Labor Day Weekend 2014 Bastrop KOA

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by phoodieman, Sep 1, 2014.

1. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I didn't make any early reservations for the Labor Day weekend so I had to settle for a KOA. I wanted to test out my duo 5K BTU AC set up. Did it ever get a test. The official weather temp for Saturday was 102.6. Humidity was high too. I wasn't set up for an hour on Friday when a big storm came through. It rained hard for at least 30 minutes. Not a leak one I am happy to report. It was just rolling in here as you can see the thunder clouds.

[​IMG]

My total of 10K BTU held up though. I even got a nap in on Saturday evening as hot as it was. The campground was right next to a major highway as you can see from the first pic. There were two or three other pop ups there. Jaycos and Starcrafts. A lot of the fivers were set up there in what looked like a permanent residence. I had regular visitors that I served up bread to.

[​IMG]

Did some BBQing in the hot outside. Between that, fishing the Colorado, getting in some reading, and walking the dogs I stayed busy. The new shower toilet combo worked perfectly. And with the AC keeping me cozy it wasn't a bad trip. KOA's tend to stack them deep but I have to admit they are very well maintained, clean, and orderly. Wifi works decent too. I prefer the state and federal route though but when you snooze you loose.

Phoodieman

2. kmaxxxx

kmaxxxx New Member

Sounds like a perfect trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mrclortho

mrclortho New Member

Did the fire from a few years back get near that campground? The State Park there still looks terrible compared to what it was before the fires. I camped there a few months ago and not planning on returning for at least a decade.

4. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

The fire was east of this campground and missed this KOA altogether. BSP was decimated. %96 of it was destroyed. I agree, it will be at least another ten years before it returns. Their is South Shore...the fire missed it.

Phoodieman