Kickapoo SP

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by ~erik~, Apr 17, 2017.

1. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Planning a trip in early May. Not been before. Any recommendations on loops/sites? Nearby restaurants? Anything else to know?

Thanks!
    ~erik~

2. BAPU

BAPU Member

I just came to add a review of this campground. Did you already go?

3. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Thanks for the review. Nope, haven't gone yet. It's a long story, but because of all the rain planting at the farm we'll be helping build a fence at has been delayed and we're waiting to hear when to head up there....

Based on looking at the map of the campground we'd thought Illini loop #75 or #77 looked good, as did Miami loop #59, Fox loop #88 or #90, but not the Erie loop. Forgot what I'd based that on, but will keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks!

BAPU likes this.
  4. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

Erik this is a very good state park. A lot of things to do here. Hiking and canoeing and rugged canoeing or kayak and scenic river tubing or canoeing. All so biking up and down roads or 10 trails for biking. Fishing and electric motor only boats for boating or rent a kayak and do it solo. This area Is a bunch of old coal strip mines with 22 small lakes. Its a very well used park but very well maintained. Very popular so if a holiday weekend you will need reservations. There are 184 sites and I have seen it totally booked. Heavily wooded and very hilly.

5. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Good to hear about this, this would be a good weekend for us.

@ill.plansman how are the shower houses? Clean? Large enough?

Also, I recognize your avatar from Metropolis, driven through there many times on the way down to Florida. I have a recent pic of my kids by the smaller Superman that's at the rest stop!

6. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

CamperChrissy, the pic of Superman and my wife comes from last years trip on our way home. After all these years I finally got to visit with him in his home town. LOL. As far as Kickapoo State Park we noticed the last time we were there that the host was cleaning the restrooms about 10 or 11AM. I felt they did a pretty good job and seemed to try hard at maintaining the bathrooms. The showers seamed to be big enough. That was back in 2015. We haven't been to visit in a while. There are just so many places to camp around central Illinois, you see. In retrospect this is a great place to visit. If you get to bring your bikes this is a fun thing to be doing. Or a kayak and some boating. Also I think you can rent them to. Boats and bikes that is. Taking walks can be a blast. Some trails take you on a very long hike. In the fall of course all the trees change color and they have great beauty in and around the lakes and the ponds. As I said before, if its a holiday weekend expect to find no spaces available without reservations. Enjoy.

7. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

This park was built by the CCC and they had two different camps back in the thirties one for the whites and another camp for the blacks. My father worked there when he was a boy and knew the history about the place. Lots of neat hiking trails and plenty of places to fish. Last time we visited the park there was a ton of deer walking around in the evening hours.