KY- Baily's Point Campround (Near Mammoth Caves)

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by Sharon, May 19, 2013.

1. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I have 2 spots booked at Baily's point for June 29-July 1. We reserved online, but im wondering. Do you check in at the so called "Fee Station" right in front of the campground on 517 (Baily's Point Rd) or do you have to check in at the actual given address building at 11088 Finney road, Glasgow, Ky.

Im trying to get our mapped out directions all set for the GPS for our large group and need to know which one to put on the list.

Thanks, Sharon

2. dlstover

dlstover New Member

Check in is right on 517 as it ends at the campground. Beautiful campground. Some excellent views from camp

3. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation.

Sharon

4. whitmw

whitmw New Member

Ok, I have been to 3 campgrounds so far this summer in Kentucky. The first was the KOA camp ground in South Louisville. Nice campground but very crowded. It borders a subdivision on one side and the second story of some of the houses look down into the campground. Lots of activities for the kids though and a nice pool. Very pet friendly also.

The next trip was Conley Bottom on Lake Cumberland. This is a privately owned campground and was first come, first servered. Not very crowded and the lots were a pretty good size, however this place has been used quite a bit over many years and it really shows the wear. Not a whole lot of upkeep going on.
    The third is Cumberland Falls SP. Not a big campground and some of the spots are a little small, especially for the larger 5th wheels that were coming in, but we still had a good time and enjoyed it pretty well. Another problem is the upkeep. The state really needs to update the facilities, especially the showers. Old, small and in need of some deep cleaning. The location is really great to the falls and we were lucky enough to be the to see the moonbow. Great pool and horseback riding. We are going back there in the future.

In 2 weeks, Twin Knobs at Cave Run Lake. [PU]

5. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

We got back from our trip to Baily's point two weeks ago yesterday. I havent had time to do a post review yet, but will as soon as I can.

Sharon

6. jlkingsurveyor

jlkingsurveyor New Member

We went to Bailey's Point last weekend with our neighbors. We had site A15. I have to say that after 15 years of serious camping, this might be the quietest campground I've ever stayed in. I think the orientation of the sites along the outside of A-loop may have been the major factor in the quietness.

I loved the lake views and access to the water from the campground. A lot of people with boats just tied them up to the banks.

Also, being a geologist, I was amazed at the amount of fossils we found along the lakeshore in the natural rock (not riprap) around A-loop. Mostly crinoids, but there were some nice whole pieces that had weathered out of the rocks.

Reviews are usually skewed toward the negative because people who have a good experience don't usually take the time to write a positive note. So I made sure I found time to recommend this place to anyone looking to spend some time in cave country. In fact I loved it so much here, that I made it my favorite campground in my profile.

7. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

We too loved this place. We were traveling from Florida to this camp ground as our layover on our way to Iowa then Oklahoma, then Texas and back home to Florida. . When we got close we called to see when we could check in and they allowed us to check in early as we were traveling a long distance so we didnt have to wait for the 4:30 check in.

We were on Loop E in spots 25 and 26 both at the bottom of the loop on the water. So our view was to die for. The park was so packed. Not a empty spot weekend of June 29 -July 1

We loved this park and would consider going there again.

But, have to tell you what we did not like about the part. The placement of the wash house at the top of the loop. Which is at the top of a very steep hill. Was really hard for several in our party ( me disabled and MIL 70 and FIL 80) to get up the hill to the bathroom. So we had to resort to all getting in our truck several times during the day and also at night to go to the restroom and showers. Proper placement of the wash house should of been in the middle of the loop for all to access easier. Just my opinion.

Also because of the steep hill, All the spots faced downward. And man, there were a lot of unique leveling tactics used. We seen some backs of travel trailers hanging off the clif of their site. Lots of things used like buckets, car batteries and other things used to help level the front hitch upward.

We went to Mammoth caves and Makers Mark distillery while there. We really enjoyed it here. But make sure you book several months in advance. We booked in Feb for our trip in June and we were lucky to get 2 of the 5 spots left.

We used our Access pass to get half off per night. Also make note to stop in Scottsville for food before you get to the camp ground.

Sharon