Lackawanna State Park July 18 & 19 2018

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by DJS12354, Aug 3, 2018.

1. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Joy and I took our Grandson, Jakob on his first camping trip and chose Lackawanna for its' close proximity to home, pool and splash pad ($4 admission for campers. We were on site 23 in the Carpenter Town loop. We had power at the site, but no water.
    Our site was level and only issues with backing in were: My lack of skill and a slight dip at the entrance to the site. I had to jump out of the truck and raise the jack a few turns higher.
    Restrooms were clean and modern, nice hot water available.
    Picnic table was in good shape. We have found moss-covered tables as some state parks.
    Ranger patrols were frequent, which, along with mid-week stay made for quiet camping. Rangers are polite and helpful if you have questions.
    There is a boat launch with dock for ease of getting in and out of boat. Cement ramp and 2 boats wide. Fishing can be very good.
    Hiking trails are available for use.
    Boat rentals are available.
    There were organized events on weekends, but we did not see any mid-week events.
    There is a snack bar at the pool area, but no "camp store".
    Mid-week arrivals may find the booth at campground entrance unmanned. Signage advises that people with prepaid reservations may go to their sites and set up at 3:00 pm. There is a list of open/reserved sites and forms to indicate which site you have taken if you don't have a reservation. Signage regarding this is a little confusing.
    Some things to do in the area include: Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour and Anthracite Museum, Steamtown National Historic Site (Great for railroad buffs) and water slides at Montage Mountain.

Edit: Added link to park's website http://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/LackawannaStatePark/Pages/default.aspx

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

sounds like quite the CG and has a little for everything except water. I bet Jacob loved it and is ready for the next trip. Sounds like everyone had a good time. Thanks for sharing and Keep On Camping

DJS12354 likes this.