Keeping water out while driving?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Wolfcamper, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Wolfcamper

Wolfcamper New Member

I have a 1999 Coleman Bayside. When it is popped down, the seal above the front storage trunk still has a gap. The gap is about 1 inch at its worse end to about 1/4 inch on the other side. There was a leak while the camper was closed up before I purchased the camper (3 months ago) that I have sealed. Currently, we are fully waterproof while parked and popped down and while parked and popped up. It's only when we drive that the issue arises. Due to the previous leak, the front storage compartment has dropped a bit, hence the gap. I am not ready to dive in and do a full rebuild of the front storage trunk, however tempting! I am imagining a removable flashing system that I can attach to the camper while we are driving that would prevent rain from being forced in. I went to Home Depot and bought the largest weatherstripping they had, however, it didn't cover the gap.

I am thinking of something that would attach to the upper portion and "drape" over the seal, but then could be removed when we need to set up the bunk ends. I am fine with a permanent solution, ie. glue, flex seal, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    The black rubber seal does not reach. The white part is a section of weatherseal that I put on. However, it does not create a tight gap.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the actual gap. Again, I am thinking of adhering a removable flashing system that I can put on when driving. Maybe some strong velcro and a piece of metal flashing that adheres to it and spans the gap. Maybe soften the flashing by wrapping it some some flex seal tape?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Assuming you are dry when fully up or down, and not as stated above. Pictures of the area would help.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Is it just the trunk lid? Or is the front storage compartment pulling away from the pup?

4. Wolfcamper

Wolfcamper New Member

The whole storage compartment has dropped about an inch on the right hand side. The frame is fine, just the abs? pieces. The leak is with the actual camper. because the bottom of it connected to the storage trunk has dropped, the top doesn't reach and the seal is not made. I updated post with some pics for reference. Thanks.

5. Wolfcamper

Wolfcamper New Member

I apologize. It's what I get for trying to make a post while also making dinner and getting kids ready for practice! o_O We ARE fully dry when popped up or down. Only issue is when driving it in the rain. I updated with some pics for reference. Thanks

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

A roll of black duct tape is cheap and tough. It has sealed up many gaps until they could be repaired.

1380ken likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats the top of the camper? Not the box correct? Try repacking the canvas inside, the top should go down, make sure there is nothing in the way, on the beds etc. Make sure the camper is level when lowering the roof. So , in set up level , raise roof , then stabilize, opposite on the packing up. If that dosent work give ot a shake. The seal looks ok the roof isnt going down. The storage box shouldn't effect the top. ( at least on mine, its seprate though tied in. )

8. kcormier19

kcormier19 Member

If it is only leaking while driving, as a temporary fix, you could take a foam pool noodle, slice it the long way to make an opening, and then insert the noodle around the current black rubber roof gasket the full length of the front of the camper. When you close the roof, it should fill in the gap. It is not a permanent solution, you would want to know why the roof is not making good contact there, but it would work until then.
    The concern about this is that it may prevent the sides of the roof near the front to not go all the way down so use a noodle that is not too thick. you could also try a piece of foam pipe insulation. These are already cut, and are a little more flexible compression wise so gaps on the side may not be as bad of an issue.

9. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member