Kitchen storage

theweyhes

Apr 9, 2022
Does anyone use a Chuck box for kitchen storage?
The easily accessible storage in our PUP is limited and I’m entertaining the idea of storing all pots, pans, dishes, etc in a Chuck box - outside the camper during the day & in the car at night/bad weather.

Camping Party of 2

Nov 4, 2020
NC
I use a few Plano storage cases for that.
The top one is for tools / pegs and 550 cord etc Bottom one is for pots and pans.

Attachments

• 20210702_094158_resized.jpg
    20210702_094158_resized.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 17

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I never had one but its a great idea. Also, depending on your camper, a over the sink spring rod shelf is a the best thing I ever put in the pup.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I love the idea of a chuck box, but it isn't practical for us. I realized that I could not carry a chuck box back and forth from the vehicle to cooking area if solo.
We used flat plastic boxes through our tent and popup camping years; we still use some in the travel trailer, just smaller now that we have some cupboard space and a fridge. The larger ones we used were plastic under-bed boxes. They stacked well in all the vehicles we had. One box dedicated to "kitchen", two more for food. One larger box for oversize items too. Now we have Really Useful Boxes we use, those stack under the table for towing, on a shelf in camp. (I'm experimenting with a 3-drawer plastic stacker on the next trip, since it's a ladies' trip and my dinette space will be my friend's bed.)
The more shallow boxes are easier to locate things in than deep ones.
Once we bought our stacking Magma cookware, a decade or so ago, that had a cloth bag and stashed wherever in the vehicle we had that 1 cubic foot of space. it now has space in our bottom kitchenette cupboard.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I was considering one until I talked to someone in my Dutch oven group that has one. His weighed over 75 pounds and that was without the cast iron pot. Now it’s possible he had a smaller 8” cast iron In there I didn’t ask. I just couldn’t see myself lugging that kind of weight back and forth to the car, bearbox, or camper on a regular basis. I’ve been toying with the idea of something particularly if I’m with the Dutch oven group but storage in The popup is at a premium and camping in bear country usually means I can’t leave anything out. Anyways just wanted to give you something to think about, everyone camps differently.

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
When we camped in the tents, teardrop and Aliner, I used a Stanley Fat Max.

It was kept inside the Aliner during transport. Our kitchen equipment was organized and labeled inside the Fat Max. I had a waterproof canvas cover for it when it was left outside at camp. Sewed a simple
Cover and sprayed it with waterproofing spray. It has wheels to move easily around camp. Low enough to stand inside the Aliner with the roof down. Stands on its own and doesn’t take away space from the table. Dinnerware, Pots, pans, and cutting board went in the large bottom section. Top and middle section for cooking utensils, plastic ware, dish soap, sponges, trash bags, gloves, spices, napkins and etc.

Now we use it for DH’s tools stuff. We no longer have a need for it after going to the Darkside.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Ours is stocked w/ stuff we use on a regular basis, always put back in the box & stays, may weight 30-35 lbs. max, just grab & go; we travel light & in spartan fashion, having a 4 door short bed Taco requires improvising. I have rood rack rod holders, a 1' toolbox, & a bed mounted rack, & can carry yaks on the GO camper, can easily carry enough crap to last a month w/out overloading...

thumbnail_IMG_2808.jpg

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I use a chuckbox. I still camp with the scouts, so it does double duty when I handle grub duties for the adults. I have accumulated a number of them over the years. I do have the one posted earlier - got it at a church garage sale several years ago, along with a Dosko Camp Mate camp kitchen box. I like the Dosko more, but it is bigger and heavier, especially when loaded.

I set up a dedicated kitchen area outside with my stoves, grill and whatever else I decide to bring. The chuckbox is great if you are using a 2 burner stove to cook on top of it. These days I have a dedicated stove stand for my 3-burner stoves, so the top of the chuckbox turns into a prep area. You do have to be smart about how you load them though. I use lightweigh camping pots and skillets vs castoff home stuff.

Another option is Ridgid stacking toolboxes from Home Depot. I have a set that I have adapted for chuck duties while tent camping. The benefit of that system is you can attach them to the rolling bottom box for ease of transort, or move them singly which cuts down on the effort of moving a heavy kitchen box all at once.

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
I inherited the one Grampa built along with the old camper and the vintage dishes my parents bought with S&H Green Stamps back in the day. Pans were stored separately, but I'm looking for a skillet that will fit on the top shelf. I cleaned it out and put fresh contact paper on the shelves. Since it's just the DW and I I'll probably cut it down to just four place settings to make room for other things.
dishbox.jpg

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
I've been the chuck box route and realize I liked the design and build better than the lifting and using. Now I use a MSI table and multiple smaller plastic totes.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
I inherited the one Grampa built along with the old camper and the vintage dishes my parents bought with S&H Green Stamps back in the day. Pans were stored separately, but I'm looking for a skillet that will fit on the top shelf. I cleaned it out and put fresh contact paper on the shelves. Since it's just the DW and I I'll probably cut it down to just four place settings to make room for other things.
View attachment 82669
You won the Internet today. Great story.

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
Just got back from Easter camping. Great time fishing and fellowship with family and friends. Made Easter dinner last night. Love using my Camp Chef Ranger III. Worked like a champ all weekend when cooking for a group. Weather was windy during the day and cold at night. Having a bigger trailer was nice since there’s room inside. And finally got to use the new digital thermostat.

Only downside was DH breaking the fridge handle by accident. Going to order a new handle soon. Making a list to order refills and looking forward to another fun weekend.

I haven’t really cooked outside since going to the Darkside. I almost forgot how much table space is needed for cooking. I missed my Stanley Fat Max set up. Lots of going inside and out of the trailer. But I don’t cook for groups often.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Last edited: