Just sold my popup, bought a TT

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by eagle, Jan 23, 2020.

1. eagle

eagle Member

Three years ago, I bought my first popup, a 1992 Coleman Arcadia. I bought it for super cheap, to find out if we'd like popup camping. We loved it, so a month later I bought a 2006 Fleetwood Graphite. Sold the Fleetwood just last week, in favor of a tiny bunkhouse -- a Keystone Summerland Mini 1800BH. With the popup, we were still close to tent camping -- we cooked and ate outside, and we only changed clothes and slept inside. We want to continue to do this with the TT, but we'll have to see how it goes.

I've also upgraded our tow vehicle -- we pulled the popup with a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX. We're pulling the 1800BH with a 2009 Chevy Suburban Z71. The Suburban pulled our popup like it was nothing (it was about 85% of the capacity of the van, and about 25% of the capacity of the Suburban). The Suburban pulls the 1800BH pretty well too -- it's about 50% of the tow capacity, and about 80% of the hitch weight capacity.

We specifically got a small bunkhouse because we have 3 children, and because we want to keep that small camper feel. We have no desire for a 30+ foot trailer.

We'll see how it goes. So far I'm liking the easier setup. Hopefully we can keep that outdoor camping mentality.

J Starsky and neighbormike like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome to the dark side, you will love the conveniences, good luck with the and the option of cooking inside or out (depending on weather and your wishes)
    Good Luck and keep on camping

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Congrats, we need pictures! Your are going to love it, especially not drying out the canvas, poping it up to load the gear, and there is less bug intrusion!

neighbormike and eagle like this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

CONGRATS

5. eagle

eagle Member

Thanks, we're super excited. I'm just getting too old for the constant up/down of the roof.... looking forward to much easier setup.

I don't have many pictures yet, but here's what I have so far. We wanted to stay with something small, and this is about the same size as our pop was when expanded. It's wider, so there's a little more room between the kitchenette and dinette, but overall it's about the same size as the Fleetwood.

J Starsky, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Sjm9911

I cant see the pictures. Try pisting them in the thread with the upload a file button!

7. eagle

eagle Member

I changed the permissions on the album; can you see them now?

8. Sjm9911

Yup!

9. Sjm9911

Nice!!

10. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Jealous. I'd really like a hybrid. Part of my struggle is single axle or tandem. My tandem axle trailer tows SO much better than the coleman even though it's twice the weight. But if we go hybrid, it's gotta stay small. I still want to be able to get it in tight spots like the pup.

11. eagle

eagle Member

Yeah, staying small was a requirement for us. We started all of this last July, when we met a family at a campground in Kentucky -- they had a hybrid and showed it to us. Then my sister-in-law had a hybrid for sale, and we were interested in that, but we only had the van at the time, and she sold it before we got the Suburban. We have been looking for a new trailer since August, even though we only traded the van 3 months ago. Trading the van on the Suburban really opened up the possibilities for us, and we finally found what we wanted in this Keystone. Truth be told I really wanted a Micro Minnie Winnie 2100BH, but I couldn't afford that. Another favorite was the Apex Nano 193BHS, but again, price was an issue. Found this Keystone used and in great shape, and it's so similar to those others that we decided to jump at it.

12. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Very nice! Congrats on your new camping mobile.

eagle likes this.
  13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Congratulations. We bought our TT in the fall of 2017 and have really enjoyed it. The only thing I really miss is sleeping in the Pup. I really enjoyed falling asleep to the sounds of the night and waking up to the birds singing in the morning. We sleep with the windows open in the TT but just not the same.

eagle and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

No reason to change the way you camp, you just changed what you sleep in! I did the same when I bought my tt... I camp outside. I just now have the ability to do so more easily [:)C]

J Starsky, eagle and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. eagle

eagle Member

Exactly -- the popup made camping much easier than car camping, and we hope that this small bunkhouse will make camping even easier than the popup did. I'm getting older, and the setup of the popup was wearing on me. The setup of the TT is: tongue down, decouple, then zip zip zip zip on the four corner stabilizers, then plug in.

We're looking forward to going camping next weekend.

16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Don’t forget to push the awning button! Lol

eagle likes this.
  17. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I love my Keystone 25 footer and you'll love yours, too! Congrats on your purchase

eagle likes this.