KOA Sites Transform into ‘Outdoor Destinations’

Discussion in 'RV Industry & Camping Related News' started by PopUpSteve, Feb 29, 2012.

1. kpthook

kpthook New Member

Camping is what each of us make it and want it to be, whether we want to boon dock it or be in a full service camp ground, whether we want to be totally alone or on top of one another. Or somewhere in between. Doesn’t matter whether it’s a KOA, NF, NP, SP, SF, ACOE, BLM or some other alphabet soup area.

I am with those who say I am not going to think less of you because you camp at KOA or Disney or because you camp in the middle of nowhere.

I will say to those who say that “real” camping only happens when you do your thing behind a tree and don’t shower for a week is absurd.

FWIW, YES I WANT TO TAKE A SHOWER every day. I don’t want to be downwind from anyone who camps here in Florida from June through September when it’s 95+ degrees and the humidity can top at 100% and doesn’t shower for a week or even a day.

2. dfab

dfab New Member

I have stayed at 2 KOA's nice clean bathrooms grate if you have small kids no collage kids running around like banchees.KOA does a nice job.The sites had plunty of room.

3. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

See, it's this type of extreme description of anything other than "bookdocking" that we all know is just not true that gets under the skin of many. Calling someone else's idea of camping a "glorified parking lot" is just uncalled for.
    There are plenty of campgrounds that are not "glorified parking lots". There is a happy medium between that, and being 3 miles away from the next person.

In fact while some people don't want to see another person while camping, others actually enjoy being a little social with other people who enjoy their same "hobby". Campers can be (not always) some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.

See, this is what some "boondockers" don't understand. We don't want your preaching. It's like people who "preach" to you that their religion is better than the religion you choose to practice.

We all just need to support and respect one another. This forum is a community. The thing we all have in common is camping and some type of popup. Let's just support each other. I'm not here to be convinced that your way of doing things is better.

Let's all have a beverage of our choice and enjoy whatever form of camping brings you joy [CP]

4. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Great post! Especially these lines.

5. dfab

dfab New Member

I think part of the problem is that the pepole that boondock in trailers get bashed by the tenters who boondock so they have to bash the pepole that plug in, its what makes the world go round. [:D]Lets grow up pepole are you out of the house enjoying sleeping under canvase,fiberglass,wood the stars. Get out and have fun do what you want.

6. rawlus

rawlus New Member

Can't say I've seen much bashing of boondockers. They are the elite class of course, the rest of us are just wannabees in parking lots.

7. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Everything is relative. Believe me, some backpackers look down their noses at anyone with a camper, but you're right, it doesn't happen here. Most everyone at PUP either owns or is considering buying a camper, so you won't find much boondock bashing.

Climbers scoff at mere backpackers, technical climbers make fun of novices, and of course, high altitude mountaineers look down on everyone. [:D] This kind of p*ssing match has much more to do with the individual than the activity. Take a look at some of the comments from house painters slinging mud - er, paint.
    How to paint a straight ceiling line

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I think I've missed something. Can anyone point me to where in this thread any boondocker "bashed" those who plug in? I've seen a couple of posts where a couple of boondockers stated that they themselves would never dream of staying at a KOA-type place, but none where they attacked anyone for their own choice. It's one thing for a boondocker to ask why "why would I stay at such a place" when there's the great outdoors available; but attacking others for wanting hookups, playgrounds, etc. is another, and I've not seen that in this thread.

If I've missed something in this thread, I apologize.

(I like boondocking and I like uncrowded campgrounds with hookups at times, too.)

9. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Okay, so first, check the plate, it will explain a bit about us:
    [​IMG]

We prefer, hands down, to boondock. That said, we have a 10 day coming in July and we have a site at KOA Flagstaff for two days there and back, and six days in Panguitch, UT KOA. This trip is for us to visit the various state and national parks in Utah. Places like KOA have their place in the line. We travel with a three year old, and I will be out with my pregnant wife on this trip. A boondock for that long is too much for her to handle, especially in a place that she is not familiar with. Is it optimal, no, but it has hot showers, electric without carrying generators and fuel, plenty of activities for our daughter, and close enough to town to give a (false) sense of security to my wife. I would much rather be out in some BLM or NPS land, but happy wife = happy life. We will spend that time out in the park and basically use the trailer as a home base.

