Lake Whales area. Campgrounds.

Discussion in 'Florida' started by vagov, Feb 28, 2021.

1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I will be in the Lake Whales area. Beginning of May and want to scout out local campgrounds. Either. Private. Or state park. Any recommend?

2. Cgdcinc

Cgdcinc New Member

Go to South West Florida Water Management District web site or South Florida Water Management District . Look under Recreation/Camping on both sites. Great free boondocking campsites by reservation. Lake Kissimee State Park is very nice with hook ups, but a little bit of a ride to Lake Wales.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I asked on the dis boards, since a lot are in that area, ill report back if i get any good info.

4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Ok thanks, I too was looking at lake Kissimmee. But def look at boon docking areas as well

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Ok. So I’m down here in Central Florida. Now. Staying. at daughters apartment just outside. Lake whales. (Not camping) But I decided to take a ride over to lake Kissimmee. State park today., as I am planning a return trip in the fall , hopefully with the camper . the campground is nice, big sites for the most Part, electric boxes all looked rather new and updated, the bathhouses. Are very nice for a state park, it has a washer and dryers on site as well. It basically has roughly 60 sites, didn’t notice if it was true full hookup, as I don’t recall seeing. Sewer , however it may have , I parked and took a quick look around site 37. As it was vacant and my wife needed to use the bathroom,Only a short walkway away.
    Walked one of the hiking trails. A good way back, saw. Two wild turkeys, and a sand crane . Strolled down to the boat launch area. It was rather small, they had. A couple of kayaks sitting beside the docks that I assume you can rent, however the snack shack, Or whatever they called it was currently closed, being Mothers Day Sunday. Saw one small gator along the waters edge, looks like there’s a small canal that you paddle out to more open water,,but didn’t. Actually see a lake , didn’t investigate it further. Only spent about a hour here today, as the women wanted to ride over to Bok Towers to see flowers, Not much else directly around the area , but overall I give the campground a rating of 7/10. It would be a good overnight layover, or quick weekend spot. In my opinion. About. A 30 minute drive from my daughters place off route 27 before you get into lake whales . Will try looking at a few others for comparison. Before I head back home north. Given the time. . That’s my review…..

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Eating breakfast now in Sebring florida , then going to scout out Highland Hammocks SP. for comparison

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Spent. 3 hours at Highland Hammock. SP. The park itself is absolutely beautiful , but the campground. At Lake Kissimmee is. More secluded , and more to my liking. I will post a review of my thoughts on Highland Hammock Under it’s own thread .