LA - Tickfaw State Park

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by mckeapc67, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Camped at Tickfaw State Park (Springfield, LA) last weekend.

We've tent camped there quite a few times; but, this was our first trip there with the PUP.

This state park has separate Tent and RV loops.

There are 30 "improved" RV campsites with water and electric (50/30/15). The driveways are asphalt, long, and level. Most of the sites are shady and have wooden decks on the door side of the camper. There is also lots of space between sites; so, you are definitely not right on top of your neighbors.

There are 20 "unimproved" tent sites with water only. If you have a smallish PUP, you could probably use one of the tent sites. The driveways are kinda short; so, there's not much space for a PUP and TV.

The bath house is a close walk between the two loops and is very clean. It also includes a laundry room and vending/phone room.

Tickfaw State Park has a number of hiking trails, canoeing, a small wet park for the kids, playground, a fishing pond, and a nature center. The only drawback to the park from my perspective is that it is pretty spread out; so, make sure you have your walking shoes or be prepared to drive between the areas. For example, the playground and water park area is quite a ways from the camping area (but it is right near the cabins).

Anyone in the area, passing through, or just wanting a quiet park for camping should check out Tickfaw State Park. Hey, you may even see us there. :)

2. skysummit

skysummit Member

We live about 20 minutes away from the park and went there 2 weeks ago for the very first time. We didn't camp though...just spent the day and looked around. Nice campground. There was no one in the tent loops, but the camper area seemed pretty full. The kids spent a couple hours in the splash park and then we walked through the nature center, which I must say is pretty nice and informative. After that, we took the nature walk behind the nature center which was also nice. Temperatures were pretty warm though, in the middle 90's so the flying insects were pretty aggressive. With it being so close to home, I see us going there many more times. Can't wait to visit it in the winter.

3. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Where do you live (city / area)? My sister and brother live in Albany and my wife's parents live in Independence. I grew up in Greensburg and currently live in Slidell.

Maybe we'll see you around some time.

4. skysummit

skysummit Member

Oh wow....never even saw this reply, and it's probably way too late now, but I'll respond anyway. I live in Ponchatoula. My inlaws live in Independence.

5. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

I'm way late with a reply too.

- My inlaws are in Independence too. Small world.
    - Sister in law & her family is in Ponchatoula (Lee's Landing).

6. rtavious

rtavious New Member

Im in french Settlenment.. Ive been tent camping there a few times.

7. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

We live 30 minutes from Tickfaw State Park and we camped there for the first time this weekend. It is a quiet, very peaceful state park. There were lots of families in large 5th wheel campers on the RV loop. Lots of kids riding bikes. The parking is very clean and well maintained. We camped near the bath house which is very clean and they have a nice, free laundry room. I would get up early and go for a bike ride through the park and it was very nice and quiet. We will definitely be going back.