Just wandering how many fellow Jeep owners are on here?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by bucky4x4cj, Mar 6, 2011.

1. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited that just rolled over to 233,000 miles.

2. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

1971 CJ5. All stock. Been in family 30+ years.

3. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Have a 89 yj for 10 yrs now but its time to part ways and let someone else enjoy it.

4. StageLover

StageLover Member

I had a 99 Cherokee. Had it from new and it served me well until the A/C died (wouldn't hold a charge) and it began to develop death wobble. I pondered the cost of having the A/C fixed (requires removal of the entire dash), full set of new tires in the hope that they were causing the wobble, plus other costs to fix other miscellaneous issues and decided that it would take more than its residual value. So I traded it in on a loaded 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk. I love it! Handles nicely both on and off road and tows our pup with no problems.

5. Shadetreetim

Shadetreetim New Member

I just bought my first Jeep, a '10 Wrangler Sport 3.8L 6SP Manual. Glad to hear of others using their Wrangler as a TV, and the mileage they're getting. Testing it out towing the Coleman, it does a fine job as a TV. That 3.8L has good torque.
    [​IMG]

Now I just hope these two don't mind the back seat for some 5-6 hour trips. I may pull the back seat and build a flat platform for them with storage under it.
    [​IMG]

6. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Should have kept the 1999. Way better built.

7. StageLover

StageLover Member

Yes, it was better built in that the frame was a truck frame rather than the crossover unibody. However, the lack of A/C made trips to the interior or Alberta less than comfortable and the cost of fixing the A/C, since the full dash had to be removed, was prohibitive, the increasing "death wobble" at highway speeds made towing stressful and the various other issues that were popping up meant that I was looking at significant repair costs. Now, none of those issues exist, the towing package is from the factory and it gave me the opportunity to upgrade to a proportional brake controller without getting under the dash cutting wire.

As a bonus, we now have a vehicle with active collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control, heated seats which are a blessing in the winter but also nice in the summer when my back is aching, a working climate control system, backup camera making hookup a breeze as well as parking, proximity detection for parking, remote start so the interior temperature when we get in is neither too hot in the summer nor too cold in the winter, Sirius/XM giving us more entertainment options on the road, as well as SD card reader and USB, 120 V outlet to power our Mobicool, 60/40 split back seat so we can take the grandson on trips and still have cargo space without trying to pile stuff on the seat, more HP than the 99 with same or better gas mileage, a smoother ride, even offroad but still with some of that "Jeep feel", power seats, leather interior, Bluetooth handsfree, GPS maps, routing and POIs, and more that I can't think of right now.

While I miss the 99 and agree it has stronger construction, I love what I have now and that I can drive 8 hours and actually enjoy it.

8. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Yeah, A/C evap is a PITA to replace. "Death wobble" isn't too hard though. Way less expensive than a new car payment for several years.