet because I still have rubber valve stems on my trailer tires. This off-season I may have the tires redone to add full-metal stems and add the TPMS.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

@generok I have one of those stools in my house for my daughter. Good point.

I just added the backup camera to my amazon wish list. :) You like that brand? (DoHonest)

10. Sjm9911

Im with you on the back up camera, never used it to back up, but do use it switching lanes.

11. Old_Geezer

Internet forum over concern IMO.

I Have used the TST non flow through sensors on three different trailers for countless miles over probably 8-9 years with the OEM stems, on the OEM wheels, and with the OEM whatever name Lionshead Distributing tires and never had so much as a slow leak. Always said if I ever bought new tires I would install metal, never had the opportunity. Probably a good idea but required maybe not so much.

12. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

No kidding...I may have to take some old classics on DVD and watch them.
    At least back then we were good!!

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. generok

My DW selected it. It works well. It does freeze every so often, but all I have to do is turn on and off and it comes to life. Don't know why. Install of the camera is easy... just tap into a tail light, or marker light. You need to run with headlights on to activate camera, but that's not a bad thing in general (unless your DMV laws prohibit it, for some reason). Alaska requires headlight use on many of it's highways, so it was a non-issue for me.

Enjoy your rig.

As for the fridge fan, well, YMMV. I don't need it, but I do find on longer trips when fridge is full it does keep things a little more even in there.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

The trailer is "pre-wired" for a backup camera. So it has a platform with a positive and negative wire up there, so I don't have to tap anything.

15. generok

@Old_Geezer Agreed. I was ready to pop on an off-brand set until I was looking on some forums, but also a friend of mine who full-times had it happen to him. Also, I run load class E tires at 80psi. It's recommended to go to full-metal valve stems at that pressure too. So, the extra weight, higher pressure and remote nature of my adventures, I just thought too many holes in the swiss cheese were beginning to align, so I held off.

16. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

I’ve spent way to much time on some GD groups as that was one of the brands I was considering when I was looking. There is an abundance of complaints on “flat springs” and bent axles on the 2016-2019 2800bs seems to be just that model. I’m not trying to steer you away from it as other then that it seems to be a great unit. Just giving you a heads up so you can research a little and know what to look for when you do your final inspection before taking delivery. I think there where replacement “upgrades” that GD was sending customers that where having problems. I never dig to deep into it as I went with a different brand

17. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Thank you. This is very good information to know.

And curse you... Now I have something to worry about until I can get to final inspection.

18. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations! It looks like you have plenty of advice on other items so let's talk about WDH.

When you start asking around everyone will tell you what the have is best. Equalizer is the most popular, and for good reason. It's pricey though -- around $600 and up.

We made a similar move three years ago. We bought a Curt Tru Track. It's the same design as the Equalizer, but We bought on sale at eTrailer for just less than $400.

You can look around and make your own decision, but I would stay away from the Anderson on a trailer that big, and whatever you do don't let price be your motivating factor. The safety of you, your passengers and your equipment is most important.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I watched the Super Bowl again a couple weeks ago.

firepit likes this.
  20. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but you will want a good mattress... that was my first swap out when I bought my trailer.

Ductape and firepit like this.