KY - Cumberland Falls St Pk, KOA Corbin

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by NegrilJerry, May 30, 2016.

1. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Just returned from epic (for us) trip - 4 campsites in 9 days, GA-->OH and back.

Cumberland Falls State Park:
    Camping here is kind of an afterthought; the core focus is the falls and the lodge. Mainly the lodge. Our site was not level, which was not hard to fix. The shared utilities were located on the other side of the dividing fence between our site and the one next door, with the water a good 12 ft or so on the other side - our setup was dictated by the limit of our elec and water connections. I guess I'll stash and additional length of hose and 20A rated drop cable in Poppy, but doubt I'll ever need it.
    Arrived around 6p, clueless staff at lodge told us to go to the "only" campsite area (sign there says Campground #2) and register at grocery. Grocery closed of course, which they should have known. Having been there once before (cabin) we recalled campsites across the road, where the sign ONLY says Pavilion/Pool.
    Especially not recommended for larger pups, put a fork in it for large TT / RV. Falls are incredible, though, and we had a good lake day up at Laurel River Lake by the dam.

KOA Corbin KY, just off I-75:
    Reviewers on Yelp/Tripadvisor actually gave this negatives for being close enough to the interstate so you can hear traffic - um, yeah, that's what you get with the convenience of being right off the highway. A VERY well managed campsite, great bathroom/shower facilities, pool, clubhouse etc. No more crowded than many state parks. Very family focused but OK for retirees too. Ask for Ed the mngr, great young fellow. Perfect 1-night stopover for us, and we'd go back.

2. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Oh yeah, forgot this one - OK, we have those large 3-prong RV type plugs for electric, right? The ones that look like a laundry washer 220V except they're for 110V. Well, at Cumberland Falls St Pk you better have your adapter for (grounded) household plugs, because that's all there is. I grabbed mine as an afterthought - never needed it before. We would have have a serious food cooling problem otherwise.

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

We camped in that smaller "Campground 2" aka "Cliffy Campground" behind the pool when I was a kid and loved it. So quiet. Whenever I get around to taking my son there I hope to get a site in that section.

As a note for the electric hookup, the section you were in only has 20A hookup, but the main campground (Ridgeline Campground) has the typical 30A hookups at the RV sites. That's where the bigger rigs would fit.

4. JbirdsChick

JbirdsChick One Big Bird, his Chick, and 2 Hatchlings

Thanks for the review.