Lake Powhatan CG Asheville

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by speckhunter80, Jul 5, 2016.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

ASHEVILLE, NC-------Lake Powhatan Recreation Area CG
    Park is operated by Cradle of Forestry and can be reserved thru Recreation.gov Campground has 85 sites in 4 different loops. There are 24 sites with electricity and 19 of those are listed as RV Electric which means they are full hook up sites with 20/30/50 power, water and sewer connection.
    Very nice CG with heavy forest canopy and good vegetation between sites. Potential campers MUST pay attention to the site sizes to avoid getting small site. Get the right site for your style of camping an you are sure to have a good time. Even though it was a holiday weekend(4th of July) and full it was fairly quiet prior to 11:00pm and then completely quiet afterwards. Great volunteers and hosts. Hosts actively patrol but never saw anyone hassled. Disappointed when we first got there and found that 21 sites had to share a bathhouse with only 2 unisex commodes and 2 unisex showers but it was never an issue except on the morning we wanted to leave and the host decided to close the bathrooms to clean from 8:00-8:30 delaying our departure home by 30 minutes or so. Bathrooms were handicap wheelchair accesible with at least 2 handicap sites in each loop. Only saw 5 sites that were questionable. Site 84 and 97 were not the best sites in the "Hardtimes" loop. In the "Bent Creek" loop 22 and 24 were least favorite and in the "Lakeside" loop 36A would not be my top choice as it is close to the dumpster. Again, in general the sites were great. We got site 55 which was a full hookup site and had room for a 8'x8' dome tent and my 25' open Coleman Bayside Elite plus my large pickup and the in-laws Honda Oddysey. Just be aware of site size if you reserve a site. Not all sites are reservable.
    Plenty of trails in and around the CG and also a lake with a lifeguard for swimming. Note: no flotation devices can be used in the lake. Lots of things to see and do in and around the town of Asheville. The NC Arboretum is less then 5 miles away as is the Western NC Agricultural Farmers Market. Both are great places to visit. The Blue Ridge Parkway is also less then 5 miles away. On one day we drove the Parkway to Mt. Pisgah CG and then got off on 276 and visited Sliding Rock, Looking Glass Falls, Davidson River CG and Mills River CG.
    This is defintely a campground we would return to. Only issue is the 7plus hour drive to get to it.

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Glad you liked it, sorry I didn't get by for a quick visit.

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Speckhunter, I'm not sure you noticed it or not but you can actually take a short trail to the NC Arboretum from Lake Powhatan campground . You go right through the gate and access the grounds without having to pay the fee. Unfortunately I didn't realize this until after I drove into the arboretum paid the fee and then walked back to the campground through that same gate. Just throwing that out there for the next guy....

4. speckhunter80

Yeah, we found out after paying for parking

5. jumpoff

7 hour drive for you and the same for me.....and I'm down here in Florida. But like you I definitely want to go back and not just because of the campground but it's location and the nearness to other fun things to do. We stayed at site 38. I would definitely request that one next time. I agree with you about the rest rooms and showers. We were there in March, the showers would only stay on for a couple minutes. It made bathing an adventure during the cold weather at the time. Sounds like you had a great time.

6. BillBlackett

BillBlackett Member

I just stayed at Lake Powhatan last weekend in Big John Loop, site #21.

The Good:

- Close to downtown Asheville! From our campsite to the sign that says "Welcome to Downtown Asheville" was 18 minutes.
    - Right next to the NC Arboretum. I did not know about the trail. Will have to explore that option next time.
    - Spacious campsites. Of the three Asheville area campgrounds I've been to, this one definitely has the most tree coverage, and the most space between campsties.
    - Level campsites. Although they've made sure to keep a lot of tree coverage, the majority of sites are well groomed.
    - Appears to be very popular amongst Mountain Bikers. I don't have an off road bike anymore, but if I get another one, I'm definitely going back to ride some trails there.
    - Very clean restrooms. Although we were delayed due to cleaning one day as well.

The Not So Good:
    - The Lake is kind of neat, but IMHO: it is not in and of itself a reason to visit this campground.
    - Not much to do for young kids. Most places we stay at have a playground and other things to do.

Conclusion:
    I've stayed at both the KOA East Asheville and KOA West Asheville. My kids like KOA East Asheville the best so far.

If you're looking for a quiet weekend in the woods, or want a base camp to explore Asheville, this is a great spot.

I would definitely stay at this campground again!

7. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

We are planning on heading to asheville sept 30-oct 3rd and have considered staying here however, there is no availability. Anyone knows how hard is to get the walk in sites?

Thanks!

8. yetavon

We have never reserved a sight there, Talked to them in the evening to check availability, and showed up early in the morning. You may our may not get a power site. and I'm off that weekend too......

9. jumpoff

If I couldn't get a spot at Lake Powhatan my second choice close to Asheville would be http://www.campfirelodgings.com/.

Check out their website. I did a drive through and I loved it.

10. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Well Darin, I let you know once they plans are solid.
    Jumpoff, thanks for the info, I do need one or two backup plans.

Waiting on the wife to get a clear from her work so I can put this one in the book...

Thanks y'all!!!

11. speckhunter80

12. jumpoff

I'd like to try out Davidson River myself but the reason I said campfirelodgings is because it is as near to Asheville as Lake Powhatan.

13. speckhunter80

Campfire lodgings is a little to expensive for me [:D] [8D]

14. jumpoff

I agree it is expensive but they have a million dollar view and really nice bath and shower facilities.

15. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

anyone knows if at&t has service at the campground? i am planning to drop there on thursday instead of friday and work from there... but if I do not have signal then im in trouble...

16. yetavon

Not sure of ATT but Verizon has worked there if your not down a hole.
    Are you here this weekend?

17. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Plan is to go tomorrow, try to get one of those non-reservable sites then if I have signal there I can vpn and work from there OR if there is no signal I have a choice of either drive back to charlotte or get a cheapo motel in asheville until I am off the clock then drive back to the campground. We are both off friday but we are just trying to get a site thursday that way we dont have to worry about getting there on friday and all the sites been gone already. It is a good thing I can work from any where but I do need to be able to vpn and receive calls.
    If we cant get a site on thursday then we know the likelihood for a site on friday is over with and we can drive straight to Smokemont then...
    We have been trying quite a few times to contact the campground to make sure the wife can get in, she will make it there past 11 pm but no answer so far...
    If we knew we could get a site on friday we would not be doing all this....

18. jumpoff

Good luck Nandy. I have T Mobile. When I go to NC mountains I might as well just leave my cell phone at home.

19. speckhunter80

Verizon worked for the wife and I over 4th of July. Worked even better at the Farmers Market 3 miles down the road. My in-laws did not work at the campground. I think they have At&T

20. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

thanks.