Kind of a sad day

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by firepit, Aug 3, 2021.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

My Dad passed in 04 but i got his truck tool box and had to take it off tonight...The doors wouldnt close right and it was crackin all over...i couldnt bear to throw it away so was gonna make legs for it and plant flowers in it and put it by the shed in back yard.
    Corny i know but we have a privacy fence and i was reaching for a way to use it.
    Well i got it unloaded and took off my truck and its toast...floors all cracked...where the door hinge latches are attached to box are cracked up.
    Its sad but i got every bit of use out of it i could.

2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

My Dad passed away in 1996. I still have the shirts he wore in his last days. I also have his soldering iron that he dropped and broke, then glued the darn case back together. It still works and I use it every now and then. I also have his last computer keyboard with enlarged keys, and the radio he use to listen to. Now I am almost as old as he was when he passed. Makes you want to think about things...

firepit, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not stupid at all. There are just certain things man... living in the past isn’t good, but keeping fond memories alive is awesome! Whether it is a picture, a place, a tool box, a boom box.... WE keep stuff alive... until it’s someone else’s turn

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I have things from my grandfather I cannot bear to part with. One of them is his belt buckle he always wore! He passed in 1982.

neighbormike and firepit like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not stupid at all, sorry you find it’s not usable as a flowerbox. Is there something on it you can salvage maybe and install on something else or somehow incorporate with something else? My grandfather was a wood worker he once incorporated a piece of metal and strip of wood off of a special box he always had and I guess you call it inlayed it in a cabinet door. Looked absolutely beautiful when it was done, it was very special to him. We all have something of loved ones that passed we carry around to help hold the memory you have of them. Good luck.

neighbormike and firepit like this.
  6. firepit

I have a ton of his tools...guns...shirts...ball caps etc....But man its hard to let go of anything even if you used it until its worn out.

7. Grandpa Don

I just have to make this post. Just feeling a little odd right now. My youngest sister "Gayle" (B-1950) has a birthday coming up on August 15th. Unfortunately she is not with us to enjoy it. On my very first camping trip with my new-to-me Viking I went up to lake Isabella in California. I knew that Gayle was in the hospital with some sort of intestinal issue. A ruptured Colon I think they said. She was very infected but was expected to recover. I got to the camp site around 4 in the afternoon and completed my very first set up. I cooked something to eat and was just sitting there thinking about how nice it was to have a camper and to be able to get up to the lake. Just after dark around 6p.m. I got a TEXT from my other younger sister Peggy. It was short. All it said was "Gayle passed away 30 minutes ago. Don't call. Can't talk now"

I was in shock and disbelief. I was choked up for a while. I decided that I could not spend the night by myself. I packed up the camper and drove home at night with the Viking behind me.

fourhallatts and neighbormike like this.
  8. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

When my dad left us 6 years ago I had to clear his house and what stuck in my head was all the things he had collected over the years I had to now get rid of. It is hard, but when I go I dont't want anyone to have to think shall I keep this or let this go so I've been slowly reducing my collection of things that "may come in handy one day". We still have fond memories that will never be lost ( hopefully).

9. Grandpa Don

Now let's go way back in time and show you just how sentimental I am. My Grandfather and Grandmother on my Dad's side came to California in 1898. In 1909 he built a house for his family in the little town of Grimes. Grandpa was a carpenter and I'm told he built most of the house himself. He passed away in that house in 1930, and my grandmother lived there until her death in 1950. All of my Aunts and Uncles on Dad's side were born and grew up in that house including my Dad. All are gone now. When Dad came home from World War II he married my mother. I was born in 1945 and all three of us lived for a while in that same house while Dad built his own house next door. They did not have an indoor bathroom in the house until 1925. My Dad told the story about a horse drawn wagon delivering the bath tub, toilet and sink one day when he was home from school sick. After Grandma died in 1950 the house was sold to a family friend, who lived in it until her death in 2005.

That's the history, now for the sentimental part. The bathroom was remodeled in about 1998 or so. The old bathtub was removed and just stored in the back yard. On one of my frequent trips to Grimes I saw the bathtub in the yard and asked if I could have it. I drove 400 miles one weekend to retrieve it. It is hard for me to believe that that bathtub was the last tub my Grandfather and Grandmother took a bath in. All of my Aunts and Uncle bathed in it. As a baby I was given a bath in it as well. The water valves are all original. My Grandma and Grandpa's hands turned those handles.

When the property was cleaned up, they found the old Root cellar that had been closed up. In it they found some beer and soda bottles, a 1920 vehicle license plate and other small items that were long forgotten. The cellar was lined with Redwood. I have several pieces of that redwood cleaned and mounted in my house. The house is still lived in to this day and I am friends with the new owner. He knows the history of the house. Every time he finds something odd in the yard, he calls me to see if I want it. Below is a photo of my Grandparents taken in front of the house in 1913. Grandma is pregnant with my Dad in this photo. I don't know if anyone cares to read this, but I wanted to tell it anyway. I'm really feeling old today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

My daddy gave me a name.

11. neighbormike

@Grandpa Don that is an awesome story! I have lots of “little keepsakes”... some I actually get to use... my grandpa’s vice on my bench at work (for example)... he may not be right here, but his tools are still working and helping me earn a living....

firepit and Grandpa Don like this.
  12. firepit

Most of my dads old tools i have managed to use for the camper....He loved camping so i incorporated lots of them into
    my tool kit for the camper.

neighbormike likes this.
  13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

@Grandpa Don what an awesome story and memories you have. Sadly anything before and during the great depression has been forever kept secret by my relatives on both sides of the family. It's sad, All I got was "I can't talk about it". Cherish those memories you have and share them with your kids/grandkids. I would love to know my family history like you do of yours. Unfortunately it has been forever lost to me.

Grandpa Don and neighbormike like this.
  14. Grandpa Don

Before my younger sister Gayle passed away unexpectedly a few years ago, she was the keeper of the family blood line history She was heavy into Genealogy for our family on both side. She had information on our family history that went back to the early 1800s. She even traveled to Wisconsin to visit the 1800s family farm that is still in use and is still lived in by long lost family members we didn't know whe had.

When Gayle died from a ruptured Colon in 2019, I inherited all of the boxes, photos, and files on the family history. I was the unofficial family photographer and audio recorder. I photographed family members and took group photos at the annual family reunions. I also made audio recordings of various family members though out the years. I have many videos and audio recordings of my father telling me his history. I even wrote a book (unpublished yet) about Dad's three years in the AAf during World War II.

Our family no longer holds family reunions. There is simply nobody left to attend. My other sister and 1 cousin are all that is left of our family on Dad's side. None of the other cousins on Mom's side are interested in family history. Even my four children are not that interested... yet.

neighbormike, fourhallatts and jmkay1 like this.
  15. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Don, my dad is as old as you. He just went with me to pickup a pop up. Hoping that this leads us to spend some more time together.It is so easy to forget about where we are all from. Camping and long drives have always been a way to learn the lost bits...

neighbormike likes this.
  16. Grandpa Don

Funny you should mention the long drive part. Back in about 1972 I was helping move my cousin, Cousin Mikey, from Bakersfield to Newman California. I had my Grandmother on Mom's side of the family with me as I drove down Highway 99 out of Fresno. Grandma Gash was the keep of the family history. She was born in 1898. On the way south she talked and talked and talked telling me family stories. The sad thing is that I don't remember a thing she said.

neighbormike likes this.
  17. neighbormike

Perhaps, the important thing was, she had someone to tell it to :)

18. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Maybe that's the most important part of remembering; that she was there with you.

Grandpa Don likes this.