Just watching my neighbor set up...

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Steveo4090, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

So I'm sitting at my camper watching my neighbors across the road set up their older model hybrid. They have the screw down latches on the bunks. Like a pup they need 2 poles for each bed and the canvas isn't attached to the bunk permanently and needs to be bungy corded down. It has made me very thankful for my hybrid. I can set up my 3 bunks (minus the pugs) in less time than it took them to get their 1st bunk finished. The whole reason for us to get rid of the pup and buy a new hybrid was to make set up considerably easier and what I just watched was just the same (minus the roof winch cranking).

akriot likes this.
  2. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

oh yeah - it takes us no time at all to set up our hybrid Shamrock - its just all the other stuff i now bring that takes my time now! LOL

3. Steveo4090

I know what you mean there!

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

This may speed up your setup even more.
    For Hybrids: https://www.sunfastproducts.com/product-page/pug-ears-starter-kit

I have the PUG PAWS and they really are a time saver for both setup & take-down. I'm also starting to get a bit of arthritis on my fingers and messing with the clips on the Super-High-Wind PUGs was getting to be a pain, literally.
    For PopUps: https://www.sunfastproducts.com/product-page/pug-paws

5. Steveo4090

I made my own pugs for our pop up and I kept them to use for the hybrid and just made 1 more for the 3rd bunk. Attaching was A LOT easier on the pop up so thanks for the info on those. I will for sure take a good look and see if they'll work. They look like a great time saver and easier than my ladder I tote along.

6. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

The ease and quickness of setting up our hybrid is what helped us go to one. The last trip we were on I even closed up during the day to allow the A/C to keep the unit cooler. It was in the mid 90's and with it closed, the A/C didn't over work itself. 10 minutes down and another 10 to put it back up.

7. Steveo4090

With 3 kids and their stuff in the bunks it would be a long process trying to close ours up. It's been almost 90 with a heat index of 105-110 the last couple days here at the beach. With pugs and reflectix on each bunk end the camper had been at 75 no problem as long as my family hasn't been constantly going in and out.

8. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I never knew those were a thing! Any idea if they would work with a popup? Would simplify setup since velcroing or clamping to the top is pretty much the only hassle with PUGs

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Eric Webber likes this.
  10. Steveo4090

I ordered a set of 3 pug ears the other day. After doing so I read through their online directions. It states that I need to scuff the outside of the fiberglass with their scuff pad before I stick the pug ear on. It's to give the adhesive more to grip to. The issue I have is that the camper is brand new, so altering the fiberglass finish makes me cringe a little.
    Any ideas or thoughts about that?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  11. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

I can understand the process you mentioned. My DD had a hybrid with twins and the had the same thing going on. My DW sleeps in the dinette area and it's just my bunk I have to close up.

12. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

I'm a little late to this conversation but I have a Roo 19 and I use the VHB tape to hold the "hard" side of the velcro to the TT. I install my PUGs once and leave them on. I just have to connect the shock cord under the bunk. I mounted the velcro to the frame at the top of the opening.

13. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Half of the fun for me is setting everything up. I've never had to do this in the rain so my opinion may be a little different in a downpour... Just gotta plan ahead and watch the weather when youre ready to leave.