Kenai Riverside RV Park

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by generok, Jun 20, 2014.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Located in Cooper Landing, Alaska. It's only minutes away from the Russian River. This private campground markets itself as a full hookup site with full services. I beg to differ.

It is, unfortunately, typical of Alaskan RV Parks - a gravel, somewhat level, pad with railroad ties denoting the grid into which you back into. It's essentially a parking lot. The spots have no tables at them, no grill, no fire pit/ring... it's a gravel lot. There are a few picnic tables around the edge some of the heartier folks dragged beside their spots, and the same with grills. I don't know if it was okay, but many folks collected large rocks and made a fire ring and had a fire in their parking spot. Okay, I can dig that, it's Alaska. I've camped at these kinds of places before, but normally for about $10-$15 a night. This place charged $39 a night.

But to top it off, the bathrooms are only open from 7am - 9pm. After that, it's porta-potties. I don't care, but DW and DD do not DO porta-poties. Outhouses, sure, but not porta-poties. So, that was problematic. The main lodge/desk was fairly helpful. They have coffee on in the morning for CG guests.

I guess my biggest problem was how tight it was and how all the amenities were so limited. Most places close at night, but at least the bathroom has a combo lock or something.

With the Russian River USFS CG just down the road, I would not stay here again. The Russian River CG was full that week, so we moved down here. Scratch that one off the list.

2. Xiongmao12

Xiongmao12 Member

OMG that's horrible! I've never stayed in an RV park in Alaska. We always tent camped wherever we found a place to camp. We did use the campground near the Russian River once. But that's just horrible marketing to tourists on the RV park's part. It certainly is not the Alaska that we would want to visit or show to others. And, I'm sure it's not what people are expecting who are visiting Alaska for the first time. We stayed in a KOA in Wyoming one time for an overnighter that wasn't much better. I believe it was actually an old outdoor movie theatre at one point turned into an RV park.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

[​IMG]