Kids bed divider

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by jab2181, May 3, 2014.

1. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

The DW and I were discussing that we want our dining table back from our oldest daughter. Our oldest likes to kick/hit our youngest in her sleep while she is rolling around. So on "date night" tonight while eating Mexican I started drawing on a napkin and we decided to make a trip to Home Depot and buy our supply's. We bought four 3/4" x 10 ft PVC, 12 "T" connectors and 6 90 degree elbows. After an hour of measuring, cutting and piecing together we have this!
    [​IMG]
    The base will go under the mattress and the top will connect and be perfect with the mattress. DW is going to make a cover with the same material we used for the curtains and adding pouches for there things.

2. Doyle

Doyle Member

That is outstanding! Well done. I can see our family needing something like this on the near future.

Sent from my iPhone

3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Do you store the barbed wire separately and it goes on after it's in place? Or will it be permanent installation? [}:)] [:D]

4. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

LMAO!!! [LOL] [LOL]
    Lol it will come down before storage! We do not want the canvas ruined hahaha!

5. Fless

Fless Active Member

Do you use insulators for the electric fence wire or just the PVC? [LOL]

6. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Cover with pockets done!
    [​IMG]

7. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

redacted

8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

looks great and a very clever idea. but I am wondering won't the base, even under the mattress be uncomfortable to sleep on?

9. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

It only goes out about 6 inches on each side, an adult yes but they have a ton of room on each side.

10. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

? Lol

11. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

oh good! I forget that when we had our pop up, our bunk ends were very small and narrow... we had a Coleman Fleetwood Taos with bunks sized somewhere between a twin and full size bed... Most everyone else has larger bunks than we did [;)]

12. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Ya it is a queen size bed, the sleep feet towards the pup so the way they sleep it's like the bed is wider than a twin bed for each of them. We have a king and sleep the same way, I asked the DW if she wanted me to make one for us but she was not impressed [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

13. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

You have to cuddle with the wifey! [LOL]

We had our boys sleeping together in one bunk or on the dinette. The beds were really too small for me and my husband to share. Initially we had the boys at ages 4&6 sleeping head to foot. But then the younger one complained that he didn't like having his brothers stinky feet near his face(I wouldn't either!). So they ended up happier with both heads on one end. Your awesome mod would have come in handy as an odor blocking device!

Last summer for various reasons including sleeping arrangements, we purchased the TT. Now we have a bunk house. And the boys have their own beds, and my husband and I can share the queen [;)]

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oh man that would have come in handy when I had to bunk with my niece on one camping trip. She was all over that bed kicking/hitting me from all ends. Heck she even managed to give me a bloody nose in her sleep. I didn't get a wink of sleep she however was down for the count.

15. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

Good job, now everyone will have a peaceful nights rest with there on quarters.

16. Guntr

Guntr New Member

Awesome idea! I was considering something like this, but our mattresses are one piece. Any thoughts?

17. hsr

hsr Member

Just make it the same way, but so that the mattress fits into the space below the wall. Slide it onto the mattress from one end. I put a picture of what I mean at the url below:
    http://robotron.freeservers.com/divider.jpg

18. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

We just have a curtain that hangs on the shepherd's pole to divide the bunk end. Not a rigid barrier like this one, but it helps a bit with the touch-me-nots.

19. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

The space from the bottom to where the top connects is about 4.5 inches so the mattress goes between the top and bottom. fits pretty snug!

We had this as well but my oldest would role over and it would come off the pole. We tried it the first two trips last year and gave up when she kept pulling it down in the middle of the night lol.

20. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

We hing a sheet from the shepards pole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk