Kayak rack for pop up

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Ken Mc, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

Has anyone installed a kayak rack on top of their pop up? If so what type and brand did you use? Any advice or tips on installation would be appreciated.

My kayak is a 14'er, only weighs about 50 lbs.

My pop up is a Viking 1906.

2. Bob Bourgeois

Bob Bourgeois "I'd rather be camping"

they have bike racks for pop up roof's. I'm sure you could use one of those and just secure the J-Hooks for the kayak to those. You would just have to be sure you spaced them out/close enough to fit to the kayak.

3. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I used all my Yakima rack system on the Fleetwood rails. Just had to order different control towers.

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Check RhinoDave's pics. He's got a sweet little homemade unit for his boats.
    I use Thule feet and crossbars on the pup for bikes, the kayaks (both 16+') ride on the truck on Yakima Shark pads.
    I personally don't like the J hooks for anything but short trips to the local lakes, too many problems with the boats acting like a sail.. Anything over 15 miles and we take a vehicle with pads instead of J hooks.

5. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I spend a lot of time kayaking and camping (family trips, Boy Scout trips, paddling trips). We put racks on our tow vehicle (truck) and haul the kayaks on them. I personally did not want to drill holes in my camper roof. The other reason is that we do a lot of paddling where we travel upstream from the campground and float back to the campsite area or we tent camp while kayaking. It makes shuttle easier with the boat racks being on the vehicle. We also have a dedicated kayak trailer we take of longer outings with bigger groups if we are taking multiple boats and vehicles. I personally like the Yakima hullly rollers and cradles for loading boats on the truck as it makes it easier on my back. I have J cradles on my kayak trailer which allows room for 4 boats during shuttle (2 in cradles and 2 with kayak stackers). Spend money on straps with padded clamps so as to not damage your kayak. If you do put the racks on pup, have a plan for moving boats to and from the water once the camper is set up. It can as simple of foam blocks or pool noodles so as to not damage vehicle paint. Safe paddling.

6. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Note on transporting items on PUP racks, is I don't like lifting the top with the additional wt. I unload before raising roof!

7. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I currently have Malone SeaWing cradles: one I have mounted on my "extend-a-bed" rack and the second that is mounted on a 2x8 board that I put in the back of my truck. That is how I currently haul my kayak, it keeps it secure and protects it.

What if I do this:::: Get myself another SeaWing cradle and mount it on another 2x8 board. Put some rubber or carpet on bottom of the boards (for protection). Then strap the two cradles/boards onto the roof of the camper. Then strap the kayak to the cradles. This would prevent me from having to drill through the roof, and the kayak would be well secured in the cradles. If I use "good straps" to hold the cradles to the roof I think it should ride OK.

What do you guys think about this? Have you guys ever tried strapping items directly to the roof of your pup?

Ken Mc

8. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

There are many different ways to mount the kayak. The simplist and cheapest would be to use a couple of the foam kayak cradles in the center of the PUP roof and run two lines from both ends of the kayak down to the bottom corners of the PUP frame. Then maybe run one long strap over the center of the kayak and down to the frame as a safety strap. If you do not want to mount anything permanent, I might suggest making a framework that would hook over the roof sides to prevent side to side movement and that you could mount a cradle setup onto. You would still have to use front and rear straps. My home made towers and crossbars are mounted to T-tracks which came on my roof. The T-tracks allow for greater adjustability and flexibility in what rack systems you can buy and what all you can mount on the racks (canoes, kayaks, bikes, cargo rack., etc.) T-tracks can be purchased and mounted permanently to the roof.
    Here's a few pictures of my setup. Hope it helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag32/RhinoDave/Bicycles%20Kayaks%20Racks%20Dollies/2494407750104169197eaAIaL_fs_zps77dabacf.jpg

9. 77starmaster

77starmaster New Member

I made a 2x3" "I beam" and added a 8" x 12" board on the ends to rase it it some and spread out the weight. Worked great!

URL=http://s875.photobucket.com/user/signmoney/media/camper_zps59dee08c.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]