Lake Trout

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Econ, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Active Member

A brief article said that 25% of the Trout in the world was in Ontario. They are a cold water fish.

Ok. Only the U.S. Federal government thru the Forest Service would build a 110 acre lake in the Deep South and stock it with Rainbow trout. None of the local fishing centers know how to fish for lake trout. A couple have traveled out of state to go river trout fishing.

I have only been fishing once in 55 years. That wasnt fishing either. A vendor took me to a catfish farm where the fish hadn't been fed in a couple days. It took about 20 minutes to fil an ice chest. Children were involved.

Any suggestions for bait and rig? Help

Thanks

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Not really sure what you are asking. Lake trout, river trout, catfishing????
    FWIW: there are plenty of lakes In Arkansas with lake trout.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Several lakes in our area are stocked with Rainbows and Browns, usually in late October and again in Feb/March. Conventional wisdom says they don't make it through the summer, but from time to time somebody catches a monster. A couple years ago, a guy got his picture in the paper after landing a 13-pound rainbow.

Some guys use flies. I like Rooster Tails or night crawlers. If you choose worms, put a split shot about a foot to 18 inches up from the hook. Then get a hypodermic syringe and needle and shoot some air into the worm. This will suspend the worm above the bottom where the trout are.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Trout like spinners. If you want to bobber fish, use corn and keep the bait on the bottom of the lake.

This should help:

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Corn works on a small hook.. with a bobber.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

WV does a good job of stocking lakes and streams, starting January thru end of May.. With the majority being stocked weekly. There will also be a fall stocking with a lot of brooders stocked.
    Bait depends on the location and time of year. On the ice its jigs and power bait to spinners in the streams

7. Overland

Overland Active Member

I grew up fishing for put and take hatchery trout every April and October, but typically catch and release. My favorite method is ultra light rod and reel with 2lb test, a small split shot, small bobber and a live minnow.

Years later i'm on a lake camping in Maine's North Woods, having zero luck with spinning gear. I notice the water looking like a boil near dusk.. I realized it's the first hatch i'v ever witnessed. Next morning I head into town searching for a fly fishing setup for my son and I.. later that evening he's hooking his first fish on a fly.. he's been hooked since.

bheff likes this.
  8. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Fly fishing can be the most rewarding or frustrating way of fishing ever!! Lol.
    If sport fishing or just enjoying the day we will fly fish. (Arkansas and Missouri have some world class trout rivers)
    If freezer fishing (stocking the freezer) we will use ultralight rods and powerbait under a split shot.

Jwwiff, kcsa75 and Overland like this.
  9. Jwwiff

Jwwiff New Member

I am just coming back from some of the best trout fishing in the south - Arkansas on the Norfolk and White rivers. There is a hatchery that raises brown, rainbow, brook, and cutthroats and they stock the river at Norfolk and White and areas all around. The water used for the hatchery comes from behind the dam. If you want to see lots of trout (and are <16 or handicapped), you can fish artificial, no barb, catch-and-release in Dry Run Creek and get trout from 15” on up to in excess of 10 lbs. The creek is only 10-20’ wide, water is clear, and if you look sharp you will see trout every 2-3’ spaced throughout the creek.

For all others, you can fish the Norfolk or White either from the shore or on a float boat. Excellent trout fishing by fly or other artificial lures or natural bait.

Having been raised on an excellent trout river in Wisconsin (Rush River), the Norfolk and White are as good as it comes. Be prepared to meet lots of other fishers as well on the rivers. It is popular.

bheff and kcsa75 like this.
  10. Econ

Econ Active Member

Thank you for the replies. You will have to overlook me as I have been ill for the last 2 weeks with the prospects of this going on for another 4 weeks. Hence, the frequent visits to this portal. Post more, the entertainment is appreciated.<GG>

The catfishing story was to emphasize my limited fishing experience. Children don't like to go fishing, they like to go catching, so a vendor of mine arranged a visit to a catfish farm. If you ever get an opportunity to go to a farm, GO. You probably have heard the expression "shooting fish in a barrel"? It ain't as difficult as that. Took two icechests full of freezer fish home. Got home and nailed them to trees and got the vice grips out. Catfish bait? Chicken livers.

It is noted that several of the respondents are from the Arctic provinces of PA, Wis, etc. And there are some sub arctic states like Mo and Ark. One of the things that is desirable about the mountains of Western NC is the summer lows stay in the 50's/low 60's. Altitude controls average temperature.

This Forest Service campground is < 400' MSL. Expected lows in summer of >80*F with high humidity so they put trout in the lake. The reviews all complain about not catching anything. All the campsites are on the lake with communal water and luke warm showers for $6 if you have an old goat pass. Thought I would go down there and experiment when the solar project is finished and I recovered.

Keep the trout fishing tips coming in!

Jwwiff likes this.
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

For the Acronym Page update.
    <GG>- ??
    This Forest Service campground is < 400' MSL. MSL- ???

12. Econ

Econ Active Member

<GG> means grin. I'm smiling when this is stated. It means get a sense of humor.

MSL. Standard aviation/weather term. Mean sea level. I live at 550'(above)MSL. Average sea level. MSL is different from AGL (Above Ground level)

13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member