1. tim kinser

tim kinser New Member

So the popup is almost ready...so are we. We have always camped at state parks and one called longs retreat. 90 percent was tent camping and occasionally a cabin. This is our first trip in the popup. I searched koa and found zero results. So my question is with 4 kids would you reccomend koa? Why or why not.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Most KOA campgrounds are very kid friendly with pools, playgrounds, ect.

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I would continue to go where you have enjoyed. No reason not to enjoy camping the way you always just because you got a camper.

kcsa75, gladecreekwy and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Depends on what you want from the campground. KOAs are kid friendly and depending on what "level" the KOA is, the experience will vary. The "Journey" KOAs are really designed for quick overnight stops. They usually have a pool, not much else. The "Holiday" KOAs offer a bit more in the way of things/activities. The full gambit would be a "Resort" level KOA, these will have alot more kid stuff along with the higher price tag. Most KOAs are like a parking lot - close sites with all the campers next to each other all in a row. The biggest issue i have with KOAs is that they often charge for the site based on two people and charge extra for kids (that is not family friendly)....

If you are not into these kinds of things, stick with the state parks.

FWIW: We camp mostly at state parks, we like them and they offer what we want in a camping experience at a reasonable price. When we are traveling and doing the tourist thing - we will use KOAs despite my dislike of the pricing scheme - as they serve as a good base from which to explore an area - but then we are not "camping".

gladecreekwy and crackerJack like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would go with the full hook ups . And with what your comfortable with. The reson to upgrade from tent camping is the hook ups for me. Kids are hard enough to manage, make it a bit easier on yourself. Its a vacation after all. No idea about koa, but people like them ,kid freindly and stuff to do. Depending if the kids have been tent camping also , and the duration of the stay , ill opt for the full hook ups. Ill teach my 7 yo in time, about the conservation of water etc. ( i only have one kid) if you have 4 and there younger i would make it easiest for you. All about the comfort level for them , and you. The idea is what is enjoyable for you guys , so its your call. Have fun!

1380ken likes this.
  6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

To each his/her own but a KOA sounds awful to me. I camp to connect with nature. My kids fish, collect bugs and rocks and generally explore. I dont see the need for entertainment or hookups. I would also never pay to camp but I’m lucky where we live that’s its not an issue

kcsa75, Dan Wilson and Toedtoes like this.
  7. Sjm9911

How old are you kids now? I figure my daughter at 7 is better prepared for this. 6 wasnt great. We will see this year.

8. gladecreekwy

Asking me or the OP?

9. Sjm9911

Sorry, you.

10. Sjm9911

I figure it depends on the kid(s) . My daughter doesn't like public bathrooms, toilets, having your own can go a long way. As i said, comfort level, lol. Everyone has there own , and that might go far in making it a vacation or disaster.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Let's put it this way I would prefer a state park and be more out of the way. However when my little side kick was younger, under 10, I needed activity's that would appease her. I was pretty safe with a pool and decent playground but that only lasted so long. She loved the resort places where there were lots of other kids around, kid activity's, etc. I hated the price tag, the closeness of other campers and the one that always bothered me, the number of drunks or inconsiderate people. However she was happy and I didn't have to listen to, her complaints every couple of minutes. Hiking and kayaking were fine for a few minunets for her but she became too tired or more like bored. Only you know your kids to answer your question. Are your kids happy and content at state parks? If so continue with what you do. Maybe as a special treat for them take them to a resort type place, but beware they are always a mad house, parking lot and little done in regards to drunks etc. Thankfully my side kick is 15 now and she appreciates the state parks more, now I just got to deal with her typical teenage I'm all mightier than you mouth.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. gladecreekwy

My daughter is 14 and my son is 7. We have been taking them camping since they were months old. Our camping is mostly three day long weekends. They both like to fish and we always camp on a stream or river. No internet or cell service were we camp and they have never had any electronics camping. Our campers are designed to function without hookups, all you need is a couple of batteries and solar panel. Our pup has a hand pump sink, heater and stove and that’s it. All depends on what kind of experience you’re looking for.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We stop at KOA (or other private campgrounds) on road trips when nothing else is available or when we need to get caught up on laundry, showers, and email after being out in the boonies for awhile. Some are better than others, but much like fast food restaurants, you know what to expect......and expensive is one of the things to expect. I don't like the parking lot atmosphere, but the facilities are clean.

silvermickey2002 and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Sjm9911

They key is you have 2 ! They have compony! All good! As jmkay said , other kids for them to play with for me is a godsend. But it depends on the kid. What works for one doesn't nessassarly work for the other. Man , i would live to get my daughter to fish! ( i even have 2 mini slide out poles , not there yet, but hopeing)

15. Toedtoes

I remember camping trips as a kid. We had a truck camper. Parents and three girls.

My Mom stayed in camp and read. My dad fished. We explored. I don't remember ever being bored. Our favorite was a little lake that had bullfrogs. We would hunt for pollywogs and bullfrogs. The lake was small enough that we could walk around it in about an hour. We searched out bugs and such too.

I'm glad my parents didn't go the easy route. I loved those trips!

Sjm9911 and gladecreekwy like this.
  16. Toedtoes

SJM - my parents often brought our neighbor friend with us. She was my older sibling's age, but was happy to let me and the youngest tag along (6 years' difference between the oldest and youngest) and didn't let my older sibling mess with us.

We also brought other friends as we got older. My parents gladly brought more of us if it kept us busy and let them do their thing. But my parents never "entertained" us - if we were bored, my mom would tell us to read a book. It was up to us to find something to do.

With an only child, I would bring a friend whenever possible.

Sjm9911 and gladecreekwy like this.
  17. gladecreekwy

6D5DBE27-C1CC-44C6-88F3-8575F50FEEF2.jpeg C686D754-708E-41D7-8D6C-761B76375503.jpeg
    Don’t give up.

kcsa75, Toedtoes and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. tim kinser

tim kinser New Member

Thanks for all the replies. The koa website itself is steering me away. When you go to reserve a site it gives you an estimated price? No way I am giving my card info for an estimate. Tell me how much it's going to be upfront. My kids are 15, 12, 10 and 7. The 10 yr old is the only girl. The boys tend to keep themselves occupied and the girl requires a bit more of our help to keep from getting bored. When I said we camped I meant my wife and I before kids. Been awhile since we have camped. I think we will stick with state parks ad try American Electric Power REcreation lands for one night and see how boondocking goes....thanks again

gladecreekwy and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For us (no kids), KOAs serve a very good purpose, mostly as overnight stops on the way to somewhere else interesting. We started using them over a decade ago, and have stayed in the cabins, tents, pups, and TT. A friend and I love staying in one of the deluxe cabins when we made a winter trip to Tucson to visit friends there. Most of our destinations are public campgrounds, such as state and national parks, USFS CGs, so we still experience a wide variety of places.
    The reservation system is a bit interesting until you get used to is, as with many others (I'm still trying to cope with the "upgraded recreation dot gov). Estimated amount is usually as you look at the types of sites available. Most only charge the first night for a deposit at reservation time. At check-out, taxes, etc. get added, discount for the KOA "kard" is subtracted. I think there are some that have other add-on charges, since they are a franchise they don't all charge the same amount.
    [We've had the kard for years, we use KOAs just enough most years to earn by the cost with the discounts. Some years, I get enough points to save $$ off a stay every now and again. It's not easy to use it for reserved one night stays, though. I finally earned enough points to take me to a second level of membership so that I didn't have to pay the $10 penalty when I had to cancel an overnight stop for next week.]

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Just google campgrounds in your area, no need to focus on KOAs.