1. Mazauk75

Mazauk75 Member

Does anyone have feedback, good or bad, on KAO campgrounds and weither or not their membership is worth the cost? I Prefer state parks, as I get a discount for being a disabled veteran, but though KOA would be a good go-to place, especially for 1 night stays on long trips.

2. UDcampermom

UDcampermom New Member

We have stayed at several KOA campgrounds and found them to be very nice! We have only stayed in the cabins though because we didn't have a camper. Now, though, we can book a campsite! :)

3. Pnyglfr

Pnyglfr New Member

We have stayed at KOA campground many times. The park is very nice and staff are the best. I also purchase a members card. I get discount on my stays and points as well.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have had a KOA "Kamper's Kard" for years. Most years, the discount for a campsite just about pays for it, not counting the points earned for stays, which results in $$ off after so many points accrued.
    Since KOAs are a franchise, they can range from wonderful to pretty bad -though the couple we've encountered that were really bad were not KOAs the next season. There are still a few in the system that we are aware of, including one we camped in last fall, that we will not be using again, but there are SP and other campgrounds that we won't stay at due to atmosphere, etc.
    KOA is now acknowledging the difference in types of campgrounds - for instance, ones designated "Journey" tend to be those nearest major highways, and used mostly for stops, not stays.
    We've been camping for over 25 years, and public campgrounds (state and national parks, USFS, etc.) remain our preferred destination. However, after a long time of totally ignoring KOAs, we discovered that they fill a good niche for us. We have stayed in them in ground tents, in their cabins, and in both pups and (now) our small TT.
    A couple of major reasons we use KOAs are for an overnight stop on the road or as a base while visiting in an area where a public campground is not available. For instance, the KOA in Flagstaff is a routine stop for us as we travel to/from North Rim of Grand Canyon, Zion, and other things in that section of the 4 Corners states.
    Since we're not really interested in activities presented by a campground, or other resort-type activities, KOAs and other private campgrounds are not usually our actual destination.

KOAs seem to be one of those things that people love to hate and slam, even more so than private campgrounds in general. YMMV, but for us, they are another item in our collection of camping "supplies".

ETA for bad typing!

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

KOA as in Keep On Adding?

They are expensive but often offer more amenities than other campgrounds. A KOA may have a lot of activities to offer families with children but nothing of value for my wife and I.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

On a road trip, we will do a quick overnight at a KOA if a public campground isn't available. For us, it's a convenience, not a destination. We don't stay there often enough to make the card worthwhile. They tend to be expensive, so we take advantage of laundry, wifi and other facilities. KOA shows up on our GPS system, so they are easy for us to find...usually just as it is getting dark after long hours on the road!

On our 6 week road trip last fall, we spent 3 nights in KOA: Buffalo WY, Mitchell SD, and Montpelier ID. Buffalo was great and the cheapest of the three. They put us away from the big rigs, in a section with more space between sites and a new showerhouse. Thumbs up on this one!

Mitchell is an older KOA, but well tended. Montpelier was very new and branded as a 'Journey'. It was the most expensive of the three, but we had driven farther than planned and were happy to find it still open in October.

7. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

KOA campgrounds are generally the only campgrounds we stay at so the member card more than pays for itself. Like others have said, some are better than others. We have gone to ones where the owners go out of their way to plan activities for the kids and ensure that their facilities are top notch. Others seem to do the bare minimum.

One word of caution, do not go by the award system that KOA gives to to campgrounds as a means of judging the quality. I have seen the President's Award given to campgrounds that were top notch and others that are not even close in comparison. It seems pretty loose in how they judge. I go by the online reviews that most have when you look up a specific one.

It all depends on the experience you are looking for. If you are a back to nature, peace and quiet type, then I don't think KOA's are for you.

8. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

I've said before, KOA's are kind of like the McDonald's of campgrounds. While not the greatest of experiences, they're usually a dependable, "known quality" and convenient. Their online reservation system makes it easy to find KOA's along your route, preview the types of spaces available and the cost, and book your spot in advance.

We have our KOA Kamper Klub membership, and, like Kitphantom, use it mostly for en route layovers. When we went to Utah last year to visit my in-laws, though, we stayed several nights in a KOA near their hometown, as the weekend we went was already sold-out in the state and forest service campgrounds anywhere nearby.

Again, like McDonald's, for families with children, KOA is often a nice choice, as most KOA's offer playgrounds and other recreational activities geared towards families.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree with the previous posters as it depends on your camping style, if you have young kids and what you like to do. I have a love hate relationship with KOAs. They can be convenient to interstates, towns etc. Most of the ones I have stayed at have a million and one things for kids however have a hefty price tag with it. I have had more problem with noise at KOA's so only go if I want to do something very special for my sidekick and expect nothing for myself. Although i may get WiFi So I can be on here while my side kick is dragging me to the 101 things she wants to play. :) i don't go on long distance trips so have no need for one night stays. I myself prefer to hike, and kayak. My side kick likes a pool. I can find these at some state parks and don't have to pay a hefty fee.

10. gruss

gruss Active Member

just do the math on the rewards if you're going to be there a lot it worth it...some are nice some aren't

They also have a deal if you stay during the week you can get the 4th day free, since we don't stay often enough scheduling for the free day makes more sense for us than the discount card, we'd rather hit the state parks normally but KOA serves a purpose if you want a pool and activities for kids and stuff.

11. Mazauk75

Mazauk75 Member

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. Just like many of you I was looking at KOA as a go to when everything else was booked or as an en-route hotel of sorts. As a family, we prefer the state parks or private places like www.enota.com (We've camped in the primitive/tent area there a couple times. Very nice staff, cool petting zoo/farm, and organic community garden) or Www.campersinn.net (We'll be going there in 2 weeks for the first time because St Andrews park was already completly booked up). I guess I'll be going online and getting a KOA Kard in the next few days. Thanks again!

12. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

in addition to the previous comments, it is good there are large corporations making money in the RV industry for all of us (this includes KOA).
    They provide convenience and resources, and Veteran discounts!

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When traveling cross country we stay at KOAs for those one nighters. Have had a KOA member card for 8 years now and it pays for itself. Only had one bad KOA and it is no longer a KOA (Buffalo, WY).