Kickstarter Cast Iron

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by mpking, Nov 14, 2016.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Figured I'd throw this out there:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/innovative-cast-iron/marquette-castings-superior-cast-iron-skillets?ref=FundedToday&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=12dsa.fnd.to

Someone is trying to make "better" cast iron. Goals were to replicate the finish of vintage cast iron, while using new casting techniques to reduce weight.

Had an interesting section on they're seasoning process.

2. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

Holy prices, Batman!

I'm always happy to see someone trying to build a better mousetrap, but I figure backpackers aren't going to be hauling cast iron at any weight. Maybe these will be somewhat easier to use, but I got my 12" for less than $20 a long time ago, and my set of smaller ones was only a few bucks more. The 10" is the one we take camping and it already feels light as a feather compared to the 12".

I don't think I'm getting one.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

X2

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This may be the cookware of the future. Seems like a good idea if it lasts like the original stuff.

Unfortunately, it's not in my immediate future due to price. I'll just stick with my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" cast iron that has been around for generations.

Cast iron is something that only needs to be purchased once. If these folks make cast iron that is lighter, easier to care for, and lasts forever, they very well may put every other company out of business.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

There is a typo on the ad. These are actually made of gold.

7. idler

idler Member

I saw these online before and thought it looked interesting. I just don't have $ to try it out now. I'd be curious to hear form an owner.

In the meantime, I planned to re-season my newish cast iron with the procedure America's Test Kitchen recommends with flaxseed oil. I'm hoping for miraculous, mamma's-black-pot results.

8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

One reason, not the only reason, that cast iron is popular cookware is due to it's thermal mas. It holds heat for repeated insertion of cold food without cooling off too much. Making the pans thinner with less mass wouldn't appeal to me.

9. idler

idler Member

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I never knew about the flax seed oil until I looked at the OP kickstarter. I have always used Crisco. I'm going to get some flax seed oil for sure.

11. ByramTra

ByramTra Member

Ya, I'll stick with my proven inherited and second hand cast iron. I prefer the vintage cast iron dating to at least the 30s to 50s. Most of the new cheap cast iron has poor surface/ finish. Lodge is about the best for its price range, and would be my choice for new, if I was going to. Those pans appeared to have a good surface, but not worth that much more to me. Same with the seasoning. Looks pretty decent, but after a few meals its moot because seasoning is a living, breathing animal. No matter how good a seasoning process they use it is quickly improved upon by cooking, or damaged through miss handling/ poor cleaning. If you need light weight buy SS, Aluminum, enamel ect. When it comes to cooking with cast iron "the heavier the better."

Just my thoughts, as a budget minded working man who isn't rich.

12. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I agree with you, much too rich for my blood.

I'm fascinated with the science. Between the one I posted, and the one that Idlerockfarm posted, is a very interesting read, and also a bit of WHY new cast iron can't hold a candle to old cast iron. I've always heard that, but never knew why.

Both of these kickstarters talk about that, and about how old cast iron has a VERY smooth surface, compared to new cast iron. But you can't just CNC mill or sand new cast iron, since it will be TOO smooth.

Like I said, Science!
    [​IMG]