Keeping the Battery Maintained During Winter

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Ted S., Nov 15, 2012.

1. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I have a WFCO Three Stage Converter with a single Group 24 deep cell battery, I am concerned about letting it sit this winter and would like to make sure it is cared for.

When I bought my PUP, I bought some accessories they recommended, one of which was a 15 to 30 amp adapter, which means I plug my 30 amp wiring harness into a 15 amp service.

Would this be sufficient to maintain the battery if I plug it into the wall outlet of my garage? The converter should be charging the battery, correct? I don't know if I would leave it plugged in, but a day a month I would think would be ok

I'm just not too comfortable on using the adapter.

Thanks

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The adapter would be OK, you are not using anything like the air conditioner. I would do not leave the battery in the PUP. I put it in the basement and check the state of charge once a month and charge only as needed. Never had good luck leaving a changer/tender connected all winter on the tractor, motorcycles, or camper.

3. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

The PUP is in a garage, are you saying I should not leave it in the battery box on the tongue? Thanks

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

If the camper is in the garage then I would not remove the battery but I would remove the wires from it. Hook up a regular battery charger, not a trickle charger. Have it where you only have to plug in the charger to start charging the battery. Pick a day each month, say the first Saturday and check the fluid level and plug the charger in and charge the battery to 13.9-14.2 volts.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

^^^I agree.^^^

6. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

I just pull the battery and put it in the basement, then worry about in the spring. Do the same thing for my boat batteries. This has worked for me for the past 10 years with my boats, RV's and lawn tractors.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Storage
    Charge batteries before placing in storage.
    Store in a cool, dry location, protected from the elements.
    Disconnect from equipment to eliminate potential parasitic loads
    that may discharge the battery.
    Batteries gradually self-discharge during storage. Monitor
    the specific gravity or voltage every 4-6 weeks. Stored
    batteries should be given a boost charge when they are at
    70% state of charge (SOC) or less.
    When batteries are taken out of storage, recharge before use.

8. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

You can charge your battery by plugging in the converter. I would leave it hooked up a day or two and then unplug it and disconnect a battery cable to keep the co2 detector and anything else that's pulling juice from running the battery down. Do that once a month and you should be fine.

9. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

My battery is sitting on the workbench in the garage hooked up to a float charger. I leave it hooked up for a few days to a week and then disconnect it and hook the same charger up tp my lawn tractor battery. This rotation method may be more work than necessary...I mean, removing those wing nuts on the battery wears me out [:D]..but it works for me and gives me a great excuse to piddle around in the garage.