Just starting - what GPS/geocaching system is cheap, but worth it??

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by 5happycampers, Apr 12, 2010.

1. 5happycampers

5happycampers New Member

I literally started looking into the whole geocaching thing this weekend and it intrigues me. I really want to get into it, but the GPS my husband has does not allow you to put in coordinates and my blackberry doesn't seem to have it either. What is a GPS that I would use solely for geocaching that isn't too expensive, but worth it. Thanks for your input

2. bflentje

bflentje Member

Define expensive? The best all around handheld GPS out there is the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. At $280 from Amazon, I don't consider that too expensitve on the whole scheme of things. Especially since when I bought mine when the model first came out, I paid over $500 for it.

3. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Well I am looking for GPS device to get into the GeoCaching thing ourselves (My DW and I) but since this will just be a camping type hiking fun. Looking for unit under or around $100...personally if anyone has a good used unit for sale I definately be interested in talking.

4. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

We bought the Garmin 60CSx. It is great. We just got into geocaching also and wanted a unit that was easy to use. You can download the GPS coordinates directly from the website. I would definitely look for this feature if you plan on doing lots of geocaching.

This unit was also recommended by other portal members.

5. micbur

Nice but way more than I want to spend...will probably use it a couple of hours a trip then that will be it...just cannot see spending $300 for something I will use approx 4-6 hours a month. [2C]

6. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I Googled "geocaching clubs".
    Contact or join a club. I'll bet some members have upgraded and are selling some units... just a thought [;)]

7. micbur

Thanks for the suggestion...will check it out

8. GWolfe

GWolfe New Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200 I think, the cheapest one. I have used it for geocaching for a couple of years now with few problems, while it's not ideal it does the job. I paid around $150 two years ago but surely they have come down since.

On a side note, while we were camping at Wilson Lake we met Teamsnook who I think are #2 with over 25,000 caches logged. We thought that was pretty cool meeting them. They were camping in an Aliner too.

9. fire4effect97

fire4effect97 Russ & Shawna, DD1, DD2, DD3

I am looking into this as well I have found a Geomate Jr. Geocaching GPS for $69,95 online don't know how good it is though. Anyone use one?

10. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We started doing this last year. We have a Garman Nuvi aand try to bring info with us to each campout. Kids have
    a blast doing this and I have fun with them when they find them. They get so excited. We make sure we do this every trip.

11. RickH

RickH New Member

12. Wksend

Wksend New Member

To me the best entry level GPS would be the Etrex Legend. The kit comes with cable for downloading and runs about 125.00.

13. micbur

OK....Just did my first run of GeoCaching yesterday...the DW had to work and had the day to myself. Just purchased one of the DROID phones and downloaded app for GeoCaching. The phone works great for locating the caches...found 3 yesterday...put me within feet of their locations. Have to download and install .LOC or .GPX file on the phone but this is easy and can view actual web page for information and story behind the cache. There was a cache I could not find yesterday...was located at an old cemetery. The cemetery had these beautiful marble statues. Never knew this was there until I tried to find the cache. So far very pleased with the DROID phone and app.

14. jlygnogre

jlygnogre Member

Okay, I realize this isn't as good as "what to get", but "what NOT to get" may come in handy too. We tried a Magellan Triton 400 that came with National Geographic maps. The GPS itself worked great, but after a week of trying we still hadn't gotten a single one of those maps loaded. Tech support would get back to us EVENTUALLY, but the best they could do was move us along to the next glitch, where thinks locked up again. I wound up returning it to the store.

I think I'll try a Garmin next.

Enjoy the geocaching. We've had a lot of fun family times with it.

15. Stiiinatent

Stiiinatent seasond camper now with 2 cubs

You state you have a blackberry what model do you have because most BB's have GPS. I use Blackstar for blackberry it works great and it is free.

16. NYcamper

NYcamper It is what it is.

We have the Garmin 60CSx also. DH also uses it for his snowmobiling maps. Easier than carrying a paper/laminated map!

17. muffyluvscamping

muffyluvscamping New Member

I just bought a garmin etrex venture on Amazon for under $100 bucks. We have used for about a month now and my kids love it! Today we are placing our first cache at my parent's cabin in Yosemite.

18. kwil1027

kwil1027 Member

We, too, have just recently gotten into geocaching and the kids absolutley love it! :) I use the goecaching app on my iphone. Most if the time it works pretty well, although I am still trying to get the hang of it-I don't really like how slow the compass is on it-have to stop moving several times in order for it to catch up. But if the gps always took you to the exact point of the cache, then you would not have the fun of "finding" it! It makes it that musch sweeter when you have to do a little searching and then spot your cache! Enjoy the hunt! [SUN]