Being a now fairly well seasoned boondocker I do not enjoy "trailer park camping", but given the choice of no camping or KOA, I'll take a KOA all day.

10. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Apology accepted! [:D]

11. dfab

dfab New Member

Travelhoveler my [:D] is not working well. I am not taking this to hart , when I made the statements A: I was just joking around & B: I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. :)

12. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

That sentiment right is true of just about everything and certainly fits our current political discourse even better than our camping discourse!

And yet I have to say a few of these campgrounds we've stopped at really are just glorified parking lots. The one we stopped at in RI last year, I think it was Fisherman's Memorial, was just one pull through after another with almost no trees to be seen anywhere. Definitely not my idea of camping but it's a very popular campground so it obviously works for a lot of people. Like most things in life, everything is a compromise and maybe some of these places aren't ideal but then all get the job done. We have friends that will ONLY stay in KOAs because they pretty much know what they are going to get and they want all the extra stuff to keep the kids happy. We need bath houses and at least a couple things for the kids to do as well as OTHER KIDS. Boondocking is in our future but it won't be for more than a night or two and then off to a REAL campground..... [:D]

13. sturedman

sturedman New Member

After many, many years of tent camping and backpacking with the BSA, I love the luxury of pup camping, and having electric. Too me, it is still camping. Unlike the big motor homes that park around me, we don't spend much time in the pup other than sleeping. But, I love being able to brew a pot of coffee now :). I consider primitive camp outs in tents, in any weather ( we did 12 a year lol), boon-docking. So, yes, I have done it plenty, and still will on occasion, but my experience with KOA has always been you know what you are getting, and a lot of times, that's exactly what I want. All the way back in the 70's they were great, and I think they still are. I have used a few on long trips with the family. Some of them are a good base camp for a few days of exploring the area. Too me, just getting away from the house and the city falls under the category of "camping". It's a broad term, and means different things to different people. I love to camp. If it's one night in a KOA, or a week on some BLM land somewhere, I enjoy it all the same.

14. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Re: KOA Sites Transform into ‘Outdoor Destinations’

Whoaaaaa! Hey, I think things are getting a bit blown out of proportion here [:!] . Maybe "preach" was a bad choice of words, but I was responding to the "evangelist" comment. Sorry, but I simply enjoy the vast awesomeness of our national forests and like sharing those experiences with others.

Look, when I read threads chalked full of complaints about camping fees, noisy neighbors, the neighbors dogs/kids, music being played too loudly, obnoxious partiers, people cutting through sites, endless generator noise, etc, etc, etc.....I feel compelled to let people know there are other options out there. I read this stuff all the time, and I can't help but wonder why everyone just keeps going back for more. "Aaarrggg....they raised the CG fees at my favorite CG again......aaaarrrrggg." If you told me you had a headache and I told you to take an asprin, would that be preaching? Or would that simply be a potential remedy for your affliction :) ?

And no, its not just boondocking. I boondock a lot (and yes, I shower [:O] if it's more than just a couple days....we do have an outdoor shower on the p'up)....but I also camp at SPs, NPs, and forest service CGs, none of which are boondocking.....all of which are, as a rule, far cheaper and less crowded than private CGs....many of which also have hookups available.

I'm not adverse to hookups. I have no qualms using a CGs 30 amp service and water, particularly on longer trips. That said, I see no reason to be tethered to them every time I want to get out and camp. If I was, I would miss out on a lot of great stuff. As I stated earlier, I will be staying two nights at the Durango KOA this fall.....with hookups! Guess I should flogg myself then. [:D]

And again, I'm sorry.....but around here, "private CG" is code for "RV Park." I've never seen an RV Park that wasn't a parking lot with one pull through after the other....ergo, a glorified parking lot. Do what's best for you and your family....enjoy yourself, relax and have a good time; that's what it's all about. But if you tell me you have a headache, I'm still going to tell you to take an asprin :).

