Lake of the Ozarks SP - Osage Beach/Kaiser, MO

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by VonValterstein, Oct 14, 2014.

1. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

We just returned home from our 4 day/3night trip to the Lake of the Ozarks State Park in Kaiser, MO.
    We came from Tulsa, OK so it was a straight shot up 44 all the way to Lebanon, then we went north and east about another hour or so to get to Osage Beach, MO. We went a bit too far since our directions weren't really clear on where to exit, and there was no signage telling us to exit.... but once we were off the highway it was very easy to find the park. There are a bunch of sites in the park that I liked after going around looking at them... as a whole the park is shady, wooded, clean, and there is decent spacing in between sites, some more than others.

Lake of the Ozarks is a beautiful park, very large with lots of land to roam.
    We had site #48 Reserved for a few months. It is a wooded pull through site that is pretty far from other campers, with only one real neighboring site, which we like. Across the road from the site was a large grassy area (great place to walk the dogs), and the bathhouse (not too close, but not too far!). The bathhouse was CLEAN and very nice in my opinion. The water wasn't too warm - but hey, I am camping - what do I expect?!? [:D]
    The one thing I didn't love about the site is the slope down to the fire ring and picnic table from the pull through. It was a pretty good sized slope and makes it more difficult to set things up and go between the camper and the fire ring. My husband really liked the site and wasn't bothered by the slope, especially since it rained almost the entire time so we didn't spend any time down by the campfire, we mostly stayed in the camper and under the awning.

[{}=] As I said, it rained almost our entire trip. We drove through storms getting there on Thursday, the rain let up just as we were getting into town... we set up, and it began raining again and didn't stop until late Friday night. The highs were in the 50's and 60's, so it was a wee bit chilly in addition to wet and nasty... but we made the best of it by spending quality game time staying warm in the camper, and set up our kitchen under the awning for our meals.
    We did find a few minor leaks with all the rain that we had... We were not able to pin point an exact spot that was leaking though [:(] The air conditioner had drips coming from it, so we are going to check the seal there. Also the rail for the valance in the front bunk seemed to have water coming out of it and it soaked the valance and curtain below it (and my friends shoe!) - so we have some more leak investigating to do. We got to use the furnace for the first time - and it worked wonderfully and kept us nice and cozy!

They have a camp store at the front of the campground and it has the basics you might run out of or need. Firewood is $4 a bundle at the camp store, but the bundles are pretty small and you would probably need 3 bundles to have a fire for one evening =(

Overall we had a great time, despite the weather. We saw deer, foxes, turkeys, and lots of birds and squirrels of course! My dogs were in nature heaven!!

Into the storm
    [​IMG]
    Our condensed setup
    [​IMG]
    Walking the dogs around our site
    [​IMG]
    View up from the bottom of the site
    [​IMG]
    Breakfast!!!
    [​IMG]
    Walking down to the dock
    [​IMG]
    What was happening most of the trip
    [​IMG]
    View from the camper door
    [​IMG]
    Overall we had a great trip!
    [​IMG]

2. CampQuinn

CampQuinn New Member

Glad you had a good trip despite the rain! This park is on my list!

3. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

It is a great park - I would definitely go back in a heartbeat! There are plenty of good spots with lots of space. Some spots are reserveable, some are same day only, and there are good spots in both categories!

4. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Sweet, one of our favs.. We try to hit LOSP at least 2 times a year.. usually around labor day and again in aug...It can be quite cool if you are in section 4 down by the water... Sometime the wind coming off the water is pretty cool.. the swinm beach area is really nice also...Hope you ll make it back there... [:)C]

5. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

We did like a few of the sites in section 4 by the water! We tend to like more secluded sites with not a lot of close-by neighbors, that is why we chose #48... but after driving around there were quite a few down in section 4 that would fit our desires =)

6. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

Dang, I just realized when I organized my photobucket photos it screwed them up here.
    My bad.... :( I can repost if anyone wants me to.

7. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Yes please repost. Would love to see them!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

8. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

Well since I am avoiding work and have nothing better to do.... I will repost pictures from above. [:D]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View from our camper door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

[​IMG]
    This was happening most of the trip, since it was cold and rainy. They aren't spoiled a bit
    [​IMG]

10. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

They've got it made!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk