Just upgraded to our 1st Hybrid!

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by united1889, May 9, 2020.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Mine's a Starcraft 239TBS, so it's going to differ from the Roos. Jayco is probably closer. Under the side bunk there are 4 cabinet doors. Storage is about 6 ft wide, 18-24" high and a foot deep. Under the front bunk is single cabinet door for access to storage that's the full width of the camper. Above that, but still under the bunk, is a storage cubby with 2 oval openings for access. That's about 8" high and a bout 14-16" deep. I can fit an endless breeze fan laying flat in there with a little room to spare.

2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

The Rockwood looks somewhat similar.
    upload_2020-7-13_10-18-44.png

I'm just trying to get a feel for pro's and con's on each types storage. I don't know what's going to come up on the used market. (Nothing used with 3 bunks is within 400 miles of me at the moment I type this). Wife wants new, and right now. I'm thinking end of season when all the CovidCampers decide camping is not for them.

arge, 1380ken and sandreas like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

The Roos bunks are lower than the starcrafts. So In the starcraft, those are all doors and they're taller. But mine has no storage door under the rear bunk. But very similar layouts

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Starcraft stopped making the 239TBS. So you won't find them new anywhere.

The Jayco X23E is what I'd get if I was going to buy a new one. FWIW

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  5. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Congrats, we just did the same thing. Been in it over two weeks worth of camping so far and I love it so far compared to our old pup.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  6. Steveo4090

I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. It's a tight fit but I made PEX pipe bar that holds the curtain off me and that helps a lot. I can actually was my feet without wrapping up in a cold wet shower curtain.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  7. sandreas

sandreas Member

Congrats on your new rig!
    You know, the more I look at all the different layouts of the hybrids, the more I miss my
    Jayco 26L. It wasn’t very popular, having only been manufactured in 2006-2008, but the PERFECT layout for us. Four bunks in the back for the kids, canvas pull down in the front for us, 1/2 slide for the kitchen and jack-knife sofa on the side opposite the door, and the dinette on, (what I consider,) the “correct” side of the camper. When I’m eating in my camper, I want to be overlooking my own campsite, not my neighbors. The storage was amazing in that camper. If it hadn’t died on our way back from a trip to TN in 2918, we’d still be using and loving it. But...I’m not a hard side girl. I want my canvas, so I’ll just have to keep looking for the next perfect one.

8. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Many hybrid manufacturers had bunkhouse hybrids, at one time. but when FR came out with the first 3 bunk end hybrid, the 233, people could get the same amount of sleeping space in a much shorter and lighter package. Hybrid bunkhouse trailers disappeared real quick.

9. sandreas

sandreas Member

Yeah, I understand it and it makes sense, but I still feel like the particular layout we had provided a more wide open space in the middle of the camper. And I still contend that having the dinette on your own campsite side is the better layout. I like my blinds open, but without my neighbors seeing whether I’ve decided on Cheerios or Cocoa Krispies that morning. [:D]

10. Steveo4090

I liked the idea of a bh hybrid and probably would have bought 1 if I could have found 1 in decent shape. We did look at one but it was a disaster. My wife got about 2 steps inside until she turned around and left lol

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    sandreas likes this.
  11. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room in my Roo. Rockwoods have hard doors for the showers. I really like not having to deal with a curtain. I fit fine in the bunks. I use the whole length, but I do fit. My neighbor has the 183 model and takes 5 of her 6 kids (middle and HS) camping. They have enough storage for weekends. Longer trips she can comfortably handle 3 adults.

For us we narrowed down to Jayco and Rockwood. In the end we like the fit and finish better on the Rockwoods and also some of the features. We spent two year looking and saving.