LA Bogue Chitto - March 13-15, 2015

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by mckeapc67, Mar 4, 2015.

1. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Made reservations for next weekend at Bogue Chitto State Park in Franklinton, LA. We've stayed there before (last year) and am looking forward to our first outing this year.

If any of you PUP members are out there, stop by and say hello. We'll be in the upper campground, site #40 (near the bath house & play area).

Hoping the weather is nice and the rain's over by then.

2. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

OK this isn't even funny. It's still raining and will probably be through at least the morning on Friday.

I'm sure the river is going to be up and flooding. Glad we booked the upper campground away from the river.

I'm hoping that the rain will clear out by noon Friday so that we don't have to set up in the rain in the afternoon. It does still look like Saturday and Sunday should be OK with only slight chances of rain.

Keeping our fingers crossed.

3. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

I feel your pain! We are leaving tomorrow to go camping here near Houston, and it's raining today with 80% tomorrow. The weekend is supposed to be good though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Weekend was great!!

Other than rain on Friday which had dissipated to scattered small showers by early afternoon when we got to the campground. I did the set-up between showers. By mid afternoon, the sun actually came out.

Saturday & Sunday were pleasant weather and no rain. See, finger crossing works. [;)] [:D]

The only issue we had was insect larvae raining from the trees (saw flies). I didn't bring the screen room for over the picnic table so, we just had to deal with it or eat under the PUP awning.

I did make a list of the items that I want to get/replace for the PUP that would make life nicer or replace stuff that has migrated or been lost.
    • Replace the Screen Room / Tend with an EZ-up and add it to the camping check-list.
    • Get an electric skillet for when we're camping with hookups. Just a convenience rather than the cast-iron and camp stove for when electricity is available.
    • Replace the hatchet that my DS "borrowed" and broke the handle.
    • Restock some camping stuff including propane canisters & fire starters.
    • Update the camping checklist to add some items that we regularly bring, but forgot this trip (re: screen tent, crock pot, etc.)
    • Consider updating the dog tie-outs / runs. Carabiners work great to clip leashes to the runs; but, the cheap ones I had in my box don't hold up very well.

Overall, a great weekend outing. Ready to go again real soon. Wonder if next weekend is available?? [:P]

5. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Here are a couple pics from our weekend trip:

Keep an eye out for us if you ever are up there or at any of the other nearby LA & MS State Parks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]