Lack of secure security?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by jackquontee, Mar 27, 2020.

1. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

Recently I purchased a pretty sturdy dual battery box. I had had one before but it was hit and damaged severely enough that I disposed of it.
    After installing its replacement I realized I still had the keys from the original box and, as it is human nature to do, I had to satisfy my curiosity. I grabbed the spare keys and, wouldn't you know it, they opened the new box.
    I assumed that every box shipped with a new set of keys. Evidently not. Or, is it just a coincidence that I would get an exact copy of the keys I had previously?

Also, as I have a pair of propane cylinders I would like to protect (to the extent that I can) I bought this lock
    IMG_1512.JPG
    I can't help but think that anyone with enough time (and I don't think it would take much time) and a pair of pliers could easily back the threaded rod out of the base mount while at the same time screwing it up into the lock enough to be able to remove the cross bars which secure the tanks in place. I'd like to think I'm wrong but what say you?

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

About 25% of other campers have the same key as your camper as well.
    I wouldnt worry about the propane holder but I dont have the nice lightweight carbon fiber ones like you.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Quite a few keys are interchangeable. Once I was camping and my camping neighbor
    had somehow lock his keys in his unit, I tried my key and even tho we had different units mad be different companies, my key unlocked his unit, he was dumbfounded that this could happen, I told him that I actually worked on RV's and one style key fit quite a few different brands of units. A PUP is really easy, just open the canvas by the door and reach in and open the door. Just remember that most people that camp and enjoy the outdoors are honest ans will not steal from others however
    there are as , always some that are not honest and nothing is 100% safe.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If someone really wants it, they will find a way to take it. Anything you can add as an obstacle can slow some down and make them look elsewhere.

HappyTraveler and WVhillbilly like this.
  5. jackquontee

I've read in years' past that campers share the same keys. I wasn't expecting that to be the case with the battery box, nor did I expect to buy a "lock" and find that I might be able to screw the rod right out of the thing.

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Most locks are visual deterrents for the quick smash and grab. If a thief really wants it, a lock won’t stop them. A pair of bolt cutters from Harbor Freight will defeat many locks, you can pick up a really good battery powered cutoff tool from any hardware store, among other things. The ones who make thieving a living have ways to defeat so many locks and deterrents within seconds that it would blow your mind.

I think the biggest risk is when you have it parked at home, or at storage. Most campgrounds are frequented by honest campers. However, campgrounds that are closer to metropolitan areas may have a greater risk of opportunistic thieves that come in for the day and prowl the sites.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Tool boxes, truck caps, key lock boxes, all share similar keys.. many of those keys will open trailers..

HappyTraveler likes this.
  8. jackquontee

I
    I've always understood this to be the case but was also always under the impression that every so often locks are re-keyed so as to create SOME differences. It's a little concerning that everyone who has the same battery box I have could theoretically have the same set of keys I have, too.

9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

If you're worried about the rod being unscrewed just weld the nut to it.
    Just a tack weld is all you need.
    As for the battery box, find a good fab shop and have them build you an aluminum box that you can put a disc lock in.

This may seem expensive, but it will probably be the cost of a pair of new batteries.
    Bolt it in place, tack weld the nuts on the bolts and be done with it.

Bottom line, as SJM said, if someone wants it bad enough they'll get it.
    Just make it hard for them. If they have to do a lot of work or make a lot of noise then they will probably look elsewhere.

Whitney Hubert likes this.
  10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I was thinking about Aliner security if the TV was NOT around. Make hole in Aliner roof(s?), matching hole in floor, fabricate a pipe with a welded steel disk one end, and a floating steel disk with hole for pipe hole, and a thru-hole for fancy padlock in other end. Close up Aliner and from above the hole in the roof drop the pipe thing thru Aliner, roof and floor holes with disk end butting on to the roof. Crawl under floor and install floating disk and then the padlock.That should deter most thieves - and me!

Goforit likes this.
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

When you set up, how are you dealing with the holes in the roof?

12. WVhillbilly

Duct tape.

Indiobravo, BBQdave and bheff like this.
  13. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Sounds like you live / camp in rough areas.

14. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, in AH’s defense, he had heard some amazingly played banjo music on his last outing. “Aintry, this river don’t go to Aintry!” (Jon Voight to Burt Reynolds as they are flying down a dirt road in his IH) “Lewis, I hope you have good insurance!” “Insurance? I don’t believe in insurance... there’s no risk!”
    (To Ned Beaty) “Squeal like a...”
    So, yeh, rough area to be sure. [EEK]

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Mom was telling me a story as she got out of a shopping center, she got into a car and turned the engine on when she discovered it wasn’t her car. Now grant you this was before computer chip keys etc. still scary to think about that someone could be carrying the same exact car keys. In talking with a RV dealer he told me that on Fleetwoods there were only two type of keys ever made. Anyway like others mentioned locks are really only designed to keep an honest person honest. Crooks who really want something can get through any lock if he has the right tools. I knew a poor furniture shop owner that was located in a bad part of town. Sadly his delivery truck was broken into so many times he ended up using the biggest chain and lock known to man, that looked impenetrable, but someone still managed to get in. Ultimately the poor shop owner claimed defeat. They spent a fortune on rekeying everything on a weekly basis. Not to mention the lost inventory.

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  16. WVhillbilly

Here at a few permanent campgrounds RVs will get broken into over the off season.
    Recently it's not breaking in to steal the contents, it's cutting a hole in the side of the camper with an ax.
    Then steal the appliances out of it, and scrap them. [:(!]

Destroy a camper, for a few dollars in scrap.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  17. jackquontee

Honestly, I get that nothing is impenetrable. I don't expect that I'm going to keep anyone from stealing my stuff if they really want it, but hope to discourage the lazy thief from putting in the effort to try and steal my stuff. That's not what's bothering me. Knowing that I received a duplicate set of keys (and that many others out there who have the same box have the same keys) to the battery box that I had purchased 4 years previously makes me now question why I even bothered spending the $300+ dollars on the thing.

18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You can replace the lock. I do get what your saying, were not saying its right. Its just what they do. That includes tool boxes, mail box locks etc. Hell , even reguler house locks are this way. You would be surprised how many things are keyed the same. When i was younger i replaced the locks on 5 apratments in a house i owned. I didnt know they had key codes on the backs of the packages. All the locks were in diffrent packages but keyed the same. I only relized it when setting up the master keyring.

jackquontee likes this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

20. jackquontee