Keeping a toddler from rolling out

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by outdoorokie, Jan 20, 2010.

1. outdoorokie

outdoorokie New Member

We have a 22 month old that has just been transitioned to a toddler bed. We have a bed rail on her bed at home to keep her from rolling out. Has anyone used a bed rail in the PUP? Other suggestions to keep her from rolling out?

2. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Our kids have always slept sideways in the bunk, with their feet facing the front of the pup.

3. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Sideways and the rail for added comfort (for the parents).
    Some friends of ours folded down the dinette for the little one so it was less of a drop if the baby did fall out. The other bed was just a storage area until the baby was older.

4. wardog

wardog Member

You might do a search because I remember several months ago someone asked about this same thing. I think they recommended child bed rails like this one.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534602&cmSource=Search&cm_ven=Performics_Affs&cm_cat=k97475&cm_ite=Hide-Away%20Extra%20Long%20Bed%20Rail%20

5. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Member

We tried the bed rail in our first pup. Didn't work out so well. Because the matress was so light, he ended up pushing it out of the way and falling off the bed.

The next day I stretched an elastic cargo net vertically across the end of the bed to keep him in place. We woke up when he fell out of bed and the net caught him. It could have turned out a lot worse, but it still worried us a lot.

I ended up making a net out of non stretchy rope that finally worked but by then my wife decided she was done with camping. We sold the camper the next year.

Whatever you put up there, test it out thoroughly at home before you go camping.

6. outdoorokie

outdoorokie New Member

I was afraid the bed rail might not hold due to the mattress being so light. I checked out the link and saw and inflatable bed bolster. Anyone tried one of these either camping or at home. I think it would just roll off the bed with them.

7. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

I can't believe no one has suggested [DUCT] duct tape yet! What kind of forum is this? [:D] [:D]
    Seriously though, we have a rail similar to this one:
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't you attach a bracket of some sort (or maybe a cloth strap) on the bed to slip the legs through? That would keep the rail from falling over when the child rolls against it. Ours at home also has a long strap with a wide plate at the end that runs between the mattress and the box spring to the other side to keep the rail in place. Maybe an anchor could be installed on the far side of the mattress to keep the rail in place?

8. reidsd

reidsd Kelowna, B.C.

We did the "fold down the dinette" approach. Our Jayco 1207 has the U-dinette and a second, smaller dinette. We converted the smaller dinette into a bed. It gave us the backs of the seats and the sidewall of the PU to act as a 3-sided bed. The baby slept closest to the sidewall of the PU while my wife slept along the open side of the dinette bed. Even if the baby did crawl/roll off this bed, the fall to the floor would have been a lot less than from one of the large beds to the floor or falling out between the bed and the canvas to the ground (yikes). If we had to, we could actually fit the playpen in this dinette provided that we took out the folding table. This system worked well for us.

Scott

9. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

Pillows uesd around the sides and end.

10. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I can't speak from experience since we were tent campers until 08 and our youngest is 12. We are always looking for places to put our duffle bags. Won't a wall of them do it?

11. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

Also remembered that a friend added C clips to the bottom of the bunk instead of 1 there were 2 clips to spread out the shock cord.

12. jpohlcat

jpohlcat New Member

We will be having this issue this summer too for our just turned 2-year old and we have the bed rail at home; but wouldn't you feel the bars under the matress b/c the matress is much thinner than the one at home? Part of the reason we got the pop-up was to get off the tree roots [:D]...

13. Hollyhoff

Hollyhoff New Member

my shildren were 2 when we started camping.. they slept with their feef toward the middle of the pup.. never had a problem....they are small enough to sleep that way.

14. EHirning

EHirning New Member

We started with our youngest 3 and my son 5. The wife & I would split up and sleep one with each kid. Never had any problems with rolling out (thank goodness). I seem to remember someone using pooll noodles under the bottom sheet to help keep the little ones from rolling.

15. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

we sleep with our daughter between us........she just turned 3.........otherwise you worry all night and don't sleep well.......you might try a pack and play if you have the room.........SCmomma

16. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

i have seen a thin piece of plywood, the full width of the bed, attached at the end of the bunk end under the mattress with a piano hinge. Attach a small cable/rope to each end corner of the plywood, and attach it to the bunkend about 12" in. This will hold the plywood 'up' in a vertical position. When not in use, it folds under mattress for storage. Absolutely no setup time.

17. kelbell1

kelbell1 New Member

, we have a rail similar to this one:
    [​IMG]

It works fine! my daughter has never fallen out with it. Usually with the weight of the sleeping bags, pillows, toys and whatever else they have weighs the matress down. Never had any problems!

18. mrootes

mrootes 2009 Rockwood Freedom 1940LTD

Our toddler sleeps with one of us - it's part of the treat of camping. We usually trade each night to give the other one a break.

Any other setup and we don;t sleep relaxed.

19. craigbaker

craigbaker Member

We've always used sleeping bags (tent or pup camping). Currently we have a "queen" sized one that me and the DW share which is actually big enough for 2 adults (200+ lbs each) plus a small child. When the kids were younger we got a zip in for our individual bags that allowed for more space and one of us would just sleep with the toddler.

The only complaint would be that the bunk on our pup isn't big enough for 2 adults and a small child.

20. escott21

escott21 New Member

For us we folded down the dinette, and placed a few towels under the rails the bunk ends slide on so the DS head wouldnÂ’t get caught under them. For the other side we placed one of the smaller seat cushions under the sheet so if he rolled it would stop him from falling out. Worked for us. DS was 2 by the way.