Keeping it Cool

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Melissa Weinert, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Melissa Weinert

Melissa Weinert New Member

How do you keep your pop up cool without an air conditioner installed ? Thanks!

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Camp only in the winter...

Horby, Orchid, tcbrady and 3 others like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Or put in an air conditioner. Depending on what you have you can add a rooftop unit or mod it out. Some also get the portable windowless type a.c..

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Popup Gizmos (PUGs) on the bunk ends help a lot. I would not camp in a popup in hot or cold weather without them.
    If you're camping with power hookups, you can use fans. We also have a 12v endless Breeze fan, which works for dry camping. It plugs into the 12v outlet, or we power it with our free standing Goal Zero Yeti 150 battery.
    Using open screens and closing curtains helps. Some people install Reflectix in the windows, but we preferred to keep them available for opening easily.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Move to Wyoming

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

One thing I have done works better than I thought it would. Some of my camping is creekside so I have a radiator pulled from car and route the two water port to the creek.

Put a 12VDC water pump in the input side and let it pump cool creek water through the radiator and let it feed back into the creek with the other outlet. I didn't have a 12VDC pump at first and used a 120VAC Washer Machine 120VAC pump running off my Power Inverter - That worked good too as long as my batteries were up... Then I put a O2-COOL 10-inch FAN that runs on DC or batteries and this will blow through the core of the radiator which is setting just inside my unused tent bed side. Its not a full blown air conditioner by any means but I do get cool air blowing into the tent bed area during the day or night... What ever you get blowing a cool breeze is better than not having some hehe... Of course after the sun goes down and cool night settles in around the camp site just using the fantastic fan works great too... I use the idea we used to do when living in Arizona back in the day and that is play games with opening two or three places with small openings to the outside and pull all of that cool you find out the fantastic fan mounted in the ceiling...

Playing with one of those ice chest filled with ice with a fan on top gave me this idea. Ice chest worked good too but you run out of ice pretty quick and all that is left is cold water. SO then I started adding cold creek into the ice chest after the ice melted... The car radiator works alot better than the Ice chest did and you have an endless supply of cool water...

I'm surprised you don't find something like this on the market

I'm always playing with thing like this when I am camping hehe... I had a lightning bug lamp too one time...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Rik Peery likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Belive it or not refrigeration used that same principal back in the day, it was run off of the city tap water.

8. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

We use bed end flys, possibly similar idea to the Gizmos but not insulated. It helps keep the heat from the sun off though. We also have a little camping fan that is rechargeable or mains powered, it's not big but helps if we're really struggling. Apart from that we just hope for natural breeze, and sleep with just a sheet on top (or empty duvet cover), and the 'windows' open.

9. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Get. An. Air. Conditioner. Plenty of mods around these parts where folks have installed window units without cutting holes, etc. I’m a Floridian and there’s no world without AC down here. Unzipping the windows is fine until it starts raining a monsoon, which it will down here almost every day. I kept mine on Liw and backed off the thermostat and it was chilly last night.

Orchid likes this.
  10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Hi Mellissa, HI from donna (SC) and welcome to the portal.

Personally I don't think there is a substitute for an A/C in my area. Not sure where you are located, but I know there seems to be a heat wave going across the nation..

I heard some people use a "portable a/c" in their pups, if you have room and don't have a weight limit you might try that?

On any given day here, it is over 90 and I can expect My PUP to be at least 10-15 degrees higher than that. Way to hot to be enjoyable.

Though it sounds like l need to hire ROY.. who seems to have come up with a great idea. That sounds like a genius handy man there.. lol.. : )

We use "GIZMOS" on our end bunks and dinette, block off one our bunks during the day with Styrofoam, have an A/C and run a home made "ice chest/a/c in ours.. Without those.. I would never go camping in the summer here in South Carolina..

I would be happy to share the plans on our "ice cooler/ac, (not a mist cooler) but like Roy said, the ice is going to melt REALLY fast, in the heat, especially without there being some form of "cooling" going on in the PUP already. It is only going to cool the tempt about 15 degrees from what is ALREADY" in the PUP.. Our "ice cooler/ac" only last about 4 to 5 hours, before we must empty and replace Ice.. It only compliments the a/c, it is NOT an a/c..
    So It may not be useful for you..

