Kayak Carrier, Pool Noodles?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Kevin Grant, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Kevin Grant

Kevin Grant New Member

Just acquired a Jayco Qwest Baja. We have two kayaks. We want to carry them on top of the Baja. Wife wants to get some pool noodles, maybe thread a rope through them, tie them to the frame and then put kayaks on top and tie them down. My thought is they noodles won't last, they're not made from the most ideal materials.

How do you folks carry yaks on your pop up?

2. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Can you not cartop your yaks on roof racks? I've given my fiberglass sea kayak to my son along with a Yakima rack with saddles. That kind of kayak requires saddles for transport vs a plastic sit on top that can be strapped to a roof with racks, noodles or foam. What kind of Yak do you have?

3. Kevin Grant

Kevin Grant New Member

We have two Old Town Vapor 10's.

4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple of pop up campers w/ yak racks on 'em, but they didn't have ac units on top; try Google, usually you can find ideas etc, we have an Aliner a frame, so I got some Yakima 30" pads for the Tacoma factory roof rack & can carry a Tarpon 100/120 or a Ride 115, all SOTs...w/ the weight of the yaks, I carry just 1 flat, as the wife generally won't stay on the water 8+ hours...***Sliding around would be my concern, depending on how you'd strap the yaks???

5. Rik Peery

6. Rik Peery

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I bought a ladder rack from HF and installed it on my pick up, and still pull my TT. I can carry my sot yak or 12' canoe with no problem,also easy up and easy off can hold up to 200 lbs.

friartuck and William Freeman like this.
  8. William Freeman

William Freeman Active Member

Is that rack sturdy? I've looked at them before, but wasn't sure about how well made it is. I have a 6.5' bed/supercab and 2-10' yaks (soon to be 3 of them). Mine fit OK in the bed with plenty of room between the popup, but looking for other options.

9. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I have Thule racked up every vehicle I owned since 1990.
    Vw. Jeep, Chevy , Ford you name it I owned it. Carry a 16 foot canoe and one bike. Skip the cane and three kayaks on it roof. 2500 sub is current tow vehicle pak hoarder at 2451 pounds payload.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It is mounted one lower frame bolted tot he truck and the top parts drop into the lower, the man says they will carry 200 lbs, I have the 6.5 ft. bed too.The top parts can be removed when not needed. I also drilled a hole in each set of posts and put a pin thru, probably not needed but why chance it bouncing out. I can carry my canoe or yak now, before they stuck to far out when put into the bed, to carry when I tote the TT. i also lined mine with a pool noodle.

William Freeman likes this.
  11. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

1.jpg 2.jpg

Didn't want holes in my pristine roof, so I used bolt holes that were already on the sides of the top. Those carriage bolts hold the roof support, so the rack is attached to something sturdy, not just wood. Removed those carriage bolts and replaced them with longer bolts, spacers, and sealed it up with silicone. Rack is plenty strong and holds 260w worth of solar, a kayak, and paddle board with ease. Currently have foam blocks on the rack for protection, but have just ordered some J-mounts and waiting for them to arrive.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    William Freeman and Rik Peery like this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I used foam kayak blocks once on my Jayco. However I was very nervous about tightening the kayak down on the roof. I was afraid I would get pressure cracks. With my 14' kayak i wasn't able to put a bow line on without it getting in the way. My kayak also hung over the back and the stern line really would have prevented the kayak from killing me if the straps failed.
    Overall it worked and made it to my destination until I discovered the boat ramp was not near camp at all. So had to transfer the boat to the car. Should have just left it on the car for the hassle it caused me. To each their own. I don't feel comfortable with it on the camper roof, because gosh forbid if it was to fail it's going through my car. Not a good thought for me. That and the boat ramp never seems to be near camp for me.

13. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Our kayak/canoe/SUP carry system is similar to the original plan using pool noodles but we use upholserty foam (the blue foam available at most fabric stores). I cut those into rectangles and glued two together with a web strap through the long axis. Those can be strapped to the top of the car, PUP (eyebolts in the lower frame of the PUP) or on our flat-bed trailer.

Have thousands of miles on that system. Plus I can use the same foam blocks for any boat we have depending what I want to take that day or we have three sets in case we need all three boats.

14. sceri

sceri Active Member

Pics or it didn't happen.... [{:)] [;)] [:D]

15. Sastoks

Sastoks New Member

Huh...we've always just sat them directly on the roof and ran a couple ratchet straps from one side of trailer frame all the way up and over to the other side of the trailer frame. Kayaks are plastic. Trailer roof is plastic. They've never left a mark. One sits along side of the a/c unit and the other is shorter and fits in front of the a/c unit.

16. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Not all boats are plastic. Could be wood strip or skin-on-frame, all of our boats are home-made skin-on-frame so care must be taken on where the straps go.

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Yikes. My canoe is fairly delicate.

18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have a blow up kyack, make transport easy!