Keeping your popup cool.

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Ruffstff, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Ruffstff

Ruffstff New Member

New owner here. Our popup doesn't have A/C so I'm curious what some of you owners without A/C do to keep your camper cool. It has tinted windows and a vent fan so I'm sure that'll help a bit. I have a portable stand up home AC unit I thought about taking with us ( later in the summer when it heats up) but I'm not sure the outlet on my pick up truck or the outlet in the camper could handle it aside from hooking it up to a generator. Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new Pup. You're in for a lot of enjoyment.

We have a floor model AC that we use in the Pup. It runs on 120v without problem. It'll freeze you out. When it's not stifling hot, we have a small fan in the camper to keep the air moving. [:)C]

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

First it would help for us to know where you live and camp, as the suggestions will vary depending on if your in the PNW or Southern Sunshine States or Northern East Coast or even majority of Canada..

When we had our pup it sounds like it was pretty much the same,. Tinted windows, fantastik vent fan and no a/c (found them completely stupid on a pup unless your down South in places like Nevada, Texas etc.) and what we would do, is open both bunkends and between the open ends, the fantastik vent and two other desk top fans, we cooled things down decently ..

4. Ruffstff

Ruffstff New Member

Thanks KCSA. Our portable A/C unit should do the trick but I'm going to do a little more research on it before I use it. It's a heavy unit weighs about 50 pounds. I'd prefer not to travel with it if I can find more convenient ways to keep cool. We will definitely be buying a couple small box fans to keep some air circulation.

Thanks for the info snow. We live in southern Idaho. Summer time temps can reach 100+. It's high desert climate. Good to hear fans keep your unit cool. It shouldn't be to bad for us considering we own a smaller unit. Thanks again.

5. Tala

Tala New Member

Lots of folks recommend Popup Gizmos for the bunkends; they are made of a reflective material that makes a huge difference in the interior temp. They have designs for tons of popup makes and models and the company has a great customer service reputation. http://www.popupgizmos.com/

theseus and Norman Rance like this.
  6. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I have survived so far with the use of a couple oscillating electric fans, and opening the windows. Of course we always try and find sites that offer some shade.

I recently acquired a set of the popup gizmos to help deflect some of the sun's heat. But have not really had a good opportunity to camp with them in place, when the temps were high. Setup in the driveway was encouraging however.

7. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

If it is July or August up here in Wisconsin we make sure we have a shaded spot at the campground or a campground near Lake Michigan. My wife is good at keeping the curtains closed on the sunny side of the pup. I also agree with having a couple of fans to move the air.

8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

The issue is really what the temp gets down to at night and what the humidity is (we don't spend much time in our camper during the day). If the temp drops at night and it is not that humid, you just open it up and sleep great. I'm up in MN and you would think that you would never need an AC (and in fact, that is more or less true), but one time a few years back we went to a relatively local SP with some friends. First night great, hot the next day, but spent that swimming. Gets into evening and it is not cooling down. 10 pm and it is still 94 degrees out and the dew point was something like 76. Incredibly uncomfortable with three younger kids. We packed everything up, went home and slept on the floor in the basement (nice and cool in the AC). We were in a wooded spot to boot, but the night heat and high humidity is a killer.

CC&J likes this.
  9. Thedude66

Thedude66 Member

My wife wants AC in our pup but I don't want to cut into the ABS roof, so I have been looking into a portable unit. Do you ever have moisture issues from the runoff and do you use an exhaust hose?

10. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

I put my portable on the counter next to the door and do not need to use the exhaust hose because the hot air exhaust fitting lines up perfectly with a corner of the window which I unzip and let he hot air blow right through the screen. The moisture is discharged into the exhaust air so moisture is not a problem but I put a lid from a plastic storage container under the unit to catch any water just in case.
    I run a separate cord from the power post to run the AC.
    Only drawback is that my unit is too tall to stay in the pup when packed up so it requires moving it back and forth from the TV. Even with the casters removed it's about 1" too tall.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I used a portable in the Apache for 8 years. Most of the moisture went out with the exhaust. The unit does have a catch pan with a plug for any that can't be exhausted. I drained it after each trip and never got more than a few ounces out.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Blasphemy! There is only ONE Sunshine State. And that is Florida.

Symon and kcsa75 like this.
  13. Thedude66

Thedude66 Member

Thanks Terry! How many BTUs is your ac and can they be transported laying down? I have my eye on this one:
    https://www.allergyandair.com/edges...103899673385&gclid=CM_gvp6yidMCFRKTfgodeKQIPg

14. cyndib

cyndib Member

I would suggest the Popup Gizmo's and refletix in the windows. It really does make a huge temperature difference.

15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I transported my portable laying down. It stayed in the camper under the dinette when not in use. Laying all those years must not have hurt it. It's 10 years old and still works great. My heatpump went out last summer. I pulled out the portable and cooled about half my house with it.

16. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

dude -
    Mine is 8000 BTU and does a good job. Can't leave it on high because it gets the pup too cold in 90 degree outside temps. Owners manual says not to lay them down or if you do, leave it upright for 24 hours to let the coolant redistribute (? or something like that) before operating.

Symon likes this.
  17. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

As others have said, moisture is taken care of by the exhaust. I set the unit on the counter, then put the exhaust hose between the screen and the window, then zip it up as tight as I can get it. No moisture issues.
    Our unit will fit standing up between the beds when all is folded up.

18. Thedude66

Thedude66 Member

Thanks for all the help!

19. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

If you do not want to go the AC route I would recommend a Fantastic Fan to replace your current exhaust fan. They run on 12VDC. So if your out in the toollies you can still move air thru the unit. You dont have to cut into your roof as you are already wired and have an opening with your OEM fan. They move a LOT of air. Heck of a lot cheaper than an AC unit. I'm assuming your current exhaust fan is one of those noisy 4 or 5 inch peckerwoods that ain't worth a broke dxxk. Super quiet too. Higher end models operate both intake an exhaust. Install takes a coupla hours.

20. Symon

Symon New Member