Keeping Elastomeric roof coating clean?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Asupremepop, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Asupremepop

Asupremepop Member

i recently painted my aluminum roof on my pup with Elastomeric paint. I’m noticing that it gets dirty very easily. It has a dull finish to it so nothing sheds off of it. I basically barely touched it with not crazy dirty hands but it left a very clear hand print. When I tried to clean it off it did not clean up well at all. Am I missing something here. Am I supposed to put yet another coating on it like a finish or am I stuck with this? Btw it is rustolium 67% Elastomeric roof coating. Any others here experience the same?

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I notice the same thing with Henry's Elastometric coating. Some yellowish stuff leaches out over a few week after painting as well. Never considered putting a glossier top coat. I'm going to research that. I keep a cover on my pup so it doesn't get too dirty.

3. Asupremepop

Asupremepop Member

B9D7FA46-0BAE-42ED-B516-C2EF29883F9F.jpeg I went ahead and painted the roof with an oil based enamel. Well I guess we’ll have to wait and see how it performs come spring. It’s getting covered for the winter after tomorrow. In the meantime it looks great and if a not a smudge on it... Yet!

tzmartin likes this.
  4. tzmartin

Let us know how the oil based product works. I hope it expands and contracts well with the heat.

5. Asupremepop

Asupremepop Member

Yea it probably won’t but may be better than the alternative. (A Very dirty roof.)

6. davekro

davekro Active Member

I'm just looking into painting my roof to seal possible non-visible pin holes. I was looking at Henry's Dura Brite 587 Elastomeric roof coating 100% Acrylic. Is this what you used? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0...e-Elastomeric-Roof-Coating-HE587146/202091035

PIA to need to re-coat to give the roof a decent cleanable surface. Anyone use the Silicone based roof paints (Henry Tropi-Cool or Black Jack Elasto-Kool 1000)? Did they have a better cleanable surface that the OP's experience?

Anyone use the Kool-Seal Elastomeric KST063-600 Acrylic? How is that surface for 'attracting and holding dirt'?

7. davekro

davekro Active Member

Would an Acrylic paint over the elastomeric expand and contract plenty (or better than oil based paint)?

8. tzmartin

Yes, oil tends to dry really hard and cracks more easily. Latex would flex and expand and contract more with the roof. The oil based might work if you prime well. Good luck!

9. davekro

davekro Active Member

The elastomeric house paint I used years ago did seem to have more of a flat finish than the regular paint I used on the north and east (less sun baked) sides of the house. But it has a green/gray hue. It'd not white and getting washed. ;o)
    I'd hope to find a coating that does not have the 'get dirty and not wash clean effect'. But if that is the nature of the beast and a coat of white acrylic latex gives it a cleanable semi gloss finish, that's OK. As long as it is sealed and protected.