Keeping eye on kids by using walkie-talkies.

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Dr.Hook, May 7, 2009.

1. Dr.Hook

Dr.Hook New Member

Decided to buy some walkie-talkies to keep an unseen eye on our daughter. Got a set of Audiovox on Kijiji for $20. 2 mile range.

Any tricks I should know about, or anyone else out there that using walkies talkies to keep an eye on the kids with some tips to offer?

2. Crackshot

Crackshot New Member

Well make sure they are charged. Run them on the lowest power setting if possible to conserve power and most important, educate youe kids on how they work, selecting power levels and frequency (channels) in case the selector gets bumped.
    Select and agree upon a "home" channel so you can always meet there and alway monitor it.

3. Cowboy Camper

Cowboy Camper New Member

Take time to find a 'clear' channel to use that no one else is on too. Have another clear channel as a back up as well. Call that Channel B.

I had these at work once upon a time, and every now and then we had some interesting cross traffic come through the speakers. Some of which need not be heard by kid's ears. If this happens, teach your daughter to understand what channel B is, without using the actual channel number.

Oh... and don't count on the full 2 mile range either, unless you have NO trees, hills buildings or anything else between you two.

4. gcandcc

gcandcc Member

They are great as long as the kids don't leave them on the playground or they go flying when they are on their bikes. Make sure they have a secure clip so they can clip them on and train them in how to use them. (I know the last statement sounds obvious but you'd be surprised how many kids don't know how)

5. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

This is pretty much what we the first time we started using the walkie talkies. We do let each of the older boys take turns being in charge of it. They have a cheap pair at home that they play with but while at the campground, so far, we have not let them "play' with their own. Instead we are trying to teach then that the walkie talkies are an important way to comunicate with them, a way to keep them safer while allowing them to explore the campground on their on. Sor far our grandkids have acted very responsable with them and we never have to track them down for dinner. [LOL]

6. wardog

wardog Member

We got a nice set of walkie talkies to use when we go skiing. We used them in March when we were camping. They worked great. My daughter and her friend were able to get away and do a little exporing without us losing track of them and our son was able to go fishing while in contact with us. We lock ours on a channel so they don't accidently change the channel. It made me feel better knowing I have contact with them at all times.

7. Dr.Hook

Dr.Hook New Member

Thanx for the replies everyone.

I plan on locking mine out so they channel can't be changed and they can not be turned off. I figure 2 miles of range is more than enough, since i've yet to see a campground that big.

8. 5happycampers

5happycampers New Member

My biggest problem with them is remembering them. lol It never fails that we are pulling into a campground and one of the kids will say we forgot the walkie talkies. I keep them in the house because I will use them outside of camping at times. Otherwise they have worked out great.

9. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We use walkie talkies also. Sometimes you hear very intersting talk on them. Very helpful to let them know when it is time to eat and when it is time to head back to the camper for the night.

10. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

These also work for the older folks. When I take my mom camping (68) I give her one of the radios, lock out the controls so she can't change channels and then if she falls or trips while walking on trails looking for Moose I can help out.

11. reidsd

reidsd Kelowna, B.C.

Timely topic. I just got a set that I thought we might use when we go camping. Based on others experiences, it looks like it was a reasonable idea. I had to use my aeroplan points (specific type of air line frequent flyer points) so I didn't actually pay for them. Motorola, I believe. Should be fun trying them out. I appreciated reading the comments from the replies from the experienced portal members.

12. Kypopper

Kypopper PuP IN Resto!!

Well I just put a set on my "Gear to get List!"

Thanks I didnt even think of them!!

13. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

I think using a walkie talkie as an electronic lease is a real bad idea. It would give the kids and the adults a false sense of security. If I can't see a child that I maybe camping with than I am not a happy camper. There are perverts and other issues that can cause issues that can come back to haunt you for a long time. Yes they can be a fun toy, but not a tool for the absence of supervision.

14. pandahelen

pandahelen Member

I don't know what age kids are being talked about here but I'm sure that no one is suggesting letting young children go unsupervised. My two are getting older now and are allowed to have a certain amount of freedom to explore at home now and I like to give them some freedom in the CG's as well. Walkie-talkies would allow us to give them that freedom but still know that we can call them back as needed. It would also let them contact us if they got hurt while walking somewhere. At some point, we have to give our kids a bit more freedom but this lets us keep in touch with them. That said, my children are both capable swimmers and are fairly responsible (as much as any child can be) so I don't worry about them falling into the water and not being able to get out or anything like that.

15. rcjsmom

rcjsmom New Member

I used walkie talkies with my son when he was around 9 before we got cell phones. Where we camp, we usually don't get service. He's 16 now, and it is good way to 'find' him. My younger son is 6 and he would not be sent off with one alone. Also, since I'm a single mom and they want to go into the boy bathroom, I can check on them if they've been in there a while. I'm coming in if they don't respond!

16. Dr.Hook

Dr.Hook New Member

IMO, using walkie-talkies is NOT an absence of supervision. Its just another way of keeping an eye on them. At the playground kids are EVERYWHERE, and I can't keep an eye on our 7 year old constantly. And if you are going to confine her playing to eyes reach, then whats the point of going camping???
    She lets us know where she is, where she is going, and we check every 15 minutes. Every now and then we will walk down to check on her.

When I see the number of kids that just roam around the campsite with not even walkie-talkies, well that concerns me. But then again, 90% of the campground are seasonals, and everyone keeps an eye on the kids that are there. At a different campground, I'd more than likely keep her in eyes reach, at least till I got a feeling for the site.

As for your "perverts" statement. yeah, they are everywhere. Seems now-a-days they can find there way into schools or those other places that are suppose to be considered safe. Those places that are suppose to have adult supervision.
    The trick is to educate your kids on how to spot a problem, the whole "stranger" thing, and what to do if an issue does arise.

And trust me, we have, and my daughter has it DRILLED into her head.

17. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Some how I knew this conversation was going to happen. My oldest grandchild is 10 and the next is 9. We give them a little more freedom than we do the 7 year old and the 4 year old gets no freedom at all. We would never send the 4 year old off with a walkie talkie and think he was safe. Having said that, in the hands of the 10 or 9 year old, the walkie talkie becomes an extension of us. If a pervert were to approach one of my grandchildren, they would press the button, alerting us to a danger situation.

In an perfect world, parnets would have the ability to be everywhere and do everything with each child at the same time. In a perfect world children could go to the play ground with out fear of strangers. I don't know about others, but my world is not perfect and I will employ any method avaliable to allow my grandchildren to have a little needed freedom.

Nothing replaces supervision, a walkie talkie is another tool for concerned parnets to use.

18. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

I have been to CG's where the parents just let there kids, regardless of age run with little or no supervisioin. Can't blame the child, but I will get right in the face of an adult.

19. wantingapup

wantingapup New Member

We also take our walkie talkies with us when kayaking (in a clear dry bag so we can still see it to use it). That way if one of us sees something like a bird they want to show the other We can do that without yelling and distributing the wildlife around us.

20. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain New Member

normally I would thing its a good idea....expect the last time I was camping(busy campground but dry camping)
    I think every kid there had a walkie and wanted to test the emergency signal every 2 secs...it got old fast trying to sit out under the trees in the shade with a newborn and having 20 kids running past bleeping the kid 3ft away from them....
    that kinda spoiled it for me...

you take your kid camping, why not just spend some time with that kid...hmmmmm