Lake Whittaker Conservation Area

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by dfury7, May 16, 2014.

1. dfury7

dfury7 Member

Lake Whittaker Conservation Area

Lake Whittaker is a decent sized Conservation Area about 30 minutes outside London Ontario (close to the hamlet of Harrietsville).

It is a nice little spot which gives you a nice feeling of being out in the great outdoors without having to drive a long distance. It has two main camping areas - Lakewood and Pool Side.

Lakewood as the name suggests is down by the man-made Lake which features nice fishing, and despite being man made has been around for many years and looks very well established and "natural". The camping here is not for the faint of heart as the sites of muddy, very uneven and a haven for ravenous mosquitoes.

Poolside consists of more open grassy plots located near to a beautiful washroom facility and great swimming pool. There are some seasonal folks who live in the park during the Summer, but they are all very friendly and welcoming.

Sites all have water and power hookups and the sites can be booked online. While we do prefer the provincial parks , Lake Whittaker is a nice standby if we decide to do an impromptu camping trip on a Friday night.

2. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Wonderful review dfury7! Thanks for your interpretation of Lake Whittaker! We've never been and tend to stick to provincial parks but are looking to "broaden our horizons", you might say!

London area isn't that far so we may just have to book there. Thanks so much!

Melissa

3. missybb

missybb New Member

We were out and about and dropped by Lake Whittaker last summer. We wanted to check out the campsites while we were in the area. We stopped by the registration desk and told them we just happened upon the place while out geocaching and wanted to check out the sites so we could book one. They would NOT let us in the park! They wanted a day rate for all four of us just to take a peek at the camp site areas.

I have dropped by plenty of campgrounds in our time and asked to take a look at sites so we would know which ones we would like to book in the future (and we have always returned after taking a look at a campground - many times 10 or 15 nights of camping!) and have never, ever, been refused entry let alone charged a day rate to see a site.

All in all, the service we received here was pretty bad. We definitely will NOT be camping here.

4. dfury7

dfury7 Member

Very sorry to hear you had a bad experience with their staff... I am not affiliated with LW, but I can say the staff have always been great to us, and very helpful.

I can totally understand after that you wouldn't want to camp there. We have reduced our visits to once a year, as quite honestly the Provincial Parks are so much more scenic and to our tastes. Plus you can see the sites online before you book.

Lake Whittaker and Dalewood (both part of Kettle Creek) are for us better used as a "last minute" type camping destination.

5. shawnba

shawnba Shitters full!!!

Hello Everyone.....

I am sorry that you had that bad experience at Lake Whittaker. I have camped there for many years and never had that happen. I have asked to go in to check out sites and they have had no problems. My issue with Lake Whittaker is that the pool is way out of the way. Bonus is that it is handicap accessible. Overall it is a good camping experience.