Lambs resort north shore Lake Superior

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Asupremepop, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Asupremepop

Asupremepop Member

Anyone ever stay there? Any recommendations? We’re going in August for a week. Waterfall tour.
    Any other kid friendly places out there?

tenttrailer likes this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We did the eastern part of the peninsula last summer. Had a great time, lots of driving. Have a great time the Great Lakes are wonderful.

3. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Almost stayed there once because all state parks were full. Then a site at a state park opened up. State parks are always more wooded and spacious than private resorts.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I've never stayed there but I do drive past Lamb's a couple times a year on my way to Canada. I have occasionally thought about staying there myself and recently have checked them out on the internet. From my investigations, for the most part, it has good (not great) reviews. Many reviews have a common theme that the sites are close together.

HERE are some other reviews I've found. (Click on the "90 Reviews" to see all reviews.)

From what I can tell, it sounds kind of like a KOA.

I'll be following this thread to see if there are any first hand accounts!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  5. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

I have stayed there a half dozen times or so. Here is my take:

Management has always been exceedingly kind and respectful.
    Some sites are pretty close together.
    Some sites have lake views, some partial, some not at all. The sites on the lake always seem to be reserved well in advance.
    Some sites are more wooded than others.
    Lots to walk and see, short walk to cross river falls and around to father Baraga's cross.
    They have an ok shower house that I found I didn't complain about.
    They have a cool little bakery place.
    Didn't see any pools or kid specific attractions but there is tons for kids to explore.
    I've never had an issue camping here, this is one of my preferred spots for when I have friends along that don't like to rough it as much.

If you want to go remote you can head north into the superior national forest and find endless places to boondock.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  6. Asupremepop

Asupremepop Member

Thank you all for the info very informative.
    Carguy very helpfull firsthand experience thank you.
    Although I personally would love boondocking I learned long ago that the wife is not into roughing it at all. She doesn’t mind tenting as long as there are proper facilities. So we don’t even equip our pup with a battery or propane.
    I am finding that most places we go the best sites are always booked even calling 6 months in advance. One time we just winged it and left for 4 days with no reservations and got the best site at the place we went. (Big storm came through the night b4 and scared everyone off apparently)
    But we don’t make a habit of that.
    Thank again everyone for the comments.

FARfetched likes this.
  7. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

And don't forget Grand Marais, it's roughly a 30 minute drive, but a great place to go shopping and grab something to eat. It may be worth a half day or so to take the family up from Tofte to check it out. It's a gorgeous place with lots to see.

8. Asupremepop

Asupremepop Member

Most definitely Grand Marais! We’ll be spending a week along the north shore so plenty of time for sights. Anyone spend any time at the Lutzen mtn area in the summer? Is it worth going there?
    Any other areas nearby along the waterfalls route worthy of a visit?

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have skied at Lutsen a half dozen times but in the summer, I only stop there to eat lunch on the way to our Canada fishing destination. They have an alpine slide but I have never tried it. Sorry I don't have more information on Lutsen.

If you want a real adventure and are willing to travel 35 miles north of Grand Marais, Grand Portage State Park is less than a mile from the Canadian Border. This is the only Minnesota State Park that is FREE (you don't need a park pass but there is no camping). At the park, there is paved hiking path about a mile long that leads to a waterfall on the Pigeon River. Canada is on the other side of the river. You can skip a rock into Canada (I've done it). There is a second set of waterfalls if you want to hike another three miles from the first waterfall.

It is about 70 miles from Lamb's to Grand Portage State Park, but by far the most scenic section of the North Shore.

If you have your passports, you can continue into Canada and head 45 minutes to either Thunder Bay or Kakabeka Falls. Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park has a VERY large water fall (hence the name). It is nicknamed "Niagara of the North". It isn't nearly as large as Niagara, but it is none the less, very impressive. The town of Kakabeka Falls is a quaint little town.

You could easily visit both in a single day if you wanted to burn the entire day.

Oh, yeah! Before you get to the state park, don't forget to stop at Ryden's Border Store (on the US side) if you need gas, need to exchange some US dollars for Canadian dollars or want to spend some money on their tourist trap goods. They do have some good souvenirs there and GREAT jerky. They have good exchange rates and MUCH cheaper gas than in Canada.

I travel up the North Shore twice a summer. Once to camp near the border and once to fish in Canada. I have been up and down the North Shore dozens of times in my life. I am in awe of its beauty every time I take the drive. There is nothing else like it anywhere.

Have a great time on your trip!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Amybejo likes this.
  10. Asupremepop

Asupremepop Member

Yes we will be headed all the way up to the border. No plans to go into Canada though. So many people with so many suggestions. Keep em coming. Can’t wait to see the kids trying to skip rocks to Canada. Thank you

BikeNFish likes this.
  11. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

12. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

If you're in upper Michigan, pull into any place that has "PASTIES" up on the building to get your supper. The mines there opened up as the Cornwall tin mines petered out, and the Cornish miners brought pasties with them. You won't find too many places outside of England and northern Michigan that serve pasties, which is a blankety-blank pity.

About 12 years ago, the family got cottages on Platte Lake, near Sleeping Bear Dunes, for a vacation. Wife and I were driving around for some reason, and she pointed at a place and said, "What's that word?"

"PASTIES!" I screamed. "Pull in!!!" I had no clue there would be a pasty shack that far south. We bought enough for everyone, because it was our night to feed the extended family, and it was a hit.

Maybe ask the management where to find good pasties. They probably know. (It's pronounced with a short A, by the way, not paste-tys.)

Somewhere, I have a recipe. Now I need to make some.

13. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I stayed at Lamb's resort once, had an awesome time but didn't see much of it. Had literally just sold my cabin up north and arrived with only a)tent b) sleeping pad &bag c) little Smokie Joe weber grill! It was awesome, I was alone with a loaf of bread, next door invited me over for burgers and I had the bread they had no buns, then it totally POURED flooding all tents and about 10 of us all piled into sleep in one of the tiny, old vintage Lamb's cabins that one of their group had rented. That site next door had a "tiki bar" thing on it, sort of run down. Maybe that is why my PUP will eventually be the Tiki Pup once I get 'er done modified. Seriously one of the best impromptu parties I have ever had the privilege to attend...
    So... I guess Lamb's is Ok but I had only the one night to judge it by. It can be REAL chilly by the lake, just to warn you. Take warm clothes, even in July.