Keep faucets and drain open or closed and completely filled with antifreeze?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Remstarcan, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Remstarcan

Remstarcan New Member

My manual does not specify to whether I should close the drain and keep the faucets closed after filling with antifreeze. I pumped antifreeze and opened both hot and cold faucets on sink and outdoor shower (with drained hot water tank bypassed) until antifreeze came out. I then closed the faucets and then turned the pump off. My manual said to add 2 more cups of antifreeze down the drain. Before I did, I screwed a cap onto the outlet part of the drain on the outside of my pup before I poured 2 cups down the sink. So now all lines including the drain are completely filled with antifreeze. I'm worried that if there's still water anywhere at all I may have a problem as they'res no room for expansion at all with my closed valves and blocked drain. I've read that only p traps and the pump itself etc need to have antifreeze and that it appears some people keep their faucets open? Should I open my faucets (which would empty some antifreeze but apparently keep some where essential) and remove the cap from my drain (I've capped it where one would normally hook up a hose to a grey water bin to collect grey water). Also, do I need to remove the hot water heater anode? By the way, I'm in a climate that freezes all winter.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Once a faucet is filled with antifreeze, it will displace the water. Even if there is still a little water there, it will mix with antifreeze and be protected. It should not matter if valves are open or closed as far as freezing. I would close the drain and low point valves to keep critters out. Remove the anode and flush the sediment out of the water heater. Replace anode, if needed.

generok, xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I dont think it matters too much. Depends on how cold it gets. In upstate NY, where its pretty cold, qhen we qinterized the house we closed the spigots and never had a problem. I keep my vales closed in nj, but open would work also. Not like you can flood it out if its empty.

4. McSkippy

McSkippy Active Member

If you leave the faucet open, what do you think will happen when you fold the galley down?

5. Sjm9911

It may drain a bit. But it would be full of antifreeze, so nothing really.

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I blow out the lines with compressed air so there’s very little water left in there. Fill with antifreeze and close faucets.

jdsdj98 likes this.
  7. 3fortheroad

3fortheroad New Member

So, you fill the lines with antifreeze, even if you drained and blew out the lines, as well as the traps?
    If so, after closing the hot water tank bypass, do you pour a bit of antifreeze into the freshwater tank and pump until it flows through all 4 taps (sink and outside shower hot and cold)?? That is new to me.

8. gladecreekwy

Yup. I fill the lines completely with antifreeze. Not in the tank. My water pump has a hose that pulls antifreeze into the system. Fresh water tank just gets drained. Reaches 25 below where we live. I don’t take any chances.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. 3fortheroad

3fortheroad New Member

Our pump is under the floor. Not sure how we could bypass the water tank. We have a Fleetwood Utah.

10. Sjm9911

Bypass is eaither a valve system or disconecting the hoses from the water heater and putting in a splice. Its in the rear of the water heater, what you have depends on year and if anyone modded it out. Its not on the pump, usally.

11. curt86iroc

curt86iroc New Member

no need for antifreeze if you use a compressor and blow your lines out really well. they make adapters for this that attach to your city water hookup.

12. 3fortheroad

3fortheroad New Member

What size compressor would be needed?

13. Sjm9911

That works fine , untill it dosen't , and your water pump breaks. Its a dice roll. Sometimes your lucky, and sometimes you aren't.

14. curt86iroc

curt86iroc New Member

it's just like blowing out your sprinklers before winter. do it right and it works 100% of the time... no luck required. I'm assuming, since you're in NJ, you don't have sprinklers and aren't used to doing this, but it's honestly exactly the same thing. takes 15 mins.

kcsa75 likes this.
  15. Sjm9911

How do you blow out the water pump? The air will not go past the check valve? And i dont have sprinklers, but if i did dont they usally put a pump, if needed, in the basement?

16. Sjm9911

Maybe it doesn't get that cold down by you?

17. curt86iroc

curt86iroc New Member

it get's plenty cold here. for the water pump, just unhook the inlet hose and gravity drain (or use a compressor per the link below).

not sure what you mean about a "pump in the basement" for sprinklers. to winterize a sprinkler system, you turn off the water source and push air through the system with a compressor. when only air comes out the heads, you're done. same logic here. you can read a write up on this method for pups here:
    https://robertssales.com/articles_tutorials/winterizing.html

18. gladecreekwy

Compressed air will not clear my water pump. Water + - 20 = broken pump

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

I get it, we have big properties here and need a pressure boost. A small yard, needs a lot less pressure then a big one. Not everyone has the same systems. Lol.
    We had a guy here that did as you did, and never had a problem for 15 or so years, then his pump froze one day. For me to unhook the pump , unbolt it and tilt it to gravity feed is a lot more work then just using antifreeze. Add a loop so you can use the pump to do the work for you. But thats up to you.

20. curt86iroc

curt86iroc New Member

whatever method works for you!

kcsa75 likes this.