Knoll Lake

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by WingmanHG, Apr 13, 2019.

1. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

I’m headed to knoll lake NE of Payson anyone already been? I’ve been told 25 miles of dirt road I’d like to know how bad it really is?

2. Garrity

Garrity Member

When are you going? I heard FR 300 is still closed in some sections due to the winter we had. The road is very well maintained once opened though. You can cruise at 40 without feeling like your vehicle is going to rattle the bolts loose (without a trailer anyway). We have tent camped at Knoll and also Bear Canyon lake. Both are really nice and the hosts have always been great. Avoid Woods Canyon if you don't like huge crowds...

3. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

We're headed up for memorial day weekend the road opens may 22. Ive been to woods canyon lake and ya very crowded. Im flad tjw road is ok BC the one to fossil creek as gone to hell in recent years i was a little nervous. Thanks I'll post photos. Im hoping it'll become our go to place to escape the heat

Garrity likes this.
  4. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

At bear canyon lake is it paved the whole way? No water kinda sucks if I’m going to be there for 4-5 days but it sounds like a good back up if knoll is full.

5. Garrity

Garrity Member

You lose pavement just past Woods Canyon lake. The dirt road is very nice though. Some small washes you'll need to slow down for if I remember correctly, but nothing sketchy even in a small tire camper. I hope you guys have a great time up there!

6. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

48EB106B-6182-413C-91E3-C2BE6CDF35AD.jpeg So knoll lake was awesome. Definitely a 10-15 mph dirt road az300 21 miles long plan on at least 1:15. The lake has ample parking but you definitely need a boat of some sort as there are no hiking trails so to make the best of the time you need to be on the water. Most sites are back in but a few are pull threw.

Garrity likes this.