Keeping Cool in the Heat

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Jan Cristo, May 25, 2019.

1. Jan Cristo

Jan Cristo New Member

I have an Aliner Scout and live in sunny Florida. I dry camp mostly with no access to electricity for the air conditioner and often do not have access to good shade when the temperatures can reach into the 90's. Has anyone devised a way to deflect the sun's rays to keep the interior cool? I may be crazy, but I hate to give up the benefits of camping all summer - could I do something like taping water heater insulation just to the A-frame part of the camper when it's parked? Surely someone else has had the experience of oppressive heat inside even after the temperature cools outside. There just isn't enough air flow even with the vent open and the door open and a battery operated fan going. I'm open to all ideas and suggestions.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle. I Camp in State Parks (which Fl has a lot of)
    and use the AC in the summer. You might try a tarp pitched over the unit, but do not pitch so it touches the unit sort of like a fly pitched over a tent. This might help, setting up in the shade should help. But in the 100 degree temperature nothing much except AC will help.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Can you get a couple small fans that can be placed in front of the windows? Those with a bigger one at the door should help a little. Set one of the fans facing out - that will help pull the fresh air through.

I have found that getting fresh air moving through the camper is more important than shading to cool things down at night.

You can also try wetting down the outside of the camper as soon as the sun goes down. I used to do that to my house in 100 degree weather when I didn't have any cooling system.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I second the advice of camping in state parks in the summer. Nothing like having a/c here in Florida. And our state parks are amazing!

seldomseen380 and Pommom70 like this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Never tried it, but how about a 20' x 30' silver tarp to reflect the sun and shade the camper from most angles. Everything else I think of, needs power.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

7. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

We have used a windshield sunscreen cut to fit inside the bubble window held in place with the blind pulled up to 1 or 2 inches from the top. It helps blocking some heat when the sun is beating on the camper. ( was told that would wreck the window if screen was not painted white.) Ours isnt painted so I leave the shade down a bit, no problems so far. 12v and battery fans in use too.
    I have seen some nice homemade bubble window awnings but never made one.
    Happy camping.

8. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

OMG... Go to the State Parks. They Have Power... Plug That Rig In...And Enjoy The A/C...[8D]

xxxapache likes this.
  9. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

we live in arizona, and we used gizmos on our old pup, they worked very well, cooled the pup down by about 15 degrees or more, than just ran a fan, that was enough to keep us cool for the few hours that it was hot outside, usually over 100 degrees

10. Jan Cristo

Jan Cristo New Member

Thank you all for your good advice. We do have a fan and it saved us during our one trip in the heat. Now we've purchased a heat reflective tarp to put over the camper (not touching the frame) to perhaps lessen the stored heat without shade. And especially thanks for the tips on State Parks. I didn't know that they were in a separate category! As a newbie I really do appreciate all of the 'considered' basic advice.

11. Jan Cristo

Jan Cristo New Member

I took seldomseen380's advice on State Parks and lo and behold! I have reservations at affordable sites all summer long! Thank you, thank you, thank you.