KY - Camp Carlson - Ft. Knox

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by omit, Jul 11, 2009.

1. omit

omit New Member

I am taking my scout troop to Ft. Knox to tour and have some fun - tank simulators & MRE's. Can anyone give me info concerning Camp Carlson and their experience there recently?

2. omit

omit New Member

Got back Sunday from spending 4 days, 3 nights at Camp Carlson. Campground is for active or retired military - or any scouting organization. (I took 19 scouts) Campground was nice - bathrooms EXCELLENT! Best I have ever seen. Campground takes no reservations (bummer)

Scouts camped in youth tent area, fished in lake, hung out by campfire at campground. We also took scouts to Ft. Knox and they got a tour - Stryker & Tank simulators (several got to try driving a stryker vehicle simulator) then to rappeling tower to watch 1st week recruits, then to old barracks (where Elvis lived) to watch a "mission" with a group of recruits in their final week. Drill Sargent was excellent and took the boys around and explained what soldiers were doing as they were moving along (soldiers used paintball guns - so of course my scouts wanted to play...) Scouts then had MRE's for lunch.

We also took scouts to water park on base, bowling, and to the Patton museum.

Scouts met some retired Calvary veterns that were having a reunion at the campsite next to us (we gave them firewood, breakfast, and an extra chicken that we cooked) and also a active miliatry Army wife that was relocating from Ft. Hood to Ft. Knox with 2 kids, 4 cats, 1 dog) - and had to spend the weekend in the campground as she didn't have housing yet.

I know there are several scout leaders out there on this forum. Ft. Knox is good trip for the scouts. I can give more details. Campground was okay - but I would prefer to stay at State run Campground, instead of govt run.. too many rules...

3. traindude

traindude ORYGUN

Sounds like you had a great time. As far as the campground never been there but I have been all over the rest of the post. Spent way to much time there.I was stationed there for 3 yrs.so i guess you can say I camped there but I had to try to sleep though the tanks on fireing there big guns.

4. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Sounds like quiet an experience.................glad y'all had a good trip, omit!