Kuat Sherpa 2 Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Biking' started by niagarafam, Feb 12, 2015.

1. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Anyone have a Kuat Sherpa, know about them, or can recommend or reject them as a good choice for a bike rack? They are a bit "spendy," but they look and feel very substantial in the bike shop. We will be using a front mount 2"receiver.
    M&K

2. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

After much research and debate, we've ordered the Kuat Sherpa. It came down to weight. We were also seriously considering the Yakima Hold Up. The Yakima weighs 49lbs., and the Kuat weighs 29lbs. Both had pros and cons, and both are expensive. We wanted a substantial unit for the long haul.

We picked up our bikes today! We are excited. Now we have to get in shape to ride them. We took our maiden voyage to a local bike path, and we both felt it. We hope to spend a week at Desoto State Park when school gets out. Chattanooga is a short drive from the park; our plan is to bike Chattanooga for a couple of the days, so we need to get in better shape. Our big goal is St. George Island next Christmas! And then we are excited to bring the bikes on our next cross country trek, likely back to Santa Fe and AZ, maybe to Martin's dad again in San Diego, too. After that, we plan on taking them on the rest of our bucket list destinations.
    M&K

3. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Picked up the Sherpa today. I haven't been able to really appreciate it yet since it's freezing outside. It looks cool on the Ram. I have it on the rear now. I will get the front receiver ordered and installed asap. We will need it when we're hooked up with the pup. The Sherpa looks and feels like quality.

More later.
    Martin

4. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Got the Sherpa on the rear receiver this weekend and took the bikes out for a spin. It works super. We ordered the front receiver and hope to put it on before our 4/1 camping trip.

5. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

I am a sherpa and Thule dealer. I usually prefer Thule product but that sherpa is a really nice piece of equipment. It should give you years of great service. And thats from a guy who has been selling Thule for 25 years. Enjoy

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Yes, we really like the Thule and Yakima products. In the end we went with the Kuat Sherpa for its weight advantage. I think all three companies are producing decent products. We are still loving our rack and front mount receiver (when towing the PUP).