Best of luck... Happy camping..

donna

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When my old popup did not have an AC I took lots more trips to the beach/lake/the mountains or states in the north in my case. Places with lots of water to jump in if it gets hot or already naturally cool. I park in the shade if at all possible left all windows open to encourage the constant flow of air. If I camped with power I brought multiple fans. If worse gets to worse taking a drive around town with the AC on in the car or finding some stores/museums to cool down in helps as well. One very very hot day I took a book in the bath house which had AC and just sat and read until I got the body temperature down. There is no substitute for AC but keeping fans to help provide the constant flow of air, keeping well hydrated, staying in the shade during the worst of the heat is the best you can do. They do make tabletop Portable ACs where all you need to worry about is keeping the drip tray empty and a heat exhaust directed outside the camper but takes up precious counter space. Some have also Jerry rigged a window unit in to help, but there was no way I was going to cut a hole in my camper. I considered buying a window unit and press it up against the screen but that also ment I had to bring a bench tall enough to rest it on. I decided that was just too inconvenient and lifting the window units up to the screen would have been a comedy act for everyone but me. My next camper, AC was one of my requirements. I did look into adding a roof top AC on my old camper but with the estimates I got from the shop working on it, it wasn't worth the money on a camper that was worth less. Especially since I found out that my old roof was not even prepped for AC so that would have ment more money to ensure it has the appropriate braces needed to support the weight.

landon6062 likes this.
  12. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

When we camp, we expect to have to deal with weather conditions. Here in Michigan it can be cool one day and 90+ degrees the next. We do take a fan but that's it. If it's hot, it's hot. I've been hot before and I'll be hot again. It won't kill me. Maybe we're the exceptions but we like to be able to adapt to conditions and maybe prove to ourselves that we could live like our ancestors did. (At least for a short while).For us, that's what camping is all about.

Koalavan and Rik Peery like this.
  13. Sjm9911

Put me in the a.c. camp, I work to hard and long to not have it!To each there own, there is no right or wrong answer. But I will say therr are lots of threads on how to keep the pups cool. There might be a reason for that.........

14. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

As you've seen cool is a relative term. Without an AC plan to only be able to effect the temp a few degrees from ambient. If it's 90 outside there is no such thing as cool without it, just slightly less hot.

15. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

If you have hookups, a small oscillating fan works great. We camped in 90°+ with high humidity, and with the screens open it kept us comfortable at night. It lives in the camper now. You can move it outside during the day to help keep you cool(er), too.

16. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

We like to think back to how previous generations coped without airconditioning :) Which was mainly shade and letting the breeze through.

We bought our expensive camping fan in desperation on our first camping trip, after we nearly gave ourselves heat stroke trying to get to sleep in a tent that was mostly sealed up because a heavy storm was expected overnight. It definitely pays to know which windows are sheltered enough to leave unzipped in case of rain, and the bed end flys definitely help there.

Interesting to see what a different experience others have though, we are in a subtropical area of Australia and if it was blazing hot I'd probably do what everyone else does and find a pool or go to the air-conditioned shopping malls/cinema/library during the day. When it's humid we just drink a lot of coconut water and sweat a lot. Setting up in the heat has been more of an issue for us than it being hot during the actual holiday.

17. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I’m in the no ac grouping. Pugs,fantastic fan, bunk end fans and park camper under trees.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

Poconos , are 10 degrees cooler then here, and much less humid, I should camp there !

19. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Bunk-end fans can really help. During the day, have them blowing towards the center of the camper and at bedtime, point them down at the bunks.

I went X-country in the later half of August 2017, really HOT! The deep South, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and I used two bunk-end fans and one of those o2cool fans. No A/C! And I'm a big guy with lots of Winter insulation.

One trick with something like an o2cool fan, put it on the floor pointing up (lay it flat). Get the cooler air from the floor up into the rest of the camper.

Koalavan likes this.