Kachess Lake

Discussion in 'Washington' started by mcstord, Jul 3, 2013.

1. mcstord

mcstord New Member

I was pleasantly surprised by this camp ground. Our friends invited us camping a few weeks ago with no reservation at any camp ground. They came up with a group camp spot at Kachess Lake just off of I-90. The online description warned us of vault toilet and no running water. So expected something slightly more convenient then a boon dock scenario. So much to my surprise the toilet had running water with flush toilets. Although they could have been cleaner they still where a vast improvement then a hole in the ground and you could wash you hands. the swimming area was about a ten min. walk from our camp site but the adjoining day use area made for a remote base. the swim area was nice and easy water access plus the boat ramp seem easy enough for people to use although I don't have a boat. All in all this was better then I thought it would be and I would go back if the opportunity arises again.

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Thanks. Looks like one to check out further.

3. debbieorosco

debbieorosco New Member

Thanks for posting this. We are planning a weekend with 2 other families in August. Did you camp over the weekend?How did the availability look for the non-reservable sites? Would you recommend camping with preschool aged kids there? Thanks for any help!

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The 2015 Washington Summer Outing (Portal Rally) was held at this CG in June. Here is my review:

Kaches Campground, Central Cascades, Washington State.

Kachess Lake Campground is a 92-acre Wenatchee National Forest CG (operated by a concessionaire) located 5.5-miles north of I-90 Exit 62 in the central Cascades of Washington State. It's on the northwest shore of Kachess Lake with Little Kachess Lake to the immediate north. Set in dense evergreens and surrounded by beautiful high mountain peaks, the CG has 141 campsites with fire rings and picnic tables and one group campsite (for 50 people, by reservation only). It is an excellent location for family camping. I stayed there for four nights in June 2105.

Fees are $21 per night for single sites and $42 per night for double sites. Extra vehicles cost an additional $8 per night. There is also a group site available for $115 per night. Senior Access Pass holders pay half of the published rates. Phone number is 1-877-444-6777 (free). Hosts in each loop sell small bundles of firewood for $7. No ice is available in the CG.

Some loops have vault toilets. Ours (Mineral Creek) had one flush toilet building for the entire loop. It was near the entrance so it was a long walk for those camped at or near the other end of the loop. Further, there was only one toilet and no urinals in the Mens toilet. The trash collection dumpsters were also positioned at the entrance to the loop. On the positive side, there were many water spigots scattered around the loop. No one had to walk or carry water very far. There are no hookups in the CG; neither is there a dump station.

The CG entry and loop roads were paved with asphalt but were old and in rough condition in many places. There were many cracks, potholes and uneven spots. The site pads are all "gravel;" actually, packed dirt with some bits of gravel scattered around. Mine was almost perfectly level though. Many of the sites are quite large and spread far apart. Many have very good privacy. This is almost unheard of in CGs with hookups.

There are six loops. Mineral Creek contains sites 088-112. This loop is mostly third-growth. Some sites are sunny, some mostly shady and many partial. I was in 096 which had a mixture of sun and shade. It was arranged with the fire ring and table in a meadow behind the end of the site pad where the trailer was backed in. There was plenty of space to set up shade shelters or extra tens. No one could see into the site from that area because it was surrounded by trees and underbrush so privacy was great.

Lodge Creek is much like Mineral Creek.

Beargrass Flat contains sites 024-063. I liked this loop best because it has a lot of pull-throughs and is very shady, with tall, older trees (probably second growth). It was cooler in the hot weather than the other loops. Privacy is pretty good. There are some double pull-troughs too, if you are camping with a friend, another family, etc.

Thetus Creek has a trail to the beach at the far end of the loop but there is no parking available for it. It was probably intended for loop campers to walk from their sites.

Box Canyon has some sites (167-178) almost right on the water and near the Hand Boat Launch (for canoes, kayaks, etc.), but some of these are too small to accommodate a trailer. Privacy is not good because there is little or no underbrush. Nevertheless, these sites would be my first targets. If they were not available I'd go to Beargrass Flat

Gale Creek also has some sites (18, 20 and 22) on water (the creek). This loop is near the main boat launch and picnic/day area.

Speaking of boat launches, there are two of them and a picnic area. One boat launch (South) is for larger boats on trailers that have to be backed into the water on a paved ramp. There is an adjacent TV/boat trailer parking lot for them. The second boat launch (North) is at the other end of the CG and is for hand-launched boats like canoes, kayaks, etc. It is gravel. On busy summer weekends, the boat launch and day use parking areas fill up fast.

Some sites are reservable and some are FCFS. Usage is very heavy on summer weekends, in part because this CG is very popular with boaters and within two hours of Seattle. Many sites are booked months in advance. FCFS would be no problem work during the week but very problematic on weekends.

Other things to do in the CG include fishing, bicycle riding and hiking on the many trails where an abundance of wildlife might be seen, e.g., deer, porcupine, migratory birds, eagles, owls, gray wolves and bears.