Just say NO!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by vike-king, Jul 26, 2015.

1. vike-king

vike-king My worst camping trip ever, was terriffic!

Recently we went camping and had some friends tag along with their 6 kids. They didn't have tents, so we allowed them to use our family tent and 4 person tent. Biggest mistake! #1- It rained and was muddy. #2- They have no respect for other's equipment. #3- They did nothing to help cook or clean. #4- The 4 person tent (which the 2 adults used) may be ruined! The small tent looked like a can of cola blew up inside and the outside got it too. Then their friends dog desided to run thru the tents in the middle of the nite getting mud everywhere! Haven't had a chance to set up the family tent yet, hopefully it isn't damaged too. So remember to just say NO if you like your equipment.

2. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Know the feeling. Lent our tent to my step son to take his kids camping. It rained so the tent came back just stuffed in its storage bag wet and dirty. I guess I should be happy it even came back.

3. clydee

clydee Member

-1972 Viking S20 7K)
    "My worst camping trip ever, was Terrific!" Minus Lake Loramie!

so this trip at lake Laramie ??

4. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We are setting up our 4 person tent at our campsite next month for a friend of ours to use for two nights. He is a seemingly responsible 20-something and I am not too worried about him using our tent... okay, well maybe a little bit after reading your post, LOL!

Our friend, is a television journalist, a jeep guy, a bird watcher. He was one of the Fat Guys in the 2nd season premier of the Weather Channel TV show Fat Guys in the Woods. Hopefully, I will not be disappointed :)

5. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

Anything I loan out uses the same rule as money. Don't do it unless you don't really need it back. Sometimes it is an honest accident. Sometimes it is just a lack of respect.

6. StageLover

StageLover Member

I see this as a matter of know your friends. If you do, you should know what to expect and be able to make an informed decision as to whether to lend it to them or tell them to get their own.

NYGfan, if it rains, I would expect it to come back wet and muddy and be prepared to have the step son hose it down and hang it to dry. I would have to do that if I had used it in the rain.

7. vike-king

Yep! You got it!

8. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Loaned our 6 man Coleman Sundome to DSIL one time we finely went to and got it from her house after 2 mo asking her to bring it back. She had left dog food in it and put it outside. Yes the mice had a feast. She had borrowed ice chest, stove and lantern all but stove ruined. DO NOT LOAN OUT CAMPING GEAR.

9. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

oh I figured it was coming back wet and dirty, if it was me I would have told the person I borrowed it from I was keeping it for another couple of days to clean it and dry it. Oh yeah he did keep it for 2 weeks after and didn't bother to clean it. I expected that also. I know my wife's kids. It's why I kept the tent so they wouldn't ask for the trailer, and that is a " oh Hell No"

10. StageLover

StageLover Member

You and me both. Cleaning it is just the right thing to do. My credo is to always return something in the same or better shape.

Ahh, I didn't realize he had it for 2 weeks after and didn't bother cleaning and drying it. That is just rude.

Yup, if he can't take care of the tent, he should never have access to the trailer. Good call.

11. vike-king

we also ended up paying for their site, because they were going to "pay us back when get there". Live and learn. Just glad we didn't let them stay in our pup.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I lend my gear out to a select few. I always ask myself a question before camping, canoeing, fishing or hunting "can I stand this person for the duration, will he help doing whatever is necessary to make the trip enjoyable doe he have his own gear and is he a responsible person" If the answer is no oe even I don't know then I either cancel, or go solo. This extends to their families and friends too.

13. Popup1206

Popup1206 If there is a will there is a way

I dont mind is something gets messed up on accident but to just be completely ungrateful when someone lends you something really eirks me

14. StPeteClipper

StPeteClipper Member

Yet another reason in a loooong list why I'm glad I never had kids.

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would only loan out my cheap Walmart two person dome tent. If it broke oh well Im only out about 30 bucks. Once I loaned it to my brother who wanted to catch the sunrise just right at the beach so needed the tent to crash for a few hours. When I opened the tent up at home it had sand and water everywhere. I made the comment to my brother that I could have filled a sandbox with all the sand that came out. He proceeded to tell me that while they were out at dawn trying to catch that perfect picture the wind picked up the tent, sleeping bags, etc causing it to roll end over end down the beach where he finally caught up with it. That story alone was worth the headache of all the sand. I was laughing my head off just picturing the tent summersaulting. He did end up getting a great sunrise picture as thankfully the camera was with him before the tent had other ideas. I still have that tent and still see sand come out. Sometimes things are just out of the persons hands.

16. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

Many years ago, I worked for a rather wealthy man in Milwaukee. His wife dropped him off at work every morning and picked him up each evening. One day something happened that he had to leave. I don't remember the details, but I offered him the use of my old 85 dollar 58 chevy. He said he would be gone for an hour, but it turned in to most of the day.
    Just the same, it was back before my day was over. When I went out to the car, it was evident that he had gotten it washed. It also had a full tank of gas, and a new mirror on the passenger door.

He said "If you ever want to be able to borrow something a second time, return it in better shape than you take it." "You may need to borrow it again someday."
    I have always remembered that advice and taken it to heart.

17. gruss

gruss Active Member

Thank you turkey for putting things in perspective for me. I brought our tent since sister was coming last minute and pop up was full....I complained about her lack of planning BUT tent was immaculate and she took it down and packed away on leaving day. I'll stop complaining now.

sent from a phone.

18. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

My rule has been: If you decide to loan anything to anybody you bear most of the responsibility for the outcome. Don't complain.

19. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Normally we don't loan out camping gear, but our intern pastor and his wife hadn't brought their camping gear across the country for the 1 year internship.....and how can you be in central Oregon and not go camping? So we loaned a small dome tent, sleeping bags, coleman stove, cooking gear, and cooler. They happened to be heading to the campground where my parents were volunteer camphosts, so I got on the ham radio and gave my folks a heads-up.

The camping gear came back clean. They bought us a new tablecloth, because the old one had been nibbled on by campground critters. They also raved about the friendly camphosts who helped them set up the tent [:D].

20. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

That sucks, man. And I know that feeling.

my rule is, don't loan anything you aren't willing to not get back.