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I think camping is fine anywhere as long as you are parked on grass or gravel ! The KOA type cg serves a purpose as does the NFS cg but then again so does the walmart parking lot.The differences between them define their purpose. One thing i've noticed though...many on here have been posting about using KOA for one night stops...How? Every KOA I have tried to book for a one nighter has a two night stay minimum ! are you booking in person?

16. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Re: KOA Sites Transform into ‘Outdoor Destinations’

As much as I like to debate - I can't argue with a single word of that

17. rawlus

rawlus New Member

There is not much boondocking opportunity in southern new England, there are, thankfully, a pretty wide variety of private campgrounds that run the range from primitive stream side sites to RV resort style pull-throughs. Even in a large RV resort, it's often possible to find more dispersed sites designed for tents and popups and they are often located away from the 5th wheels and class A's. I cannot speak to the rest of the country, but around here, private CG does not always equal RV Resort. In fact it typically does not in my experience. I have been to a few private cgs where you may never see a Class A or 5er. One I go to is predominantly tents.

We have state parks but not much in the way of national parks except Acadia. No BLM land, there is some National Forest in ME, Vt, and NH but many have established campgrounds and dispersed camping is often limited...And because opportunities are few, these SP campgrounds can be just as full as a private CG and share may of the potential problem issues.

Not making excuses but people need to recognize that it may not be as easy up here to just hook up and drive into nowhere for a week long respite. Outside of very northern new England, the rest of the area is fairly densely developed/populated. In MA there is nt a single place in the entire state where I can legally drive my equipped jeep off-road.

As to the vast beauty of the wilderness. That is certainly one possible reason someone might go camping, even a reason to seek out dispersed, secluded areas and I can appreciate that. However, it is one of a variety of reasons one might camp, and vast wilderness beauty may not top everyone's list of priorities. Child activities may be important to families, access to other attractions, facilities, proximity to home, handicap concerns, there are hundreds of reasons why someone might choose to go campng and I'd just ask the vast natural beauty folks to recognize that nobody here is unaware of vast natural beauty, it's just not the be all, end all for everyone every time.

When people are posting here, they aren't always looking for aspirin/alternatives. They may be looking for contextual feedback from others who have shared similar experiences. If all you do is dispersed camping, then you may be inexperienced to offer any value to them and instead inadverdently degrade their choice of camping and promote what you know and love instead.

18. tjcamp

tjcamp New Member

There are many different views on camping and styles of camping. I grew up with camping being our only family vacation source. Didn't have the luxury of hotels & resorts, but my parents tried to make it as enjoyable and comfortable as possible, while still giving us a camping experience. We had pop ups and later used tents also as we had many overnight guest visits. We went to many places, mostly when I was too young to remember them, but ended up camping @ Assateague SP for 2 weeks every July, since I was in diapers. It was a destination vacation, and we loved being there, it's a nice balance of camping and has about the minimum amount of amenities that I'll ever want to camp with. I'm not one to boon dock or go back packing, I still like my vacation to have some level of luxury s/a a nice clean bathroom facility with hot/cold water options. Those are the conditions I experienced and I enjoy it at that level. An added bonus for me is electric, I don't care about water hook-ups atm with our pup, since we have no water heater, but someday if we get a camper (pu, htt, or tt) and it has one, I'd like to try water hook-ups. Maybe, I'm somewhat of a glamper, and I would enjoy rv resorts, haven't really been to one yet, I may some day to get the experience, but they're a bit pricey and I could probably stay in some hotels in some places for cheaper, lol (which I don't mind either). For now though, I mostly enjoy SP camping or basic campgrounds.

19. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have never had a problem staying for only one night at a KOA. But then again we were traveling out west and maybe the rules are different then popular destinations???

20. AZbubs

AZbubs Member

Burnzee, I have been on the forum for about a year, and I disagree with you. I have not felt any disrespect from boondockers, hooker-uppers, KOAers, tenters, etc. We have normally gone to campgrounds with hook-ups, but we also went to the Arizona Rally which was boondocking. I found the veterans to be very helpful and understanding; willing to show us the ropes, so to speak.

Maybe this is a Pollyanna approach, but everyone should do whatever suits them. As long as no one is hurting anyone else and they are enjoying it. . . . . .