Knick in wiffletree (03 SantaFe)

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by SpecialGreen, Jul 4, 2019.

1. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

There is a nick or gouge on the wiffletree screw on our 05 Coleman Santa Fe (due to insufficient lubrication).
    [EDIT]
    Turned-out that the nut that turns on the wifffletree was even worse off. We replaced the wiffletree, and it is now well greased and turning smoothly. BTW... how much grease is too much grease :) ?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

Everything is back together, but the popup door doesn't install as easily as before. Now, when I set the door down into its base cutout, the latches at the top of the door don't sit right between the brackets in the roof.
    It looks as if the roof has moved a quarter-inch towards the front, relative to the door. I can rock the door to the to the left, and then it goes in and latches OK; and then it opens and closes smoothly (for now). But it seems like maybe I didn't balance the tension quite right on the four lift-post cables.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Pictures would help, i just cant see the problem in my head.

4. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

Raining now, but I'll get pics on Friday when we get to the campsite. Basically, if I stack two nickels under one corner of the door (where it sits down into the floor), then the top of the door mates with the catches on the roof. Without the nickels, the top of the door seems to be 1/4" or more too far to the side to engage the clasps.

Since I had to remove all four cornerpost cable adjusting bolts from the wiffletree, I had expected that the four corners of the roof might not be at the same height when I got it all back together. To set the corner heights, I used a 42" dowel, and adjusted the four corner cables so that each corner holds the dowel "snugly" at the same time(*), so I thought I was "in the ballpark." It may not be perfect, but even if the roof were tilted a small bit, I wouldn't expect it to shift laterally by 1/4"+.

(*)I was putting the dowel between the gasket above, and the aluminum gasket mating surface below.

5. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

My door is slightly off at the top when setting up as well. (2008 Fleetwood Santa Fe) It has been this way since we purchased the pup 4 years ago. I have never adjusted the roof list posts....the roof is 100% level every time. I just slightly shift the top of the door frame, turn the thumb screws once the insert into the slots, and then attach the velcro for the sides. Never thought this to be an issue actually......pups are not built 100% perfect from the very start so why worry about it.

6. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

Good news! When we popped-up at the campground, the door slid right in as nicely as it ever did before replacing the wiffletree. This was a good thing, as the mosquitoes were out in force. It may have been that popping up and down settled the cable tension... or something.