Lake Hartwell SP

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by BillyMc, Jul 11, 2019.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Don't see a review of this CG, but we are looking forward to checking it out Labor Day weekend. We have a lake front site next to a cabin. I haven't actually had a lake front site in decades and looking forward to it. Will get some pictures and leave a review when we get back home.
    Lake Hartwell State Park

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. BillyMc

Well we're home and had a great time. Overall it's a nice state park. There was a vacant host site on our loop this trip that I think may have been the only vacant site. The staff did a fair job keeping up until Monday (Labor Day) when seams like half the people knew they where leaving and just got nasty. The mens was bad, but from the descriptions from DW and DQT, I'm kind of glad I'm not the one cleaning the womens.
    With the park so full I really didn't get to examine the other site very well, but ours was long and narrow as was the neighboring sites. There was a "camper cabin" on out curb side. The people staying in it seemed nice and spoke to us a couple times. They said it was a basic room with a full bed and a set of bunk beds. They have electric and AC with a water spigot outside. The site to our road side was occupied by a rather large TT. The narrow site and trees prohibited them from deploying their awning. Most sites, including waterfront sites, don't have direct access to the water with many of the waterfront sites have very steep to even vertical shoreline. The camper cabins to the site next to us had pretty good access to the water with a sandy beach. These four sites were plagued all weekend with families asking if they could pass through to swim. Except for the occasional kid that dropped a bike in the path and ran to the water there wasn't much issues. The park could easily fix this problem. While wading and fishing I discovered another sandy beach that was not accessible due to a vertical 6-8 foot bank surrounding it. A couple days work on a backhoe could cut a foot path through an area unsuitable for campsites. The people on sites without access to the water would have a place to go and the other campers wouldn't have to be the Grinch or put up with people constantly wanting to cross their site. I know that we could have turned them away or complained to the Ranger and stopped them, but putting myself in there shoes I know I would like access to the lake when camping at the lake. I lay the blame for this problem on the people that run the park.
    Bottom line.
    Would I camp there again? Certainly.
    On a weekend? Doubtfully
    On a holiday? As a last resort, maybe.

William Freeman likes this.
  3. William Freeman

William Freeman Active Member

We will be heading up to the Clemson and/or Walhalla area soon if we can get a site. I love that area in the fall! Never been to Lake Hartwell sp though. We stayed at several campgrounds around there back when we had our RV so that my wife and in laws could go to the games. Now you can't get a reservation anywhere close to Clemson on game weekends! I have been camping in the Walhalla area since the 70s - the old tent camping days. Oconee sp is my favorite up there.

4. BillyMc

The oldest grandson stayed at Oconee the prior weekend with the scouts. When we visited Oconee Station he said "I've been here" they also hiked to Station Cove Falls.